Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mark Stephen's Smartrap Build

Posted by markstephen 
Re: Mark Stephen's Smartrap Build
July 10, 2014 06:33PM
Wow! Now I need another hot end...

Quick question: Would one monster 40mm fan be enough to cool two side-by-side J-heads? A 40x40x10mm fan would probably be too low air-flow, but I have a monster 40x40x25mm CPU cooler fan laying around that actually cooled down a single head too much! But it might just balance out 2 heads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2014 06:39PM by CellJeffe.
July 10, 2014 06:59PM
With the hotends I'm using, J-Head Light, it's the rising heat from the heatsinks that causes the problem, (they really move a lot of heat away from the barrel). I place the heatshield to block the heat rising and the 30 mm fan I have keeps the heat shield cool and cools the barrels as well. Just have to keep the PLA parts cool that hold the Hotends.

From FreeCAD To The Real World- Demo video using FreeCAD and featuring the Smartrap 3D Printer
July 10, 2014 07:38PM
markstephen
With the hotends I'm using, J-Head Light, it's the rising heat from the heatsinks that causes the problem, (they really move a lot of heat away from the barrel). I place the heatshield to block the heat rising and the 30 mm fan I have keeps the heat shield cool and cools the barrels as well. Just have to keep the PLA parts cool that hold the Hotends.

My hotends are all using 30mm fans with no problem. They are small enough to fit and run at full speed all the time and with them being placed high up, only cool the part of the hotend that is needed.

Using the metal plate ideal for mounting them also allows two or more to fit into a close space and alignment is very easy. I must give this a try when I have some other projects out of the way. Thanks Mark for paving the way, I wanted to do this for a while now..

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
July 10, 2014 08:35PM
I just ordered another J-head mk V for my smartrap, but how do you like the J-head Light? I am considering them for my next printer project.
July 10, 2014 08:40PM
Personally, I think their the best bang for the buck out there. Note that they are not top shelf, like Reg's Hotends, but you have to spend a lot more to get something better. IMO they work just as good or better than the cheap Chi-com imports, and for less money.

Mark

From FreeCAD To The Real World- Demo video using FreeCAD and featuring the Smartrap 3D Printer
July 10, 2014 10:20PM
markstephen
Personally, I think their the best bang for the buck out there. Note that they are not top shelf, like Reg's Hotends, but you have to spend a lot more to get something better. IMO they work just as good or better than the cheap Chi-com imports, and for less money.

Mark

Reg's MagikMaker Genie Hotends are top shelf, but don't have a top shelf price.
A little more expensive than some of the cheaper hotends available, but also highly reliable, a small price to pay for reliability.

[regpye.com.au]
July 12, 2014 12:33PM
Well, my camera settings were all messed up and the video I took looks like crap, so I'll have to shoot another one next time. angry smiley

So as a consolation, here are a couple of pix of the part. As you can see, the slicer still needs some fine tuning with the extrude and retract lengths, but at least things seem to be more or less in alignment.

Mark

July 12, 2014 01:34PM
Wow.. Very very nice...
July 12, 2014 03:50PM
duranza
Wow.. Very very nice...

Ditto!

Absolutely fantastic!
July 12, 2014 04:02PM
Looks very encouraging Mark, I am sure that after some fine tuning you will have it perfect.
Well done.

[regpye.com.au]
July 12, 2014 09:04PM
I M P R E S S E D once again.
July 13, 2014 01:13AM
You guys are too kind. Thanks.

July 13, 2014 01:37AM
markstephen
You guys are too kind. Thanks.

No we are not, we are all hungry for knowledge, so thanks again for your pioneer work.

[regpye.com.au]
July 14, 2014 12:35PM
Looks Great, Mark.

I just got back in town today. I have a lot to catch up on. I can only imagine how cool it is to watch it print in 2 colors...
July 14, 2014 09:52PM
Spider breath. Not sure what that smells like, but I'm guessing something akin to molten PLA. Or maybe just stop eating all those spiders? Cool stuff Mark.
July 15, 2014 02:01AM
pbrstreetgang
Spider breath. Not sure what that smells like, but I'm guessing something akin to molten PLA. Or maybe just stop eating all those spiders? Cool stuff Mark.

Thanks!

Spyderbreath has been my "logo" sense the mid '80s. Only recently have I made a graphic to go with it, the "Fire Breathing Spider".

I did a Demo a few months back to show some new features in the Drawing Workbench of FreeCAD, (automatic Border and Title Block avoidance in drawing templates). The fake brochure below has the Spyderbreath spider on it. Maybe you guys might get a kick out of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2014 02:01AM by markstephen.

July 15, 2014 04:15AM
Excellent Video Mark - thats a great printer there as well .... I was impressed at how smooth your z axis is, I need to look at that on mine.
How do you get the print job to stick to the glass?

I'm using 1/3 wood glue to 2/3 water that leaves a white residue on the glass .... yours looks completely clean!!

Nice work!!

Greg
July 15, 2014 04:26AM
I'm so impatient to integrate the 2 heads in the main kits !

ok.. first: production and support, but that will come soon . its too good smiling smiley

I'm about to test a cheaper way of 2 heads with a common alu heating block and 2 holes for nozzles. That would let us have one heating cartridge and one thermistor and one fan.. only two extruders. I will post here the results. If it works, that would be very fast integrated in main smartfriendz's kits.
The bad side of this solution is that you need "compatible" filaments, with the same temp. But i noticed most of my prints are at 200-205 , as i produce sets for kits , i can't change the settings for each color. Didn't see problems so far.

What a great work again mark ! this black and green thing is just cool tongue sticking out smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
July 15, 2014 11:34PM
@ zackary:
Mark uses Aquanet hairspray if i'm not mistaken.
July 16, 2014 09:21AM
BackEMF
@ zackary:
Mark uses Aquanet hairspray if i'm not mistaken.

Quite correct. Sorry I overlooked that post. The only problem with the Aquanet is sometimes it sticks too good. But it is very handy to use and one little quick dusting between prints is all it takes, and it's seconds to dry and be ready for use.

July 20, 2014 07:01PM
Cool thanks! I'll ask the missus to keep an eye out for it here in Spain..... If not I'll try what she has to hand ....smiling smiley
November 03, 2014 08:48PM
Mark can you post your wiring setup for the jhead lite? I'm trying to wire mine up to my ramps but I don't know where the wires go.
November 03, 2014 09:20PM

Most likely you only use one extruder, and have an extra fan connected instead of extruder2
And Serge also has all of this already documented on his website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2014 09:24PM by BackEMF.
November 04, 2014 01:07AM
Yup, mine is pretty much wired just like that.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login