Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ATX PSU

Posted by BackEMF 
ATX PSU
June 05, 2014 02:19PM
Since I'm a bit recycling minded i'm planning to use ATX PSU for my next SmartRap upgrade.
The local recycle center often has cheap scrap PC's costing less then a new PSU. And then i also get the heatsinks HDD CR-ROM and all the other junk

So i'm looking at http://reprap.org/wiki/PCPowerSupply, http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4#Power_Supply and http://reprap.org/wiki/ATX_PSU_Dev_Board

I have a few idea's for a PCB that has all the essential connections and a bit more (extra fan, LED, and since it has 5V why not add a USB charger output). I'm familiar with ATX PSU's so technically i'll be able to make this happen.

Now i'd like to open up some space here to ask what others might want on a PCB that sits between ATX and RAMPS.

My idea's so far are:
  • PCB smaller then 10x10 cm eventually even 10x5 cm to keep the cost to a minimum
  • ATX12
  • A header that connects to RAMPS
  • Power button (to manually power on and off)
  • mounting holes
  • LEDs for Standby OK and eventually LED's for each voltage.

Main goal is to provide all the essential connectivity. And provide bare PCB's at a ultra low price. Si that everyone can choose their own components and what is not used does not have to be mounted.

This will result in a very cheap but flexible solution for ATX power.

I'm still looking if a pre-load resistor is still considered 'essential'.
Resettable fuses yes or no? RAMPS already has those...

What else would be desired, or could be a good idea to add to this board?

Option to mount an Volt and/or Ampere meter?

And does anyone have an idea how and where to mount this? This with the SmartRap in mind. Can we use the ATX mounting holes to make the PSU + the PCB one with the SmartRap and eventually use the airflow of the PSU to cool the stepprdrivers.

Yes... i really like to take everything into account... :-)
Re: ATX PSU
June 05, 2014 06:29PM
12 volt fan connections for the electronics cooling, I think you have covered everything else. Maybe another 12 volts output for LED lighting?

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
June 05, 2014 06:44PM
+1 on USB ports. Maybe 1 on each side of the Z rods so I can use 2 LED lights.
I'm currently powering my USB gooseneck LED light using a power adapter.
June 12, 2014 05:52AM
I'll add a USB header that's compatible with the pinout of mainboards. This will allow to plug in standard USB brackets. And thus the sockets can be placed wherever you like
And also extra 5 and 12 volt headers or screw terminals for fans, LED's Also keep in mind that ATX usually has 3 or more Molex connectors with 5 and 12 V

I'm still looking for a clever way to combine it with RAMPS+MEGA footprint and ATX PSU
I'm making a first sketch during my coffee break.
June 12, 2014 05:59AM
Maybe if the ATX socket can be found with 90 degree pins so the the power plug can plug into it at the end of the board? I don't know if they are available, but it certainly would make it easier to stack all three boards together.

[regpye.com.au]
June 12, 2014 07:56AM
Aaah yes niceone! :-)
June 25, 2014 03:42AM
3.81 or 5.08 mm pin spaced terminal blocks? (i guess 3.81 is good enough) My current design has 5.08 that might be a bit oversized.
And it will free up some space to bring back an option for the pre-load
August 14, 2014 06:57AM
The batch of proto PCB's arrived today. I hope i dind't make design errors. (always is hard to check your own work hehe)
Still waiting for the angled ATX connectors to arrive but there if progress.
August 14, 2014 08:24AM
BackEMF
The batch of proto PCB's arrived today. I hope i dind't make design errors. (always is hard to check your own work hehe)
Still waiting for the angled ATX connectors to arrive but there if progress.

That is why I am building the Direct Ink PCB Plotter that I am currently working on. I too have that same problem, design a board, get a batch made and then find a silly mistake. If I can draw out the board myself using the same design that will be batched, then I know what the outcome will be before getting a batch manufactured. Also for a small batch it would be easier and cheap to make myself.
The machine is mostly finished, will show it off soon.

BTW: I use hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide for the etching.

[regpye.com.au]
August 14, 2014 08:45AM
BackEMF
Since I'm a bit recycling minded i'm planning to use ATX PSU for my next SmartRap upgrade.
The local recycle center often has cheap scrap PC's costing less then a new PSU. And then i also get the heatsinks HDD CR-ROM and all the other junk

So i'm looking at http://reprap.org/wiki/PCPowerSupply, http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4#Power_Supply and http://reprap.org/wiki/ATX_PSU_Dev_Board

I have a few idea's for a PCB that has all the essential connections and a bit more (extra fan, LED, and since it has 5V why not add a USB charger output). I'm familiar with ATX PSU's so technically i'll be able to make this happen.

Now i'd like to open up some space here to ask what others might want on a PCB that sits between ATX and RAMPS.

