Cracked PLA parts on Ormerod
March 02, 2021 11:28AM
Hi All,

Have had a look at my printer after a couple of years of not using it and a house move in between, and quite a few of the PLA parts have cracked.
I suspect I may have overtightened some of the screws, but am I better off reprinting in ABS or something else to avoid similar problems in the future?
Re: Cracked PLA parts on Ormerod
March 02, 2021 05:27PM
Here's some photos of the affected parts

Z motor mount cracks

different angle of Z motor mount cracks

z bearing clamp crack

March 03, 2021 02:21AM
The Z motor mount crack is fairly common. There is a beefed-up design to replace it, on Thingiverse AFAIR.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 03, 2021 02:38AM
dc42
The Z motor mount crack is fairly common. There is a beefed-up design to replace it, on Thingiverse AFAIR.
Great thanks David. Will look to use that.
Was this the one you were thinking of?
[www.thingiverse.com]
March 03, 2021 11:16AM
Yes, that looks like the one that I used.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 15, 2021 02:06PM
Vertikar
Hi All,

Have had a look at my printer after a couple of years of not using it and a house move in between, and quite a few of the PLA parts have cracked.
I suspect I may have overtightened some of the screws, but am I better off reprinting in ABS or something else to avoid similar problems in the future?

All of these (and more) have cracked over the years for me, I have reprinted them in PLA, just found a better ones, more robust so to say. And its all working nicely ever since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login