Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Twin nozzle

Posted by sinnedwrong 
Twin nozzle
January 12, 2021 08:13AM
I'm in the process of upgrading my ormerod 2 to a twin nozzle and I've a fairly simple question. In the single nozzle configuration the active nozzle (tool 0) is farthest from the Z axis. My question is in a twin configuration is that still the case? The reason for my question is in the original reprappro supplied config.g there is the following:

M563 P0 D0 H1 ; Define tool 0
G10 P0 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
;M563 P1 D1 H2 ; Define tool 1, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade
;G10 P1 X19 S-273 R-273 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures, uncomment if you have a dual colour upgrade

which I read as the second tool (tool1) being 19mm from Tool 0 in a positive direction, i.e. towards the front of the machine. It's not clear to me whether G10 would even allow negative values (i.e. -19)

TIA

sinnedwrong
Re: Twin nozzle
January 12, 2021 01:51PM
G10 does allow negative values. On my dual nozzle Ormerod, the tools have equal but opposite X offsets.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 13, 2021 09:32AM
Why are things never straightforward?

I use Slic3r as my slicer and I have just noted under the printer settings tab of Slic3R there is the option of entering an Extruder offset for multi-extruder printers. I suspect this is for those printers not using the highly sophisticated Duet Reprap firmware and that the offsets should solely be entered into the G10 command in config.g with the default in Slic3R being left as zero. That way the Duet firmware will sort it out.

Am I correct?
January 14, 2021 01:32AM
You are correct. Likewise you don't need to set up tool change scripts in the slicer, because any operations needed such as retraction and repriming can be done in the tool change files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 01:35AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login