Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SmartRap 3D printer

Posted by kfootball15 
SmartRap 3D printer
January 26, 2014 11:42PM
Hey guys,

So the Smartrap 3D printer [reprap.org] doesn't start selling kits until March, so I wanted to try and build one myself before hand.

I have most of the parts but there are a few that I am unsure about.

I've attached an image with the parts in question circled. (PS: I know that is a J-Head Hotend, I am just unclear about all those wires, especially the thick white one).

Let me know if you guys can decipher what they are! I would appreciate it so so so much!!!! smiling smiley

Thanks,
Jeff
Attachments:
open | download - All2.jpg (310.4 KB)
Re: SmartRap 3D printer
January 27, 2014 12:37AM
From left to right:

The two small wires could be the spectra line, as the smartrap doesn't use belts to drive the axis.

4 pololu stepper drivers.

The thick white wire is ptfe tubing.

Last, but not least, this could be the filament drive gear.
January 28, 2014 07:03PM
I've started a thread that I'd like people to start posting all stuff from it in here for now on. We've come up with this with great thanks to Stonedcoldskier.

[forums.reprap.org]

Here's a link to the original thread.

[forums.reprap.org]
January 29, 2014 10:12AM
Brad -
The link above is for iteration 2 of my BOM. I have attached the third, with the only change being 8mm rods on the avice of CDRU. I think it's pretty well refined, but it would be great if more people would weigh-in. I will also forward it to Derek at Robtodigg.com to see if we can get a solid shipping quote.
Attachments:
open | download - SmartrapBom3.xlsx (14.6 KB)
January 31, 2014 04:05AM
Hello,

Just a little post to say i'm following this thread ( of course smiling smiley and I'm actually busy updating assembly videos : [www.youtube.com]

It's in french right now , but will be updated with english version ( with this nice little french accent smiling smiley very soon .

thank you

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
February 03, 2014 05:33AM
Nice youtube-videos! Thanks for supplementing with an english version and using 720p resolution smiling smiley

torbjornludvigsen.com
February 14, 2014 06:26PM
Thx tobben,

sorry for the late reply smiling smiley

Now there's a full build ( ONE hour ) in english.. ish tongue sticking out smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
February 14, 2014 07:10PM
Nice work! smiling smiley Attaching a picture of the Smartrap that me and my girlfriend are building together. Tomorrow it will get it's electronics smiling smiley We will definitely check out all the videos.

The purple electronics frame (on the picture) is for our Arduino Mega (Sainsmart, I don't know if that matters). Will report and share if it works as expected ;P

torbjornludvigsen.com
Attachments:
open | download - DSCF3425_small.jpg (582.4 KB)
February 16, 2014 04:36PM
My quote from Robitdigg right before I ordered was 38 USD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 04:52PM by BradStaff.
February 17, 2014 10:46AM
Brad - did you buy your smooth rods from them too? I see that they now sell them in a 6-pack of 492mm rods.
March 07, 2014 06:44PM
This is my first post into reprap comunity. First of all I want to say hi to everybody for this fantastic work that have been done in this 3d printer comunity. I'm on my way building a reprap printer and already printed all the plastics and sourced almost all the parts. Can someone tell me what is the exact type of servo motor? I already purchased two variants from ebay and both are too big to fit into huxley end x part. I have this 9G SG90 type but I need a smaller one and I can't find it.

Thanks
March 08, 2014 12:00PM
I'v been looking hard at this one my own self and you are correct, I have not found any reference as to what size servo is being used. That begin said, taking a measurement of the slot where the servo is to be placed, it seems that your going to be wanting one of the small sub 5g types. Be careful as they come in several sizes but something like this - [www.hobbyking.com] or this [www.hobbyking.com] or this - [www.hobbyking.com]

Your wanting one with an 8 or 9 mm width. Most of the 5g and the 9g servos are ~12mm wide.

I'm hoping to get one of these together soon as it looks like it should make for a good first printer. I'm liking the simplicity of the unit and I think I can get one put together for ~$250 US including graphical LCD. smiling smiley Just so long as i stay away from that one on line shop that wanted to charge $48.00 shipping for $60.00 worth of parts.eye popping smiley

Mark
March 08, 2014 12:32PM
ldanut
This is my first post into reprap comunity. First of all I want to say hi to everybody for this fantastic work that have been done in this 3d printer comunity. I'm on my way building a reprap printer and already printed all the plastics and sourced almost all the parts. Can someone tell me what is the exact type of servo motor? I already purchased two variants from ebay and both are too big to fit into huxley end x part. I have this 9G SG90 type but I need a smaller one and I can't find it.

Thanks

From thingiverse coments:

"I use the basic model from pololu : [www.pololu.com]

Works perfectly. The servo holder is designed for it , so you're sure it works well."

smiling smiley
March 17, 2014 04:11AM
Hello world!
This is my first reprap project also. I chose this model due to the simplicity which looks appealing to somone not as "maker inclined" as most on here. I've messed with arduino a little, mainly LED projects but wanted something more mechanically challenging. So far I have assembled all of the frame and am now working on electronics. I will post pics shortly, but my conecern today is wiring my endstops. I've seen people talk about only using 2 wires from the endstops to the ramps but I have yet to see how they connect. (i.e. NC to which pin) I have tried searching the forums and get conflicting information about marlin. How has everyone been wiring these to your smartraps?
Also my x axis bearing holder is very loose and the bearings want to move out of place. Can I superglue the bearings in place until I can print a new piece?
March 17, 2014 01:17PM
crd281
my conecern today is wiring my endstops. I've seen people talk about only using 2 wires from the endstops to the ramps but I have yet to see how they connect. (i.e. NC to which pin) I have tried searching the forums and get conflicting information about marlin. How has everyone been wiring these to your smartraps?
I haven't built a SmartRap, but the electronics are going to be setup the same as any other printer. The two wires can be hooked up in a couple ways (NC = normally connected, C = common, NO = normally open, S = signal, GND = ground). NC and C to S and GND, or NO and C to S and GND. Which endstop wire goes to which RAMPS pin does not matter, i.e. NC to S and C to GND is equivalent to NC to GND and C to S. Whether you use NC or NO is personal preference. I recommend using NC if you only have endstops enabled for homing. This way, if a switch wire breaks or comes undone the printer won't crash an axis when homing, and it will be obvious that homing failed because the axis won't move to the home position.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 18, 2014 10:30PM
Thanks for the help on the endstops. Here are some pictures of my progress. I hope they help others also give others a chance to give me some tips and input. In one picture you can see how the bearing holder is raised off of the bearings
Attachments:
open | download - rps20140318_173644.jpg (57.7 KB)
open | download - rps20140318_203117.jpg (43.2 KB)
open | download - rps20140318_203144.jpg (49.4 KB)
open | download - rps20140318_203210.jpg (32 KB)
March 31, 2014 11:08PM
Here's some pics of my build. The x axis endstop wire is too short for my z axis to extend all
of The way up. My wires are a mess but an easy fix. I have to attached my fan and glass yet.
I also must load my software which is where I have a lot of research to do.
Attachments:
open | download - rps20140331_214849.jpg (48.3 KB)
open | download - rps20140331_214932.jpg (48.7 KB)
open | download - rps20140331_214959.jpg (55.2 KB)
open | download - rps20140331_215023.jpg (57.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login