Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartrap X End Mount for J-Head Light Hotend

Posted by markstephen 
Re: Smartrap X End Mount for J-Head Light Hotend
May 01, 2014 07:40PM
madmike8
Got my filament in! I'm printing Leftie today. Got my Jhead Lite V2 ready to drop in.

Let me know how it goes. Did you get the latest version? It's working out real well for me. Very happy with it.

Mark
May 02, 2014 10:11PM
Here ya go.

May 02, 2014 10:37PM
Nice looking print. Haven't gotten around to ordering one of the V2's yet, a spool of PLA got ahead of it by a week or so. I'll be interested to hear how it works out extruding PLA.
May 02, 2014 10:46PM
Oh, I'm in need of steppers/ramps/mega and a printed part or two, before I'll know. We'll have to see how the budget works out this month...
May 02, 2014 11:30PM
Ah, shiny. I forgot, this is a second machine, right? I'll take it that the J-head fit in the holder OK? Mine was just a half hair tight or maybe I should just say snug, but that probably has more to do with slicer/printer calibration.
May 03, 2014 05:52AM
cool work mad mike.

Is the jhead lite v2 really good ? I'm interested for following smartraps ! My super uk provider for huxley heads is stopping and i need to find good replacement of cheap, good and reliable head.

I'll buy one anyway to test smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 03, 2014 10:47AM
I work for a K-12 school system. (One of our schools was hit by a Tornado last week.) my goal is to build one of these for each of the elementary schools. Maybe along with Mark's FreeCAD we can get a younger set of kids interested in designing and building while their imagination is at it's fullest. For the ones that are interested, I hope they could print the parts they need at school, and build one for themselves at home. So cheap is a plus.

At some point, I've got to learn CAD myself... Because you folks are awesome.
May 03, 2014 11:33AM
Well, to be clear, it's not "my" FreeCAD, I'm only a minor contributor. If it's anyone's, it's Jürgen Riegel's but I get what your saying. I am a rabid advocate. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Smartrap, FreeCAD, and young'uns... Good match. Minimum investment, maximum return. Sounds like a very economical way to discover interest and aptitude. When your ready to dig into FreeCAD, don't be shy, hit us up on the FreeCAD forum and we'll get you going. Version 0.14 Production Release is coming up and it is "light years" ahead of the old 0.13 release.

Strip all the extras and printing your own parts with no servo and J-Head Light, it should be easy to get the unit cost below US $250.00 and maybe a lot closer to $200.00.
May 03, 2014 12:00PM
very interesting mad mike ! I really hope I can help to get the best price for those little smartraps.

I shouldn't say, but if you play smart, you can go down to $150 . By using only real standards ( if we can say so ? ) -> ramps1.4+arduino clone , light jhead , 40mm nema17 motors . You can even use really basic smooth rods (frankly) It's all chinese stuff but with a little knowledge, you can get good enough material. The trick is to have some extra when parts break.

I'm learning slowly free cad too. I'm looking also for shared realtime cad session ? maybe free cad has a dev about that ? would be cool to do sessions for new smartraps designs . I get so much ideas to try. haha.. can't do all alone smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
August 22, 2014 05:37PM
wrong thread,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 05:40PM by mikefiatx19.
August 22, 2014 09:02PM
Serge, I'm also doing my first rounds in FreeCAD I'm so glad to finally have a CAD program on GNU/Linux that works for me.
I'm not sure how a realtime dev session works but i like the idea. For now the youtube tutorials helped me best to get started.
I'm now looking a lot at thisone
[www.youtube.com]
But I feel like i'm still missing a few steps. It just looks sooooo easy to do this assembly stuff. :-)
Thumbs up to all the FreeCAD devs!!
August 25, 2014 02:06PM
BackEMF
Serge, I'm also doing my first rounds in FreeCAD I'm so glad to finally have a CAD program on GNU/Linux that works for me.
I'm not sure how a realtime dev session works but i like the idea. For now the youtube tutorials helped me best to get started.
I'm now looking a lot at thisone
[www.youtube.com]
But I feel like i'm still missing a few steps. It just looks sooooo easy to do this assembly stuff. :-)
Thumbs up to all the FreeCAD devs!!

Yea, that video is rather popular and I get a lot of questions about it. I will probably make a new one that will include audio explaining what I am doing now that I finally have a microphone.

I second the "Thumbs up to all the FreeCAD devs!!". It is truly a remarkable program considering that it is all done by unpaid volunteers in their spare time.

