Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not possible to home Z due to the lenght of Stepper Motors?

Posted by Xhnnas 
Not possible to home Z due to the lenght of Stepper Motors?
September 07, 2014 01:15PM
Hi everybody. I finished my build today and startet with the homing routine. Unfortunately I'm not able to home the Z axis. The Stepper Motor for the X Axis is touching the extruder motor before the endstops can be activated. It hits the motor ound about 5mm before the bed surface.

Any Ideas what to do?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20140907_190633.jpg (428.8 KB)
Re: Not possible to home Z due to the lenght of Stepper Motors?
September 07, 2014 03:42PM
hi xhnnas,

Damned.. I had that before with 48mm motors.

Which version of head attachment are you using ? ( end_huxley, or endx_jhead? ) . There must be some different versions for different motors length. If we can't find i will redo one anyway .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
September 07, 2014 03:48PM
It's the j head lite attachment form version 4.9.1 from thingiverse.
September 07, 2014 10:48PM
There is definitely no need to use 48mm motors.
I am using 40mm motors on all my i3 machines which need more power than a Smartrap, and I am also using 40mm and even 35mm motors on the Smartraps.
48mm motors are simply overkill.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
September 08, 2014 12:27AM
you're right regpye.. I would easy try to make a nema14 smartrap ..but they are usually more expensive than 17 smiling smiley one day maybe. it can be nice to have an even smaller one smiling smiley

I will put a endX_jheadlite for 48mm .. i think i have one somewhere.. i will update soon

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
September 08, 2014 03:14AM
regpye
There is definitely no need to use 48mm motors.
I am using 40mm motors on all my i3 machines which need more power than a Smartrap, and I am also using 40mm and even 35mm motors on the Smartraps.
48mm motors are simply overkill.

that might be correct, unfortunately I only had these Motors available. Second: Due to this issue, I'm not able to print spare parts, I ordered the Kit in the internet. I've to adjust the bed height maybe some wood or something like that.
September 08, 2014 05:23AM
ho ok.

yes, the only solution i see is to level up the bed. you can do that with wood plank , fixed using the holes for glass holders ( 4 holes M3) , then maybe you can fix the glass holders on the plank , then the glass on the plank too. you should be high enough ?

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
September 08, 2014 05:31AM
smartfriendz
ho ok.

yes, the only solution i see is to level up the bed. you can do that with wood plank , fixed using the holes for glass holders ( 4 holes M3) , then maybe you can fix the glass holders on the plank , then the glass on the plank too. you should be high enough ?

It is not such a bad thing to do, because you can then attach a heated bed easier too if you want to. the wooden slats insulate the heat from the bed from the plastic printed Y ends.

[regpye.com.au]
September 08, 2014 07:27AM
exact reg smiling smiley

I'm trying again to simplify my endY parts ( too big and not good to fix on the rods) . Maybe i will re-integrate some wood or aluminium profile on top to fix all that better smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
September 10, 2014 03:03AM
Finally, I used 6mm Plywood, 1mm felt (? correct english word?) and on the top a Mk3 alu heatbed (yet not soldered, because I don't know how to solder it). The first test went fine, I used UHU gluestick to get the PLA stick to the bed. I printed a 20mm Box and it turned out 19,95x19,99 - Unfortunately the Z height was wrong with 23,xxcm, but this is dued to the wrong steps (I'm using 8mm threated rods with 1,5er Leadscrew instead of normal 1,25)
September 13, 2014 08:25PM
what about turning the x axis upside down?

with the motor on top...
September 13, 2014 11:19PM
BackEMF
what about turning the x axis upside down?

with the motor on top...

How about putting the motor on the side?
I have built eleven SmartRaps, nine of them being completely different from each other, trying to find out what works best.
The last design was a total failure, so I abandoned that one.
The eighth design works the very best. It overcomes just about all the problems, is a bigger build, easy to put together, uses similar parts except for the printed parts.
It does not look like anything the original SmartRap is.
If there is any interest in this design, I will add the rest of the parts to my website for free download.

[regpye.com.au]
September 15, 2014 02:58AM
Hi reg,

I find this one really interesting and would like to try it at some time ? I'm quiet sure it's more stable than the common smartrap smiling smiley

If it word like i think, i would be very glad to propose it as an option on our files repo or thingiverse ? ( or the best would be you posting it of course smiling smiley

It looks really great !

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
September 15, 2014 03:07AM
I will gather the files together and place them on my website. I don't like using Thingiverse because of the way it is setup and abused by the owners.
Anyone that wants the files will be able to download for free, some are already up there, i.e. "stand alone Y axis", :Geared Extruder".
If I add the Z axis and the mounting plates, and the X axis they will all be available.
I will also add the sizes of the rods I am using.
The NEME17 motors are all 40mm, but could be 35mm as they are more than powerful enough.
Hotend designed for Genie MK1 and needs a 30mm fan.
It will take me a few days because I am off sick at present, should be back to normal by the end of the week.

[regpye.com.au]
September 15, 2014 08:38AM
Thank you very much reg.

You're right about thingiverse.. i'm trying to find another place to live with published files.. i guess i will find eventually smiling smiley

sorry to hear you are sick ? i hope it's just a cold ? and you will go fine very soon ..

I will print this version , i'm sure there's a lot to learn form it. thank you again for all this work on the model !

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login