Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fix your clips!

Posted by WesBrooks 
Fix your clips!
December 05, 2018 03:50AM
Hi All,

Probably quite obvious to those who have been on here a while and as I type it is seems obvious to me too...

However, in the ever going effort to improve print quality I noticed that my bowden clip (on extruder) was waving more than royalty. Fixing this appears to have made a step change in part quality. There are many options for fatter clips or extruder designs with bowden connectors on them. As one of my current issues is accuracy printing a whole new extruder wasn't wise but the clips is simple enough to fettle to fit.
Re: Fix your clips!
December 05, 2018 04:00AM
Thanks for the tip.
What extruder are you printing?

I have noticed alot of slop between my z-axis gears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 04:01AM by Karoo Klong.
December 05, 2018 04:24AM
I'm putting off printing a new extruder for the time being as I would like to have a more detailed look at the belt extruder designs. However, that maybe forced on me early if this clip doesn't hold. If so I'll be looking for something very standard, just with a boss for a bowden connector with PTFE guide if needed.

There are herringbone gears (constant contact and no axial force that you would get with a plain helical gear) for the z-axis on thingverse. Search Ormerod and you will find masses of tuning options available.

My current drive on accuracy is in an effort to print the herringbone gear versions of the extruder gears.
December 05, 2018 05:00AM
WesBrooks
I'm putting off printing a new extruder for the time being as I would like to have a more detailed look at the belt extruder designs. However, that maybe forced on me early if this clip doesn't hold. If so I'll be looking for something very standard, just with a boss for a bowden connector with PTFE guide if needed.

There are herringbone gears (constant contact and no axial force that you would get with a plain helical gear) for the z-axis on thingverse. Search Ormerod and you will find masses of tuning options available.

My current drive on accuracy is in an effort to print the herringbone gear versions of the extruder gears.

I printed the herringbone gears when my printer was almost falling apart and they meshed very well together and I actually still use them. I have printed a new set but still need to assemble them.
The fisrst set I printed has been serving me very well.
The springloaded extruder design is very forgiving and keeps the gears meshing perfectly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login