Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My SMartRapCore Build

Posted by rcjoseb 
My SMartRapCore Build
April 19, 2015 11:47PM
I have built the box and am in the process of printing the parts. So far so good :-)
Attachments:
open | download - Box - Small.jpg (41.7 KB)
Re: My SMartRapCore Build
April 23, 2015 12:56AM
My SmartRap has been printing SmartRapCore parts like crazy. including spares of each just in case. I had a few issues with a broken X plate so I had to jimmy rig it which resulted in horrible prints. After some frustrating hours it's finally printing again except this time I am using frog tape on the glass instead of the Elmer's purple glue stick. First layer quality and overall quality are way better. No more glue stick for me :-)

Smooth rods are cut and dry fitted in the box. I plan on using two Y assemblies to better support the print bed. So far so good!
Attachments:
open | download - DSC00915.JPG (201.2 KB)
open | download - DSC00916.JPG (201.8 KB)
open | download - DSC00917.JPG (194.5 KB)
open | download - DSC00918.JPG (201.1 KB)
open | download - DSC00919.JPG (193.3 KB)
open | download - DSC00920.JPG (269.7 KB)
April 23, 2015 10:18AM
Looks Good. I like the open sided box too.
April 23, 2015 11:00AM
Looking mighty fine, mighty fine indeed. Curious how your experience with the belt driven z goes, just makes me super nervous. Are you planing on driving it with 2 motors? I had thoughts of running a 5mm rod from one side to the other with some bearing blocks supporting it to the bottom of the bed, pulley's on both sides, and one in the middle driven by a single motor. Similar thoughts on driving 2 lead screws with a single motor and a belt, I really need to get into modeling it out. Keep up the good work man.
April 23, 2015 11:14AM
If you choose to do the belt system djinn5150 described then have a spare 110 tooth GT2 closed loop belt I can throw in the mail to you.

Jerry, been thinking of linking the threaded rods on my ordbot for a while now... so I'd be interested in seeing that...
April 23, 2015 12:21PM
Mike, where did you source your belt? I am guessing here but from what i can find on ebay the closed loops are measured by teeth count? McMaster doesnt have gt2 from what i can tell but I will try to mock something up later today, mine is so wide its gonna take one long belt, thinking skate bearings for "idlers", Might have to go with printed pulley's on the 8mm rods if we can't find 8mm shaft pulley's easily enough. Ok, enough hijacking rc's thread...I will continue this on my build lol
April 23, 2015 01:45PM
Thanks for the compliments. Each z axis will have its own motor and GT2 belt.

The single belt/motor/threaded rod sounds like a good idea as well. Now you have me thinking too! Another way it can be done is to use a dual shaft Nema 17 motor. Attach a 5mm threaded rod or 5mm drill rod to each side of the shaft with a coupler and the ends of the rods to a pulley/belt.

Closed GT2 belt on ebay.
[www.ebay.com]

Here's an 8mm bore 20t pulley if you want to go with 8mm rods
[www.ebay.com]

Here's a dual shaft Nema17
[www.ebay.com]

Another way is to do a direct drive. Print the gears like you would for a wades extruder, one for the motor and the other for the shaft.
April 23, 2015 02:05PM
rcjoseb
Thanks for the compliments. Each z axis will have its own motor and GT2 belt.

The single belt/motor/threaded rod sounds like a good idea as well. Now you have me thinking too! Another way it can be done is to use a dual shaft Nema 17 motor. Attach a 5mm threaded rod or 5mm drill rod to each side of the shaft with a coupler and the ends of the rods to a pulley/belt.

Closed GT2 belt on ebay.
[www.ebay.com]

Here's an 8mm bore 20t pulley if you want to go with 8mm rods
[www.ebay.com]

Here's a dual shaft Nema17
[www.ebay.com]

Another way is to do a direct drive. Print the gears like you would for a wades extruder, one for the motor and the other for the shaft.

Thanks for the links, the only problem I see with the dual shaft/coupler thoughts is more potential for slippage at the motor, I am always tightening grub screws, of course we have the potential for this on a belt driven drive axle but, if you used threaded rod you could use jam nuts, at least on the center pulley to lock it in place, and flatten or diviet the ends for the pulley's. Of course 5mm threaded rod is not 5mm in diam :/ Gears could work but ideally i think you would want a 1:1 turning ratio to keep steps and speeds accurate, Of course this all works for the belt driven z, not so much on the leadscrew Z I am really contemplating upgrading mine to actual lead screws vs threaded rod, spendy but in the long run I think they will be worth it.
http://openbuildspartstore.com/8mm-metric-acme-lead-screw/
April 23, 2015 02:38PM
Thanks for the link. I have always wanted to buid a CNC machine and the stuff they sell looks perfect. Maybe one day :-)
April 27, 2015 12:03AM
I found an issue with the bottom Z axis mount or may be it's just me. The mount, in my case, when attached to the motor does not allow the motor to sit flush/flat at the bottom of the box. I also noticed that I can wiggle the motor up and down because it's only held in with two screws. Play = sloppy Z axis..

I found this simple bracket on thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com]. I am printing one out now and my plan is to use the bottom Z axis mount just to keep the Z axis rods in pace. The motor will then be mounted on this mount and butted up right against the Z axis mount. There should be plenty of space for the GT2 pulley as well.

