Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many of you are using servorless system now?

Posted by regpye 
How many of you are using servorless system now?
May 09, 2014 09:57PM
I am using a different version of Marlin for servo-less auto bed leveling. It is still being tested so there will probably be some changes along the way.
It seems to be working fine with my builds.
I am testing on Printrboards because I have a box full of them, and the SmartRap is an ideal machine to use then on.
Just a couple of changes and the same Marlin will work fine with RAMPS.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: How many of you are using servorless system now?
May 10, 2014 05:31AM
Hi Regpye,

For now Im using the servo system, but will change to the new one soon.
How the heck you have box full of them? grinning smiley Lucky guy, for me they are too expensive, only ramps can do, but some time ago Makible has made boards similar to printrboards and costs like ramps, so maybe will buy one.
I want to see all these smartraps working together in one room, it's going to be a nice view smileys with beer
Oh, and Im also waiting for your version of Marlin for ramps, Im just corious to see how it will work.

Kamil.
May 10, 2014 05:47AM
I have a box full of RAMPS as well and also a box full of LCD screen. When you make as many 3D printers as I do, you need to have stock on hand.
Makible has a Printrboard, but it is revision B, the best ones are revision D.

The Marlin will be available very soon, still testing it out. It has been modified for servo-less systems and so far is working very well. Just need to get automatic head lifting when sending a G28. At present I have to add it in the slice code to give a lift before doing a G28.

The SmartRaps I am keeping complete as I build a different version, so that they can all be seen as they are and the differences. This way we will be able to work out what features are working best and after all has been discovered then I will make them all the same. Most work has been done on the servo-less head, I have made several different ones now. They all work, but as I re-design they get better. In fact there is not one part of the current SmartRap that is original, all parts have been completely redesigned. New hotend will be coming soon also. I am using them myself, been a long time in design and testing, specially for PLA. Too much work for me to make them for resale as there are 7 pieces to them, so I am getting them CNC machined now. Should be ready in about a months time with a bit of luck. At least I know they work well because I have been using them for a while now, not only on SmartRaps but also on Genie MagikMakers and i3s.

Anyway, thats enough ranting from me ha..ha.. Time to hit the hay and get some sleep, big day tomorrow again.

[regpye.com.au]
May 10, 2014 11:16AM
Last marlin on smartfriendz github ( no servo folder) is up to date. But it's true it's not cleaned up. There is still the servo lib in use , i just commented the use of servo.

It needs work for sure.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 10, 2014 03:04PM
I'm also running servoless.

A few things that i'd concider improvements:
- An adjustable, better accesible extruder.
- A more universal hotend mount plate so that the x-axis can stay assembled and we can snap or screw on a different hotend or any other toolhead, a pencil, a knife etc. Eventhough most people will mostlikely only mount a hotend and leave it like that, this would make it more versatile to use whatever hotend is best/affortable and more easy to maintain.
- Lighter printbed assembly less mass to move, Serge mentioned this already.
May 10, 2014 03:49PM
My first one is servo. The second one I'm building is Servoless.
May 10, 2014 06:20PM
BackEMF
I'm also running servoless.

A few things that i'd concider improvements:
- An adjustable, better accesible extruder.
- A more universal hotend mount plate so that the x-axis can stay assembled and we can snap or screw on a different hotend or any other toolhead, a pencil, a knife etc. Eventhough most people will mostlikely only mount a hotend and leave it like that, this would make it more versatile to use whatever hotend is best/affortable and more easy to maintain.
- Lighter printbed assembly less mass to move, Serge mentioned this already.

My new hotend head holds the assembly on with two screws, A different assemble can be printed for whatever you want to use and just screw it on leaving the rest in place.

[regpye.com.au]
May 10, 2014 06:40PM
Servoless and loving it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 10, 2014 06:54PM
madmike8
My first one is servo. The second one I'm building is Servoless.

Me too, my first was with a servo and also with fishing line. I still have it as first made.
Others that followed are all different, all servo less, but several changes to each one.
I am hoping this next one I am building now will be the final design (but I doubt that)
I will do a build section on this one soon, I have been taking photos along the way.

EDN has been helping me with Marlin and I am quiet happy with the results so far.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login