My idea's so far are:
  • PCB smaller then 10x10 cm eventually even 10x5 cm to keep the cost to a minimum
  • ATX12
  • A header that connects to RAMPS
  • Power button (to manually power on and off)
  • mounting holes
  • LEDs for Standby OK and eventually LED's for each voltage.

Main goal is to provide all the essential connectivity. And provide bare PCB's at a ultra low price. Si that everyone can choose their own components and what is not used does not have to be mounted.

This will result in a very cheap but flexible solution for ATX power.

I'm still looking if a pre-load resistor is still considered 'essential'.
Resettable fuses yes or no? RAMPS already has those...

What else would be desired, or could be a good idea to add to this board?

Option to mount an Volt and/or Ampere meter?

And does anyone have an idea how and where to mount this? This with the SmartRap in mind. Can we use the ATX mounting holes to make the PSU + the PCB one with the SmartRap and eventually use the airflow of the PSU to cool the stepprdrivers.

Yes... i really like to take everything into account... :-)

I just converted one over for a guy that didn't have much cash, but he had a few old computers.
I told him to get a PSU out of one of the old computers and I would modify it for him.
It turned out pretty good and was very cheap for him because the old computer was headed for the dump

Anything that will make these old PSU useful would be great to have, they are pretty good on their own, but always improvements are better.

[regpye.com.au]
August 14, 2014 10:22AM
I have pulled the Diode D1 of fmy RAMPS Thats about the most difficult thing to do!
I made a few tiny mistakes but this first proto seems to be pretty much OK so far.

I'm planning to send a few people a proto for free. One to Reg, and MelT if you also like one then please let me know.

I'll have to see if i can ship this as a letter. Fully assembled or as DIY kit. it's easy to solder with basic skills. I'll look if there is a way to ship the parts trough an external sales channel. As bare PCB or as a DIY kit. But first I need to make sure all is working as expected when it is all wired up.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
August 14, 2014 07:29PM
BackEMF
I have pulled the Diode D1 of fmy RAMPS Thats about the most difficult thing to do!
I made a few tiny mistakes but this first proto seems to be pretty much OK so far.

I'm planning to send a few people a proto for free. One to Reg, and MelT if you also like one then please let me know.

I'll have to see if i can ship this as a letter. Fully assembled or as DIY kit. it's easy to solder with basic skills. I'll look if there is a way to ship the parts trough an external sales channel. As bare PCB or as a DIY kit. But first I need to make sure all is working as expected when it is all wired up.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Thanks for that, I will look forward to it coming.

BTW: I like your simple quote.

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
August 14, 2014 08:50PM
If your going to build a new board, why not integrate the PSU and the controller into 1? 1 board to rule them all!!!

Albert Einstein was an idiot. --AmericaAnimal
August 14, 2014 08:54PM
AmericanAnimal
If your going to build a new board, why not integrate the PSU and the controller into 1? 1 board to rule them all!!!

Albert Einstein was an idiot. --AmericaAnimal

Kyle?

[regpye.com.au]
August 14, 2014 10:32PM
AmericanAnimal

Build head and give it a try.

But to give you more insight:

- Ramps is well spread and cheap, counldnt beat that in any way with yet another board design.
- This ATX plate can also be used for non RAMPS or just to power an Arduino project
- It's cheap and makes it easy to use cheap ATX PSU for people who are not to comfortable with electronics but still like to DIY a 3D printer

Just to name a few.

"Anyone who has declared someone else to be an idiot, a bad apple, is annoyed when it turns out in the end that he isn't."
Friedrich Nietzsche.
Not that I like to agree with Nietzsche but he could have a point here?
Anonymous User
August 14, 2014 10:54PM

Build head and give it a try.
Unfortunately, I don't live in China. Else I just might.

Ramps is well spread and cheap, counldnt beat that in any way with yet another board design.
Untrue. Look at the Melzi board. Integrated steper drivers. Far superior to Ramps.

This ATX plate can also be used for non RAMPS or just to power an Arduino project
No argument there.

It's cheap and makes it easy to use cheap ATX PSU for people who are not to comfortable with electronics but still like to DIY a 3D printer
It would be cheaper and easier to buy an all in one solution. A PSU and a controller on one board. Think about it.

I have a dream. --MLK
August 14, 2014 11:42PM
AmericanAnimal

Untrue. Look at the Melzi board. Integrated steper drivers. Far superior to Ramps.

I have a dream. --MLK

Problem with the Melzi board is that if any part goes down the board is just about done. Not worth the trouble to repair it.
And also your claim is false, I can buy 2x RAMPS, 2x Arduino mega, 10x stepper drivers an 2x LCD controllers for the cost of one Melzi board,
so I guess what you are saying in your new signature "I have a dream. --MLK" is about right.
Dream on.

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
August 14, 2014 11:58PM
http://www.ebay.com/

Melzi boards go for $50 Reg. But you're right. Integrated curcuits are just a fad.

