Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D V6 - Should I change the stock print head?

Posted by Karoo Klong 
E3D V6 - Should I change the stock print head?
December 12, 2018 06:21AM
I will be printing mainly ABS and the occasional PLA for a friends model railroad diaramas. This means I need cooling fans and other diameter nozzles.
Changing the print head to the newer E3D V6 would make nozzle sizes a bit easier?
I believe I would have more clearance for part cooling fan options?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Ps. Something like this?
[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2018 02:25AM by Karoo Klong.
Re: E3D V6 - Should I change the stock print head?
December 13, 2018 02:20AM
Any advice will be appreciated.
December 13, 2018 04:57PM
Tomorrow will be my last chance at buying an E3D V6 hotend before going on holiday till next year mid January.
I have been searching Youtube and the internet on any advice if I should change the stock hotend but I can't rally decide. I know there are some Ormerod users who have changed over to E3D but I don't see any reviews from them.

I'm gonna spend some long hours with my printer and try to get it set up as best I possibly can.
December 14, 2018 02:01AM
If you only print PLA then in my experience the stock Ormerod 1 hot end is trouble-free; whereas the E3Dv6 is prone to jamming if you over-retract or you are careless when removing the filament. If you want to print materials that need higher temperatures, then the E3D may be a good investment.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 14, 2018 02:48AM
Karoo Klong
I will be printing mainly ABS and the occasional PLA for a friends model railroad diaramas. This means I need cooling fans and other diameter nozzles.
Changing the print head to the newer E3D V6 would make nozzle sizes a bit easier?
I believe I would have more clearance for part cooling fan options?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes i will make nozzle change easier ....and clearing a clogged one!

Yes there will be more room for a cooling duct as the E3D has less girth above the heat break but that all, you will still have to move the nozzle point down and away from the x-arm if you want to mount a proper cooling ring e.g the DiiiCooler, did a print and a test just for fun and its the cats meow - because the design of air flow is right

[www.thingiverse.com]

Ps. Something like this?
[www.thingiverse.com]

No, thats a silly thing :-)

Another option could be to go for the ormerod2 quick set nozzle (you will need the ormerod2 aluminium block) and have extra nozzle sizes ready mounted with bowden and brass end parts - will be a bit slower than changing nozzle on the E3D

..and mount the Cobra cooler when printing PLA

Erik
December 14, 2018 04:29AM
Thank you very much for the reply guys.

Hopefully I can still get hold of one and get to fiddle with it over the holidays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2018 04:36AM by Karoo Klong.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login