Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reg Pye's SmartRap build

Posted by regpye 
Reg Pye's SmartRap build
May 13, 2014 09:48AM
Not sure how to put all the content up here, so I have put it up outside of the forum.

Go to this URL to see the content.SmartRap build

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Reg Pye's SmartRap build
May 13, 2014 12:08PM
haha i would just say : wow smiling smiley

Reaaaally a nice work regpye ! i can be only impressed .

Nice work on the plate_x . I would easy integrate it in main kit smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 13, 2014 03:49PM
Hi Regpye,

I'm just sooooo impressed! Amazing grinning smiley
May 13, 2014 04:34PM
Pretty Cool
May 13, 2014 08:12PM
Wow
May 26, 2014 12:17PM
smartfriendz
haha i would just say : wow smiling smiley

Reaaaally a nice work regpye ! i can be only impressed .

Nice work on the plate_x . I would easy integrate it in main kit smiling smiley

I am now working on another version of the SmartRap and also have an even further version in mind.
I will try and get them done as soon as possible as there are some schools that are getting interested in my locality and they would be an ideal project for the schools to get started on.

[regpye.com.au]
May 27, 2014 07:15AM
I have been working on a few ideas and maybe tomorrow I will try them out. The new machine has been finished, but not programmed as yet. Too tired to do it tonight, so I will have a good night sleep (I hope) and have another go in the morning.

Do you think it will work??
I liked the idea of the wooden rails, so I pinched that for this build.
X and Y are very sturdy now. Nice smooth loop for the Bowden.

Here are a few photos;

[regpye.com.au]
May 27, 2014 09:20AM
Nice one!
Im curious how it's gonna work smiling smiley For me looks really similar to Printrbot grinning smiley
May 27, 2014 11:02AM
Looks great Reg,

I think Cliff could use this X-Z axis plate on his wooden Smartrap.
May 27, 2014 06:46PM
verteez
Nice one!
Im curious how it's gonna work smiling smiley For me looks really similar to Printrbot grinning smiley

Yes I agree, Printrbot does have a similar rod setup, maybe because it is the logical way to do it for strength and rigidity.
Huge difference though, Printrbot uses a totally different way of leveling and use a proximity sensor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2014 06:50PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
May 28, 2014 06:34AM
verteez
Nice one!
Im curious how it's gonna work smiling smiley grinning smiley

Yes it works.
Here are the very first prints. Still have to tune it yet, just guessed the settings, but they are pretty close.

Next I need to make a mount for the LCD.
I printed the last piece (cube) from the SD card to test that it works too.
The new head for auto level probing works great, very little movement and the rods and bed do not deflect at all.

I tried Serge's no servo Marlin for this build, no problems with it.

[regpye.com.au]
May 28, 2014 07:43AM
Yes, I mean by similar only the rods setup.
Overal really nice look, I think that I will maybe do one like this for myself smiling smiley

Nice prints, what's the print output?
May 28, 2014 07:59AM
verteez
Yes, I mean by similar only the rods setup.
Overal really nice look, I think that I will maybe do one like this for myself smiling smiley

Nice prints, what's the print output?

I set the print at 80mm/sec and while printing I increased the print speed with the LCD controller to 275%, so it would be printing pretty quick,about 220mm/sec
I need to fit a print cooling fan when printing at those speeds, especially for small section prints. Large area prints it didn't seem to worry it at all.
You will need a geared extruder to be able to push the filament through enough and you will also need a good hotend too (your hotend is on its way to you)

[regpye.com.au]
May 28, 2014 08:02AM
BackEMF
Looks great Reg,

I think Cliff could use this X-Z axis plate on his wooden Smartrap.

Thanks,

I am going to try laser cutting a version of the X/Z plate from acrylic and see how it turns out It should be pretty easy to do and quick to make as well. No reason why Cliff couldn't make the same from MDF, that would work too I am sure.

[regpye.com.au]
May 28, 2014 02:17PM
I really like the last one smiling smiley
My build have steered in a u turn after some feedback I got here and there smiling smiley
I will post some stuff soon in my thread about that smiling smiley
May 28, 2014 06:14PM
I have printed a simple case for the LCD and fitted it. The print that is on the print bed in the photos below has been printed by SD card and the LCD controller to test it out. All seems to be working very well so far, better than I expected actually.
Next step will be to re-design some of the parts to be made easier so that the machine can be built even quicker and possibly cheaper. I will work on that.
Needs to have a fan fitted also, wired up for it, but not decided where or how to place it yet. Some LED lighting could also be added maybe?

