Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gaps in First Layer

Posted by rpbh99 
Gaps in First Layer
September 02, 2019 08:20AM
I have been using my Ormerod 2 fairly regularly for the last few years. Yesterday I needed a print that used most of the bed area. I am finding that the first layer does not seem to extrude as much PLA when the X value is greater than about 120. Instead of consecutive lines merging together, there is a gap between them. I had not changed any settings when this occurred and have done similar sized prints in the past.

I have manually re-levelled the bed and reset the Z home height. Also increased temperature of hot end and bed. I have even moved the extruder to the central position on the X-arm to reduce strain on the PTFE tube - nothing has improved the situation. I have carried out the standard maintenance (nozzle clean, lube, belt tension etc)

Does anyone have any suggestions please? I am getting quite desperate to get a decent print again. Smallish prints are fine.

Thanks

Bob
Re: Gaps in First Layer
September 03, 2019 04:19PM
It sounds like you need to use mesh bed compensation.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 04, 2019 08:52AM
Thanks DC42.
I don't know why it took me so long to find the problem, but it was actually the Z sensor moving slightly when the printer was carrying out the bed compensation readings. A dab of superglue fixed it!

That said, I think it is time I carried out some updates. Is your Z probe board still available, and can you point me at a link for your latest firmware (and instructions) please? I am still using the original RepRapPro firmware.
September 05, 2019 05:10AM
I'm glad you found the problem. I no longer sell the Ormerod-specific hot end board, but the mini IR sensor is available here [www.duet3d.com] and from E3D and other Duet3D distributors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 05:10AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login