Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introductions

Posted by mrmcdougal 
Introductions
January 10, 2014 10:13AM
Fellow Hillbilly Nerds!

I live in central Arkansas and would love to connect with other folks interested in 3D Printing. I work in the education industry and have recently finished a Prusa i3 single frame. Please introduce yourself and lets get a group going.

mrmcdougal.com
Re: Introductions
January 10, 2014 10:24AM
Hey fellow Arkansas reprapers,

I live in central Arkansas and work with mrmcdougal. I have been following behind him also building a Prusa i3. I still need to order a couple of things to get going.
January 10, 2014 10:24AM
I live in Hot Springs and would also love to connect with 3D printers/hackers in central Arkansas. I am a computer science teach at ASMSA (Arkansas School for Mathematics Sciences and the Arts). I am the inventor of Thor Simpson, GUS Simpson, Wally, Sextupteron, and LISA Simpson. As you can probably tell I am a card carrying member of the ACL (Anti-Cartesian League).

I would like to establish an informal meeting that happens once a month or every other month. Crossing my fingers that there are some other fellow local hackers that would be interested.

ConceptFORGE.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 10:45AM by nicholas.seward.
January 14, 2014 10:57PM
Hi folks,
I'm not a RepRapper yet, but I get to play with a Makerbot at work and a Qu-bd One Up at home. I would love to get together with folks sometime to talk about 3d printing. Joel Gordon at the new Argenta Launch Pad would gladly host a merry band such as us. Nicholas.Seward, I was just reading the article in the Times today and was blown away by your designs. Would love to see one of those in person!
Let's do this!
-J
January 27, 2014 11:48AM
JGSteward we are all going to the Feb 4th meeting at Argenta if you are interested. It will be our first meeting and we would love to see you there if you are interested? I think Joel is the speaker that night as well.

Mark
February 07, 2014 01:12AM
I'm from Russellville...by way of White Hall, Watson Chapel, Van Buren, Fayetteville, and Little Rock (not in that order). All of those moves, except one, were related to full-time job changes in the Arkansas Army National Guard. Now, I'm a full-time Mechanical Engineering student at Arkansas Tech. As an MCEG student, I'm a freshman/sophomore. But, I've accrued enough credits to be considered a Junior. It's kind of nice because I get to register along with the real juniors, so I don't have to be in front of my computer at 12:01am with my freshman/sophomore counterparts. I hope to one day find a job in mechatronics. Building games for places like Chuck E. Cheese or Playtime Pizza would be awesome. Working at DARPA would also be an enjoyable experience. Wait...those are basically the same thing, right? One makes toys for kids and the other for science?

I do not have a 3D printer, but I did build a MDF-based CNC last fall. Well, almost. I ran out of warm weather before I finished mounting the Dremel Flexarm. I would like to put an extruder/hot end on the CNC, but I have yet do any thermal simulations in SoldiWorks.

I'm also in to flying quadcopters. Speaking of that...Nicholas...I am glad to see a computer guy that actually knows a thing or two about mechanics. If a person has the intelligence to attend MIT, then why would he try to build a quadcopter out of PCB? Though I did enjoy watching him use a strobe light to calculate the frequency of the vibrations oscillating through the PCB (which was not his actual assignment). Anyways...I intend to catch up on the Sextupteron Extreme forum tomorrow. I considered designing something like this as a CNC mill. I may only be a fresh-more, but I'm a jack-of-all trades (only a master at keeping my ex-wife made at me).

I also enjoy working on various Arduino projects. Once warmer weather comes back around and I finish the CNC (which will allow me to wrap up some other projects fairly rapidly), I would like to build a RC lawnmower with multiple Wi-Fi video feeds. The main goal is to allow me to mow the lawn while it is 110 degrees outside and I remain indoors. Even though I am likely to be a direct descendant of Admiral Grace Harper who said, "Laziness is the mother of invention." She also coined the term, "debugging" a computer system. The main constraint of this project is safety. Since I do live in the mosquito state, I would also like to have a laser mosquito zapper. But when I looked into the designs a few months ago, I had a lot of safety concerns.

My #1 hobby is "productive procrastination." It's a mindset that allows me to procrastinate completing my homework, as long as I am doing something productive!! lol Just kidding...(sort of)

My actual #1 hobby is being a dad to my 11 year-old daughter. But she lives in Pine Bluff, so I only get to see her 4 days a month.

Anyways time to go learn something...
August 11, 2014 07:59AM
I am located in pine bluff and am working on my Wilson TS, hope to have it finished in a week or two. I would love to talk with other from around here about 3d printing/printers etc. I work at SEARK college here in PB. Let me know how to contact someone, I would be interested in a meet up.
August 12, 2014 01:29PM
Too bad we are all spread out. Luckily, there are some early plans of having a serious Maker Faire in Little Rock this spring. I will keep you posted.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
August 12, 2014 01:39PM
yes, please keep me informed, I would be very interested in participating in a mini maker faire.
August 12, 2014 03:26PM
@scottie4442: The plans are to make it more than a mini fair. I think this year will be small but the fair space and the geographic location should make it pretty popular.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
December 19, 2014 02:33PM
Hey guys, I'm up by the Fayetteville area attending the UofA for computer engineering. Still pretty early on, so I haven't taken all the cool classes yet. Scored a pretty cool job at the university working with some of their 3D printers (Stratsys Uprint Plus (Not a bad setup)).

Anyways, it helped push me to the point of wanting to build my own, which I will probably be attempting over the Christmas break. It would be great to maybe meet up with some of you guys and see your designs and what not.

- Josh
January 31, 2015 07:00PM
Hello guys/gals,

I'm out in Pocahontas, working on building a Mendel 90.

-Michael

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
October 20, 2020 04:49PM
Hello everyone!

I live in Fort Smith and am starting a Fab Lab here. I'm started using Marlin and RepRap to make a scratch built pancake printer. I've been at it for about a week and have an initial frame built and the dual-X motors and single Y-motor working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login