With the motor in its own mount you can replace the motor without having to take the whole Z axis apart.
April 27, 2015 01:41AM
That motor mount did the trick. I took advantage of the situation and used some rubber underneath the motor to dampen vibration. I also created a hole underneath the motor to run the motor wires through.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC01091 - Copy.JPG (338.9 KB)
open | download - DSC01092 - Copy.JPG (339.7 KB)
April 27, 2015 09:45AM
Looks good.
April 28, 2015 11:53PM
Making good progress. All of the printer's necessary parts are printed and now I am just working on the extras.

The rear Z axis is done and installed (first pic)
Using PVC pipe, M5 threaded rod, washers, nuts etc. I created a reel holder (2nd pic)

I printed this thing (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26710) and am using just the guide mounted to an M5 threaded rod. The PLA will pass through there, get dusted off and coated with some Canolia oil before heading to the Bowden Extruder and then onto its death by 210C heat :-)
Attachments:
open | download - Dsc01095.png (372.3 KB)
open | download - Dsc01094.png (354.6 KB)
April 29, 2015 11:23PM
On my SmartRap, I have a print bed fan zip tied to the cables and it works just fine at cooling the PLA.

Now I need a way to do the same on the SmartRap but the inductive sensor is going to be in the way so what could I do? Why not have the sensor hold the fan? I took some measurements of the sensor arm, fired up TinkerCad and made a similar arm but a little longer and without the notch. It's actually my first 3D printed object in TinkerCad.

It fits on the sensor perfectly and the fan gets zip tied to it facing down. I hope it works and doesn't throw the sensor off. Only time will tell :-)

Jose

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 11:24PM by rcjoseb.
April 30, 2015 03:33PM

This was my solution for the fan, just model up a plate to mount to the backside of the head with a groove in it to accept a 3mm screw, the plate helps to equalize the tension on the front and back from the belts and gives you a nice place to mount a fan or anything else your hear desires grinning smiley
April 30, 2015 05:38PM
Good idea as well. I have a spare base attachment plate already and all i would have to do is flip it the opposite way and mount with longer screws. Hmmm
April 30, 2015 10:50PM
While playing around with the idea of using the spare hot end base plate as a mount for the fan I realized that it can be used to mount two hot ends, one in the front and the other in the back, instead of side by side. I do not know if this would work but hey the mount works!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 10:50PM by rcjoseb.
April 30, 2015 11:13PM
It can indeed work just fine, you just set your offset in the y axis, actually in the firmware there is y/x offsets for each hotend. although if they have any height difference on the nozzles it becomes a real PITA, you also need an extra (offset*2) or you loose that space when printing from both nozzles...ie, they both need to reach front and back, I might be off on the *2 but its what I figured my build for anyway.
May 01, 2015 03:18AM
Hey djinn5150.

I wanted to utilize your design of a plate in the back to mount the fan but I also wanted a way to support the cable loom so it stood above the hot end vertically. I came up with a T style bracket that gets screwed onto the hot end carriage from behind. The front of the T holds the loom and the back the fan. I designed it in TinkerCad.

May 06, 2015 05:56PM
I've updated my build log woth a few PDF's showing detailed build steps. Videos will be up soon on my youtube channel as well.

[smartrapbuild.wordpress.com]
May 14, 2015 12:20AM
Double Z axis is installed but not tested under power..

The print bed is made from a 12" x 12" x .0.03" sheet of PEI taped to a 12" x 12" piece of aluminum flashing and then placed on top of a 12" x 12" piece of luan. The whole thing is then clipped in place onto the aluminum/G10 supports which are screwed into the Z axis slides.

May 14, 2015 06:07AM
what a work !

I'm very impreesed and curious to see the double Z axis working smiling smiley You will have one before us here . hehe .

Also, can i make a link to your documentation too ? from reprap.org ? I'm building a page for the smartrapcore there too ( didn't have time until now ) . It's so good work !

thank you

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 14, 2015 10:08AM
Great Work!
May 14, 2015 10:21AM
Hi Serge:

Yes, please link away. I would be honored!

Thanks,

Jose
May 14, 2015 10:21AM
Thanks Mike!
May 14, 2015 11:16AM
What are those black bearings you are using? Do they work better than the crappy quality Chinese LM8UU bearings?

I like your double Z axis!
May 14, 2015 01:15PM
Hi Sethmo:

Thanks.

They're actually PLA bushings that I printed on my SmartRap. Very quiet and smooth! They're not in production yet so I don't know how well they are going to last but definately better than the crappy Chinese ones.

This is the one for 8mm rods and they adjust really quickly to the rods with just a few strokes back and forth. It's the only one I found that does this wihout too much work. I used scad to change the length so that I used just one bushing for each size of the Z support instead of two bearings.

[www.thingiverse.com]

You can use this one for the 6mm rods
[www.thingiverse.com]

or even better

You can use the same scad file, adjust the inner and outer diameter, and use them for 6mm rods as well. Inner diameter will be around 6mm and outside diameter around 12mm with a length of 20mm

Jose
May 26, 2015 03:48PM
Build videos uploaded to my channel:

[www.youtube.com]
May 27, 2015 03:24AM
wow. thank you Jose , it's really big and great job .

can i link your videos form our chanel ? i noticed your english accent is a litle better than mine smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 27, 2015 10:46AM
Yes, of course you can link to them. I would be honored! You should hear my French spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login