Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dan's Build

Posted by ldanut 
Dan's Build
July 16, 2014 06:47AM
Hi guys. I want to share my experience with you regarding my smartrap build. I really liked the design of it as being evolutive. Now I'm at thirdh iteration of improvements. First I started with plain 0.47 version using fishing lines.
Since fishing line doesn't play well directly to motor axe I switched to belt design based on thingiverse:290851 and also took the tensioner from thingiverse:143410. I had to change steps for unit for Y to 100 and for X to 186 to make it print correct. Also at higher speeds the base is not stable enought and I used ideas from thingiverse:260187. I also added a fan for ramps and some LEDS to print head.
Next I implemented the z wobble backlash solution from thingiverse:220037 along with Z Rod Constraint thingiverse:9864 Since these was done for 8mm screw I used some M8 to M5 nuts adapters that worked just fine. After the upgrade I printed the spool holder from thingiverse:60352 to see how good the prints go. I was very impressed with the quality of the results. Also I tried a print with ABS with bed heated at 100C and it went without any heating problems. You must have a fan to blow over the RAMPS since things get hot in there smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 06:58AM by ldanut.

[www.build3dparts.com]
[www.3dhubs.com]
Re: Dan's Build
July 16, 2014 06:49AM
Finally I replaced the entire X axis with the 0.49 version of smartrap since I wasn't very pleased with autoleveling mechanism. I really liked the simple probing mechanism from 0.49 using the hot end tip and a micro swich. It works very nice. The only thing it needed was a small spring to push down the hot end. Also because I wasn't very pleased with the travel speed on Z axis I replaced the 5mm screw with a 8mm lead screw with 8mm travel for a full revolution. I can say its a big difference because it fixes the small blobs of plastic generated by hot end staying too long still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 06:58AM by ldanut.
July 16, 2014 06:56AM
Some prints done with ABS mostly:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 07:01AM by ldanut.
July 16, 2014 07:21AM
Hi Dan ,

I think we will have a lot of wow, aaaww and compliments on the next posts smiling smiley

Impressive !

I think i'm going to try the 8mm for z axis ? I've never thought it could be a problem or that 8mm could make it better. thank you for the tricks.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
July 16, 2014 09:59AM
Yup, really great build, and nice upgrades...
July 16, 2014 10:32AM
smartfriendz
I think i'm going to try the 8mm for z axis ? I've never thought it could be a problem or that 8mm could make it better. thank you for the tricks.

Serge,
have you also noticed the symmetric placement of the belts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2014 10:38AM by cristian.
July 16, 2014 10:52AM
Yes christian,

But i wanted to use only one bearing tongue sticking out smiley hehe. like there's no cheap saving ? If we can't find a good way to make the axis straight, i will come back to this solution ( the first smartrap doing this was back in december). The other problem is that i removed the support you see here.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
July 17, 2014 04:39AM
Thanks for your feedback. It will still be an ongoing refinement. I plan to add a filament jam detector that will pause and retract the head until the issue is fixed. Actually this is something I want to add to all my printers.
Also I think I need to replace base plate and Y plate since new mechanism to hold the bearings are a lot better and remove any play. Right now on Y axis I have some play at higher speeds. Does in github in release Y plates use also 6mm rods?

Dan.

[www.build3dparts.com]
[www.3dhubs.com]
July 17, 2014 04:53AM
yes and no. The main real ease uses now 6mm rods , but there is a 049 version for 8mm rods ( stl/dev/049_8mm/ ) . There is only one plate there for now. i need to re-export all parts from the blender . Will be done soon i think .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
July 18, 2014 02:45AM
Well done Dan,
Prints look very good.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
July 18, 2014 04:20AM
Thanks. On my upgrade process I think I produced about two kits of 0.47 version. If someone want to start a smartrap from them and upgrade I will give them for free. I will make a picture with parts that I have. You just need to support the shipping that should not be that high sent by letter.

[www.build3dparts.com]
[www.3dhubs.com]
September 29, 2014 03:16AM
Great printer !
Bravo (Romanian)
What is the cost of this SmartRap in Romanian RON and EURO ?
October 02, 2014 04:12AM
I think its one of the cheapest you can build. What I liked most was the simplicity of the build. The smart thing about it its the arrangement of the stepper motors and plastic part design that reduce the types of parts to be used to minimum. Easy to build and with some calibration and tuning you can get a nice printer.
October 13, 2014 09:09AM
Very very pretty Dan. I'm inspired to try the Z upgrade, at some point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login