Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing Conditions

Posted by Wallmaster 
Printing Conditions
December 16, 2013 10:16PM
Anyone know the effects of low humidity and a RepRap using PLA or ABS ?
Re: Printing Conditions
December 17, 2013 05:29PM
I have also noted: that when the nozzle temperature is set wrong I see puffs of gas/smoke coming from the nozzle. Some may say the filament is wet and its burning off the excess moisture.
I would guess that its just one the normal liquid elements ( Possibly Water Based ) in the filament that would usually evaporate slower and you would not see it. Most likely during the cooling phase.
I would also venture to guess further, that this is why recycled plastic is of "lower quality " due to some of its more liquid elements burning off and it becomes less of the desired combination that makes the plastic we want.
January 26, 2014 11:47PM
Had to get rid of wind tunnel to print some ABS ON 8CuP, namely put Styrofoam in the basement window, and install on/off switches on 5 80mm fans. Big Fans I know, but they were retrofitted after the printer was built and they dint cost anything.
Seems to be good though, no edges curling, and the bed is achieving better temperatures and the surface has even temps.
January 26, 2014 11:58PM
Printing ABS directly on glass now, using Elmers disappearing purple glue stick at around 100c.
Tricks that work for me seem to be :
1) Put light coat of glue on clean cold glass and let dry for 10 minutes.
2) Clean off after a couple days and re-apply, or it will loose its gusto after being hot and cold a lot.
3) Don't put on hot, and don't add when hot. it doesn't work well. matter of fact about all you can really get away with is a light touch up.
4) I wash it off with a cleaning wipe like Clorox, then clean with glass cleaner. But you can use soap and water I guess.

As far as I know it works well for PLA also, but I have not tried it yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login