From FreeCAD To The Real World- Demo video using FreeCAD and featuring the Smartrap 3D Printer
August 28, 2014 03:30PM
Bollocks, my windows piece of crap laptop did an update half way through a 5 hour print. The machine stood frozen at 200 C for a few hours before I came back and noticed.
I fed through 20mm of PLA and i thought it was fine but the inner plastic tube has just come out of the nozzle and the head is blocked.
Can any one let me know what size tube it takes in Europe? I can only find a US reference to 13AWG.
The head is currently swimming in acetone.
Regards
Mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 07:52PM by mikefiatx19.
August 28, 2014 11:55PM
mikefiatx19
Bollocks, my windows piece of crap laptop did an update half way through a 5 hour print. The machine stood frozen at 200 C for a few hours before I came back and noticed.
I fed through 20mm of PLA and i thought it was fine but the inner plastic tube has just come out of the nozzle and the head is blocked.
Can any one let me know what size tube it takes in Europe? I can only find a US reference to 13AWG.
The head is currently swimming in acetone.
Regards
Mike

I would suggest that you turn off Windows automatic update. It caught me a few times too in the past. I do a manual update now when I think about it, and I don't bother with all my computers that have Windows XP as there are no more updates available now.

I am using 3mm OD with 2mm ID PTFE tube for 1.75mm filaments.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
August 29, 2014 11:41AM
Thanks Regpye,
The OD of the tube seems to be 2.5 mm and the ID must be around 1.8 - 2 mm. I think it's actually a piece of the ferrule material that you put over a cable kind of like the really thin PTFE tube you cover the legs of the thermistor with. Only it's for a thicker kind of cable (13AWG).
Thats what I saw from the image of the Jhead lite V2 on thingiverse.
I am going to contact the creator of the head as Serge does not answer his emails now that I bought the smartrap kit from him.
Regards
Mike
August 29, 2014 11:16PM
mikefiatx19
Thanks Regpye,
The OD of the tube seems to be 2.5 mm and the ID must be around 1.8 - 2 mm. I think it's actually a piece of the ferrule material that you put over a cable kind of like the really thin PTFE tube you cover the legs of the thermistor with. Only it's for a thicker kind of cable (13AWG).
Thats what I saw from the image of the Jhead lite V2 on thingiverse.
I am going to contact the creator of the head as Serge does not answer his emails now that I bought the smartrap kit from him.
Regards
Mike

If you are stuck, I can send you a piece of what I use.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
August 30, 2014 04:43AM
Thanks Regpye,
I contacted the creator of the jhead lite v2, hes gonna help me out.
the part is a ptfe tube with an ID of 1.83mm and an OD of 2.5mm. It's available from a company called McMaster in the US and it's a pain to find in Europe.
Thanks again
Mike
August 30, 2014 08:24AM
sorry mike about that , It's not that i don't answer email anymore ( i always try to answer anyone ), but i just missed this one about your hot-end problem ( found it now).

You was right to contact directly ohioplastics because i just bought from them and integrate in the smartraps, so for now , i 've never unassembled any of the jhead lite v2 ( working great for now).

I'm a little late (again) with all prod and maintenance actually, but in full reorganization, so , soon, more time to answer i think .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
September 14, 2014 03:47PM
No problem Serge, I can imagine that it's a nightmare keeping up with customer questions. The replacement fans have arrived and are fitted to the machine.
Thanks

markstephen
So I modeled up a fan duct to keep the air off the hot side of the hotend,
[forums.reprap.org]

Hi Mark,
Is the fan shroud in your picture on Thingiverse? I looked but couldn't see it.
Just got my fan set up with the new j head lite and i am juggling with the right amount of fan. I either get a cold hot end or a bent J head lite bracket.
I think your shroud might be the solution.
Thanks
Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2014 05:30PM by mikefiatx19.
September 14, 2014 06:42PM
Well, I thought i had it?? Can't seem to find it now, so i modeled up a new one. I have NOT printed or mounted this one si i have no idea just how it will fit. It might need some trimming and such. Let me know what needs adjustment and I'll make it, or you can just use the FreeCAD file and mod it your self. Both the CAD and STL files are attached.

Mark

FreeCAD File - 30mm_Fan_Duct.fcstd

STL file was meshed with Mefisto mesh and is to large to upload to forum.
Dropbox Download - [www.dropbox.com]

From FreeCAD To The Real World- Demo video using FreeCAD and featuring the Smartrap 3D Printer
September 17, 2014 06:12PM
Awesome, thanks. Its fitted and working perfectly. Funny thing is that i think i received a 40mm fan for my hotend so i had to flex the 30mm shroud to fit. Still does the job well though.
October 30, 2014 04:34PM
Hi Mark,
Great design! I'm still a little confused about how this is put together. Is there a spring that pushes the hotend down when it's not making contact with the microswitch? Thanks.
October 30, 2014 05:29PM
bzbee
Hi Mark,
Great design! I'm still a little confused about how this is put together. Is there a spring that pushes the hotend down when it's not making contact with the microswitch? Thanks.

No, at least nothing more than the spring force in the micro switch. That and the weight and tension of the Bowden tube. It's the tension of the Bowden tube that makes the big difference. Depending on how you have your tube arranged depended on whether or not you use a right hand of left hand model.

Mark

January 10, 2015 01:08PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2015 07:41PM by rcjoseb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login