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. -- The Dude.
August 15, 2014 12:06AM
AmericanAnimal
http://www.ebay.com/

Melzi boards go for $50 Reg. But you're right. Integrated curcuits are just a fad.

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. -- The Dude.

I don't know what you mean by all the junk at the bottom of the post Kyle, but anyway, here is a RAMPS system comparison with free postage also

[www.aliexpress.com]

[regpye.com.au]
August 15, 2014 12:10AM
Then for those who like Melzi they buy Melzi. There is room for everyone. But Melzi has no nice option to feed Arduino projects, or charge cellphones.

I dont see an issue here to make a fuzz about, i'm merely giving people a choice extra. and my goal is to also make it a cheap one. Though that part i still have to figure out.

You clearly didn't give the quote much thought so i'll give up on that.

And i really don't get why people pay EBAY and PAYPAL fees, it's the biggest rippoff on the net. people want the cheapest stuff but then they are blind for the INSANE fee's that Paypal skims off.
But hey it's all about choice.
August 15, 2014 12:33AM
BackEMF
Then for those who like Melzi they buy Melzi. There is room for everyone. But Melzi has no nice option to feed Arduino projects, or charge cellphones.

I dont see an issue here to make a fuzz about, i'm merely giving people a choice extra. and my goal is to also make it a cheap one. Though that part i still have to figure out.

You clearly didn't give the quote much thought so i'll give up on that.

And i really don't get why people pay EBAY and PAYPAL fees, it's the biggest rippoff on the net. people want the cheapest stuff but then they are blind for the INSANE fee's that Paypal skims off.
But hey it's all about choice.

You are so right about that.
I stopped using ebay as a seller when they put the fees through the roof. Not use feebay ever since - their loss, not mine.
PayPal is doing the same now, same company really, so they will go the same way too.
They say there is protection, but when a claim is put in, all of a sudden you miss out for some hidden reason.
Aliexpress has a better form of protection, they hold the payment to the seller until it has been approved by the buyer.

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
August 15, 2014 12:38AM
The Melzi is basically an arduino clone. But, If your banking on building a cellphone charger interface for ATX power supplies... I think wall chargers and USB cords have pretty much cornered the market already. I like the entrepreneurial spirit, just do some market testing first. Speaking from experiance of many great ideas that don't sell.

You're obviously not a golfer. --The Dude
August 15, 2014 01:29AM
Sorry that you don't get it.
Anonymous User
August 15, 2014 01:42AM
Perhaps you don't get it. I'm saying I like the idea. I'll even help out with the Eagle CAD so you can send it to board shops. My point is, the chances of you seeing financial return are slim to nil.

I was a roady for Metallica. -- The Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 01:44AM by AmericanAnimal.
August 15, 2014 01:57AM
HUH? I have a design you don't need to help. No offense but we are not on the same page. I'm not worried about financial returns. You clearly don't see my goal so you will not be able to help. Thanks for trying though.
Anonymous User
August 17, 2014 01:18AM
reg
AmericanAnimal
[www.ebay.com]

I don't know what you mean by all the junk at the bottom of the post Kyle, but anyway, here is a RAMPS system comparison with free postage also
[www.aliexpress.com]

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Alibaba link you posted doesn't include an LCD, though it shows one in their photos. Typical false advertising.

To their credit. I did find a much better deal on Melzi boards. $35 Alibaba
Nice try Reg.
August 17, 2014 02:00AM
AmericanAnimal
reg
AmericanAnimal
[www.ebay.com]

[www.aliexpress.com]

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Alibaba link you posted doesn't include an LCD, though it shows one in their photos. Typical false advertising.

To their credit. I did find a much better deal on Melzi boards. $35 Alibaba
Nice try Reg.

I don't know where you got that information from, because I have purchased four of them recently and got LCD controllers with them.
All are perfectly working, no problems at all. I will buy again from them.
Another question Kyle, why do you keep on getting new memberships to these forums, isn't one enough?

[regpye.com.au]
Anonymous User
August 17, 2014 02:13AM
RegRap
Another question Kyle, why do you keep on getting new memberships to these forums, isn't one enough?
The world is not enough.
Foolish sentiment?
Family motto. --007
August 17, 2014 08:37AM
RegRap

because we keep banning his accounts once we know it's him

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 19, 2014 08:13PM
Figuring out what licence to use.

I see some use GPLv3 for the electronics others Creative Commons or Open Hardware though i'm a bit puzzled what path to walk here.
This is my first open electronic project and I try to use it to learn all the aspects so also the licence.

What is the best licence to use for electronic circuits?
What does the actual licence do for us?
What are the key aspects to look at and why?

Now this project isn't all that sensitive, so in a way it doesn't matter all that much. However if I can get it right with this project then future project might benefit from this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login