[regpye.com.au]
June 14, 2014 08:27PM
I wanted to make a video this weekend of this machine doing high speed printing. (The white machine in blog above)

Instead I am having to do a high speed design and build because I lent the white machine to an electronics shop and when I went to pick it up on Thursday, they said that they wanted to keep it longer.

OK, this is a good excuse to design another one and build it, so I decided that I would try the suggested idea of Serge to use GT2 belt for the Z axis.

I have designed the new Z axis assembly and built it.
Changed the X axis a little, built the split Y axis that is wider, printed a LCD controller case, printed a RAMPS base plate, made a geared extruder and now I have to work on the new print head design that will have a metal and also printed part.
Still a way to go,and this is what I have so far in photos.

This is laid out as it will be on the base board.

A closer look at the Z assembly.I will make a small change there so the belt has a bit more freedom.
I still have to work out how to mount the extruder, maybe a bracket that can screw down to the baseboard and also bolt to the two empty holes on the stepper. (working on that)

Other side of the Z axis assembly

Same only further away so you can see more.

I am still using the toothed slot idea for the belts, it is the easiest and best way that I have found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 08:29PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
June 15, 2014 05:54AM
This is impressive smiling smiley
I like the design a lot and is it possible to get all stl files for this version ?
Or wath would you want for a complete kit to Sweden smiling smiley
Jaw dropping simplicity of the design winking smiley
June 15, 2014 12:32PM
Impressive! :-)

When looking at the Z belt, it reminds me a little bit about H-bots ("crossbot"?) Just wondering if it would be feasible to use something like that principle here, so that all motors could be moved to either top or bottom, giving less weight to lift?

/Allan
June 15, 2014 08:22PM
ZeAllan
Impressive! :-)

When looking at the Z belt, it reminds me a little bit about H-bots ("crossbot"?) Just wondering if it would be feasible to use something like that principle here, so that all motors could be moved to either top or bottom, giving less weight to lift?

/Allan

Can you send me a reference of the "crossbot" so I can see what you mean? I guess there are many ways to do this, but this way I thought was easiest for me to do. Not tested yet, so we will see how it goes.

[regpye.com.au]
June 15, 2014 08:29PM
Cliff Mellangård
This is impressive smiling smiley
I like the design a lot and is it possible to get all stl files for this version ?
Or wath would you want for a complete kit to Sweden smiling smiley
Jaw dropping simplicity of the design winking smiley

I can make the all STL files available when I have it all finished and tested.
Not much use sending them until we know it works good enough, but I am pretty confident about it.
If you want it untested send me your email address and I will send the STLs by email to you as they are now.
The printhead still has to be fully designed, the printed parts are all ready, but there is a simple metal bracket to be made yet that forms the hinge for the head to swing on.
The wide Y I know works because I used that on the last machine. The extruder works because that has been used on the last few machines I have built. This extruder will have a foot for mounting to the baseboard (still has to be designed, but I know what I am going to do)

[regpye.com.au]
June 16, 2014 03:16AM
regpye
ZeAllan

/Allan

Can you send me a reference of the "crossbot" so I can see what you mean? I guess there are many ways to do this, but this way I thought was easiest for me to do. Not tested yet, so we will see how it goes.

It's not something that I know exists (or that I know doesn't exist, for that matter), just a thought that that would be a possible name, since a traditional H-bot layout would not be practical: The layout of the belt is a cross (or a plus, if "plusbot" sounds better smiling smiley.

The thought goes something like this: A motor is placed at the top or bottom of the Z axis. A belt or wire runs from the motor op to some sort of bearing arrangement at the current X plate posision, which sends the to sides of the belt out to the ends of the X axis, around pulleys there, back to the X plate around another set of pulleys, and up to the top of the axis where both ends are anchored - or the motor and anchoring could be reversed if space requires it.

The total belt length is constant, and the X axis is moved by the amount of belt moved on the front or back side of the motor.

If I'm correct, the firmware shouldn't need to know of the configuration, as opposed to H-bot kinematics -- but in theory you might combine the X and Z motors into a H-bot analogue to use the same belt, placing one motor at each end of the Z axis and running the belt down to be anchored on one of the X axis ends.

Still, I might be entirely wrong (not anything like a mechanical engineer), and/or there might not be any gain from the reduced or moved worth the longer belt. Just thought I would mention the idea.

/Allan
June 16, 2014 06:21AM
Allan, I'm not sure to understand what you mean exactly, but I already know that there will be some torque's problems with this 'cross'. On this forum, there are a lot of discussions between Hbot and CoreXY and the main problem is a problem of torque. I'm not sure someone already found a good solution to move away the motor of the X-plate, without using a "polar" solution. (Sorry for my bad english).
June 17, 2014 04:23AM
wow impressive regpye ( as usual with you smiling smiley .

