Advanced

Madmike8's Smartrap Build

Posted by madmike8 
Re: Madmike8's Smartrap Build
July 13, 2014 12:18AM
BackEMF
regpye
BackEMF
I don't know how it is for the other controllers, but the full-graphic-smart-controller this fixes the X Y and Z controls but it 'breaks' for instance the LCD contrast control, that worked 'right' before.
Now this change is actually better as like MeIT already mentioned, it's less risk that you damage something due to counterintuitive directions.
But sure thank MeIT, this improves things 50% already.

What I can't understand is why some are CW and others are ACW. Maybe some are wired differently or something? Whatever, it is a real pain in the bum.

Same here, does anyone know if this behaviour is like this on all Marlins or is only Smartraps Marlin affected? So Is it Standard Marlin misbehaviour, or maybe even just RepRapDiscount related? It's software related, so far it's clear to me. Every menu seems to have it's own direction coded in to it. I've been looking for 'known bugs' list for marlin but need more time to actually find it. :-)

It is happening on my i3s as well, so it is not SmartRap related at all. Seems like the Geeteck boards have been made different from Reprapdiscount boards. All the Reprapdiscount boards I have are working correctly and all the Geeeteck boards are working backwards, so my guess is that they have changed the circuitry or the PCB board and connected the rotary encoder differently.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
July 14, 2014 10:14PM
I've got another interesting theory.
Maybe there are differences in the encoders themselves. I will lookup some data-sheets and see if there are differences.

Apart from this what i find most irritating is that in some menu's turning right the values increase and in others they decrease so no matter how you flip the values in pins.h there are always values that work the wrong way around. And this is 100% software related. So my hopes are that there is a way to change the encoder direction per menu item.

For now chose the setting that has the X Y and Z correct since thats what i used most.
July 14, 2014 10:55PM
BackEMF
I've got another interesting theory.
Maybe there are differences in the encoders themselves. I will lookup some data-sheets and see if there are differences.

Apart from this what i find most irritating is that in some menu's turning right the values increase and in others they decrease so no matter how you flip the values in pins.h there are always values that work the wrong way around. And this is 100% software related. So my hopes are that there is a way to change the encoder direction per menu item.

For now chose the setting that has the X Y and Z correct since thats what i used most.

Yes you could be right, but whatever it is a real pain in the butt. Only way around it maybe to buy the same LCD controller (one that is correct) and don't buy any others (price could be a factor too)

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
July 15, 2014 11:49PM
Hmm, maybe it's something in the U8glib library.
I have the reprapdiscount version of this board, i thought this is the 'original'? Full Graphic Smart LCD Controller

So i wonder if there is anyone who has this controller and is not having these issues.

How are inverted axis handled? Maybe if I connect the motor the other way around and invert the axis in the firmware.. I'll give that a try tomorrow if i have time left after the build.
December 04, 2014 10:14PM
Well, I passed my Smartrap on to my brother since he wants to get into 3d printing. It was a good run... Maybe I'll build another in the future...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login