Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

8 mm pieces?

Posted by loidor 
8 mm pieces?
December 23, 2014 02:17PM
Right, so when I get home after Christmas I'll start to print my smartrap parts. However, which axes (axises? Axi?) are currently using 6 mm rod? I'm asking because I will need to remix those pieces to 8 mm (if someone hasn't done so already and want to share the source).

A very politically correct Happy Holidays to you all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 02:17PM by loidor.
Re: 8 mm pieces?
December 23, 2014 05:31PM
The X and Y axis use 6mm rod. You'll need to revise at least the X and Y bearing holders and the ends where the rods attach. With a larger bearing the center lines will be at a different location but as long as they line up between the bearing holders and the ends you'll be good to go.

In the Blender files Serge has an 8 mm version but I've only look at it but not used it or generated STLs. In my supply chain it's easier for me to get 8mm parts. The 6 mm and 8 mm bearings are the same price and the rods are only a few percent less expensive and not as available from my suppliers. I went with the 6 mm to keep the kit in sync with the main branch.
December 24, 2014 03:18AM
Ah, thanks! I'll have a look at the blender files, and if that's not doing it for me, I'll apply some redesign =)

Thing is, it's next to impossible scoring 6mm rod where I live (Sweden), so it's 8mm or no rod at all, and that seems a bit dull.
December 27, 2014 06:27AM
Right, so let's see... From what I can tell, the following are the pieces I need in an 8 mm version:

endx_back
endx_jhead
endy_back
endy_front
plateX
plateY
plate_base

Is there something I've missed?

Also, I've noticed there are two different direct drives, one 7mm and one 10mm. I'm not clear on the difference between those.
January 01, 2015 08:39AM
Right, all 8mm pieces have been extracted from the blender files and put into separate STLs.

However, I'm still not sure about the 7mm and 10mm idle versions. What's the difference? What's the measurement referring to? I guess the 10mm version is the commonly used since that's been longer in the repo.
January 01, 2015 09:24AM
Nevermind, after reading about drive gears, I learned that MK8 have a hob diameter of 7mm and MK7 have a hob diameter of 10,56mm.

I suggest a name change of the parts to directdrive_idle_mk7 and -mk8 to make it easier to understand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login