It's cool you test the z with belt. I didn't have time to do it here with the production sad smiley . Thx for that smiling smiley

I will try also your all build when it's available. it's really a nice work ! I can't say anything else than congrats. I say often i take ideas from you as you go forward with the (re) design of this project and integrate in the updates. thx again for that !

I hope it goes well ?

About the X+Z with belt, i remember i've seen some builds doing that a long time ago. You can indeed make a belt arrangement so the X axis can go up and down without changing the total length of the belt. It needs a firmware correction , as when you go up or down, the X will move too, so you need to correct.. But i remember it was working well ( I think it was small aluminium printer looking like a cnc ... 2 or 3 years ago. i can't remember the name).

keep the good work tongue sticking out smiley

On my side, i was thinking exactly about the regpye solution for the Z.. Now we nee to find a way to prevent the head from crashing on the glass if power is suddenly off ! For the rest, it should be better with the GT2.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
June 18, 2014 11:44PM
smartfriendz
wow impressive regpye ( as usual with you smiling smiley .

It's cool you test the z with belt. I didn't have time to do it here with the production sad smiley . Thx for that smiling smiley

I will try also your all build when it's available. it's really a nice work ! I can't say anything else than congrats. I say often i take ideas from you as you go forward with the (re) design of this project and integrate in the updates. thx again for that !

I hope it goes well ?

About the X+Z with belt, i remember i've seen some builds doing that a long time ago. You can indeed make a belt arrangement so the X axis can go up and down without changing the total length of the belt. It needs a firmware correction , as when you go up or down, the X will move too, so you need to correct.. But i remember it was working well ( I think it was small aluminium printer looking like a cnc ... 2 or 3 years ago. i can't remember the name).

keep the good work tongue sticking out smiley

On my side, i was thinking exactly about the regpye solution for the Z.. Now we nee to find a way to prevent the head from crashing on the glass if power is suddenly off ! For the rest, it should be better with the GT2.

OK, I have run into a problem with the Z axis GT2 belt system. Serge foresaw this problem and he is right.
I am sure that it can be overcome, but I need some extra brain work to work this one out, so who has a good idea to stop this.

When I setup the GT2 belt on the Z axis all seemed OK until I noticed that on power off the motor wont hold the Z axis in place, it falls down under it's own weight.
So we need some idea to keep the head in the lifted position when the motor is not powered.
Maybe some form of brake? A different way of arranging the belt? any good ideas? Mine is too simple and although easy to build it has this falling problem.

[regpye.com.au]
June 19, 2014 01:59AM
The Z does not need speed, and there is "some" resistance in the steppers even when there is no power. I would think that gearing it down, either with a belt/pulley or gears, the reduction would allow the no-power holding torque of the stepper to stop the motor from turning.

Mark
June 19, 2014 02:24AM
markstephen
The Z does not need speed, and there is "some" resistance in the steppers even when there is no power. I would think that gearing it down, either with a belt/pulley or gears, the reduction would allow the no-power holding torque of the stepper to stop the motor from turning.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
At the present time there is not enough resistance. the Z will roll down pretty easily to the bottom. I am using just a pair of 22T pulleys, one at the top and one at the bottom on the stepper motor.
There does need to be something added I think, maybe a couple of idlers to add some resistance. I was thinking maybe two bearings mounted on the same small plate that the belt ends terminate on.

I will give that a bit more thought and come up with another idea to try out, it could still be pretty simple I think.

[regpye.com.au]
June 19, 2014 04:50AM
Not tried it out fully yet, but have come up with a design and printed it out.
Looks like it might do the trick, the assembly is no longer falling down and is holding it's place when no power is applied.
Seems to be able to move freely as well when some power is applied to it.

Here is a screen grab of the design.

And here is a photo of the actual part.

Made a small change to the toothed slot for the belt also, it now has a place for the ends of the belt to come out of, and can be easily adjusted by pulling hard with a pair of pliers to tighten the belt.
This wasn't a problem when the belt was just a single end, but now there are two ends that come together. Works very well.
I will try and find some time to finish off the machine and test it out ASAP.

[regpye.com.au]
June 19, 2014 05:19AM
Worked out the extruder mount now.
Pretty simple and can be used for many different Bowden printer setups as it is free standing.

[regpye.com.au]
June 19, 2014 07:38AM
lot of work here again regpye, impressive as usual smiling smiley

the new geared extruder seems more light ? cool to try i think. I just changed to separated extruder so we can choose between direct drive or .... maybe this one ?? thank you .

About the new system for Z GT2, I would love to try it ( i would for now integrate on the main model to minimise changes for now ). How does it work ? I mean the break system ?

thx

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login