Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis wobbing large

Posted by solarprism 
Z axis wobbing large
May 25, 2014 04:41PM
Hi Everyone,

I just found some problems about my Z axis. Several days ago I notice a large wobbing in the Z axis. And it seems that due to this, the nut is being grind down to the extent that it slipped on the thread rods. Any one had this problems before. I mean that the nut is being grind down.
Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 12:01AM by solarprism.
Re: Z axis wobbing large
May 25, 2014 06:34PM
What bolt? Pix please. smiling smiley
May 25, 2014 09:21PM
Think he's talking about the Z threaded rod.
May 25, 2014 11:25PM
Reading that again, I'm thinking he means nut, not bolt -

solarprism
And it seems that due to this, the bolt is being grind down to the extent that it slipped on the thread rods.

So it sounds like he has a rather crappy threaded rod, soft nut, and or no lube on the threaded rod. I'v just used a little petroleum jelly as I can't seem to be able to fine my silicon grease anywhere.
May 26, 2014 12:02AM
markstephen
Reading that again, I'm thinking he means nut, not bolt -

solarprism
And it seems that due to this, the bolt is being grind down to the extent that it slipped on the thread rods.

So it sounds like he has a rather crappy threaded rod, soft nut, and or no lube on the threaded rod. I'v just used a little petroleum jelly as I can't seem to be able to fine my silicon grease anywhere.

Yes that is it, sorry for my mistake, i mean nut and thread rod. Thank you.
May 26, 2014 12:52AM
If your threaded rod is tool steel type and rough, you will probably want to lap and polish the threads and use a hardened nut. It really shouldn't be wearing out the nut like that.Keep the threaded rod clean and lubed.
May 26, 2014 07:14AM
Are you using a brass nut by any chance? Brass nuts last a very short time. Change it for a stainless nut if you can or better still if you can find or make an acetyl nut it will last forever.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
May 26, 2014 09:19AM
An IONX nut on an INOX rod will wear down both the nut and the rod, so that's why i thought it's better to use a bronze nut? The oil in the bronze will lubricate and only the nut wears down. Though i wonder how fast Solarprism managed to wear down that nut. Is there maybe another issue that causes that nut to wear down faster?

What about using a nylock locknut? (or is that what Regpye meant with acetyl nut?)
May 26, 2014 12:11PM
BackEMF
An IONX nut on an INOX rod will wear down both the nut and the rod, so that's why i thought it's better to use a bronze nut? The oil in the bronze will lubricate and only the nut wears down. Though i wonder how fast Solarprism managed to wear down that nut. Is there maybe another issue that causes that nut to wear down faster?

What about using a nylock locknut? (or is that what Regpye meant with acetyl nut?)

My Genie MagikMakers I have special Z nuts I make myself from acetal.
I went that way because I had the same problem using bronze and also brass nuts. I thought they would wear better and was very surprised when one day it just fell apart, no thread left inside.
Acetal is a black plastic available in sheet, rod and several shape forms. Also available in white too.
It is the VERY BEST material to machine, nothing machines like acetal.
You can drill it, hand tap it and cut it with a saw, etc so easy and it has very good characteristics for bearings and nuts for what we want to use.
Do a search on the material and see for yourselves, it may also be another bearing substitute for some of our builds.

[www.dotmar.com.au]

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
January 22, 2016 06:12AM
There are many excellent solutions within your budget...

Plasticut are topnotch plastic solution providers - www.plasticut.com.au
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login