Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help

Posted by duranza 
Re: New to 3d printing with smartrap need some help
August 05, 2014 07:14PM
Huxley slide plate

Here is the huxley slide plate. I just took the one from the existing arm and chopped and merged to the slide plate.
August 06, 2014 12:25AM
Looks good!
Looking forward to trying it later today.
Thanks a lot duranza!
August 06, 2014 09:10AM
Hi.

I haven´t tried to print this yet but I made a slide for the J-Head MK5.
I´ll try to print it tonight and see if it fits.

Anyone want to try my untested version before that just let me know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 09:12AM by Talle.
Attachments:
open | download - New X-end w J-Head.jpg (72.6 KB)
August 06, 2014 09:47AM
Looks good. Just make sure you guys put a fillet/ chamfer on the corners so that it only makes contact on the sides. If it makes contact on the points only, you will get unwanted movement front to back.
Attachments:
open | download - New X-end w J-Head.jpg (138.3 KB)
August 07, 2014 04:17AM
I tried to print this yesterday but I was kind of unsuccessful due to stop in the hotend.
I belive that is PLA related since my hot-end-fan has been working flawless with other PLA rolles.

What I realized though was that the slide was a bit to thin so it wobbled a bit back and forth, so I´ve widened it a bit 0.1mm and also cut the corners, and made some minor adjustments.

I´ll give it another go tonight and keep you updated.

/Talle

August 07, 2014 07:26AM
I'm working on it duranza,

I've had problem printing it . The first one was perfect and it didn't move front'back..the following went bad and i have too much free move. But it's my fault, i redid it in blender and it's bad !

I'm trying to switch to free cad , but still a little lost in it . Do you think you have some cad files workable in free cad ?

thank you. I'm sure we will make it. It's just perfect to have jhead and huxley together on the same model .

I still need to integrate fishing line point, m5 hole for rack&pinion and two version for 8mm rods and 6mm rods.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
August 07, 2014 07:45AM
Plate IGES file

simple slide IGES file

Here are some files that will open in Freecad to get you started Serge
August 07, 2014 07:46AM
Talle
I tried to print this yesterday but I was kind of unsuccessful due to stop in the hotend.
I belive that is PLA related since my hot-end-fan has been working flawless with other PLA rolles.

What I realized though was that the slide was a bit to thin so it wobbled a bit back and forth, so I´ve widened it a bit 0.1mm and also cut the corners, and made some minor adjustments.

I´ll give it another go tonight and keep you updated.

/Talle

[attachment 37928 NewX-endwJ-Headv2.jpg]

That looks good Talle.. I hope you get it sorted out with the PLA
August 07, 2014 08:23AM
thank you duranza, it does help smiling smiley

pity there's no interchange format with all sketches tongue sticking out smiley I start to understand CAD ( after blender ) . lol . it's good time after one year smartap design hu ?

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
August 10, 2014 12:56PM
i'm experimenting with this but when the arm is half way then it already struggles a bit and when the arm is fully extended then the slide tends to block / get stuck

However when I just press manually then it seems to be working just right.

So when the arm is extended the x bends enough to make an angle that gives enough force to get the slide stuck on the friction.

This resulted in some thinking and since I’m figuring out FreeCAD I decided to explore my ideas there..
And this is the (not so practical) result. Bur maybe someone can remix the ideas?

This is done with the Genie hot end in mind. the PEEK of the hotend functions as a slide.
The mount groove rests on zip ties that function as a spring as well.
and the heatsink is the trigger for the microswitch (and that is also held in place with ziptie pins)

It's a lot inspired by Japanese woodworking techniques. :-D

The main idea is to have the probing pressure fully centered in the slide so that the slide doesn't cause sidewards friction. And all the rest is pure to keep things small.

... just having some fun with FreeCAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2014 01:00PM by BackEMF.
August 10, 2014 05:57PM
BackEMF
i'm experimenting with this but when the arm is half way then it already struggles a bit and when the arm is fully extended then the slide tends to block / get stuck

So when the arm is extended the x bends enough to make an angle that gives enough force to get the slide stuck on the friction.

This resulted in some thinking and since I’m figuring out FreeCAD I decided to explore my ideas there..
And this is the (not so practical) result. Bur maybe someone can remix the ideas?

[attachment 38155 zipslide.jpg]

This is done with the Genie hot end in mind. the PEEK of the hotend functions as a slide.
The mount groove rests on zip ties that function as a spring as well.
and the heatsink is the trigger for the microswitch (and that is also held in place with ziptie pins)

It's a lot inspired by Japanese woodworking techniques. :-D

The main idea is to have the probing pressure fully centered in the slide so that the slide doesn't cause sidewards friction. And all the rest is pure to keep things small.

... just having some fun with FreeCAD

BackEMF, you have just opened up another area to explore. Just when I thought I might get a bit of time to get back to my build ha..ha..
Recently I was asked to design a X end mount that had no servo or movement of any kind, just mount the Genie hotend directly to the X end.
He is manually leveling the bed and doesn't need the head to move to activate a limit switch and doesn't have a servo either.
I suggested using a hall effect sensor to trigger the Z limit from the Z rods, I sent him a hall effect sensor to try out as they are very accurate and very small too, easy to use.
I will post some photos when I get back from the city.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
August 10, 2014 09:29PM
On a metal buildplate you could eventually ground the buildplate and give 5V to the nozzle trough a pull-up resistor

but there ate a few big fat buts.

if there is PVA glue on the buildplate then that prevends the nozzle from making contact
OR
PLA on the nozzle, that's also an insulator.

Now im not sure if the hot nozzle pushes the PVA and PLA enough away to make contact.

So yes it should be possible, but i'm not sure if this is 100% reliable. And if the buildplate is metal then why not use an inductive probe... unfortunately the cheap ones are bigger then the hotend itself
August 12, 2014 05:41AM
BackEMF

I had the same problem initially but found it easier to lubricate the slider and X-end with silicon spray.
Made it slippery as hell and haven´t had any blocks/stuck since.
I use the J-Head MK5 and my design of the slider but it should be irrelevant in the design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 05:54AM by Talle.

//Talle

SmartRap 8mm v0.48, J-Head MK5, RegPye Extruder, Duranza X-end, Ramps 1.4, Cura,
August 12, 2014 01:03PM
Talle
BackEMF

I had the same problem initially but found it easier to lubricate the slider and X-end with silicon spray.
Made it slippery as hell and haven´t had any blocks/stuck since.
I use the J-Head MK5 and my design of the slider but it should be irrelevant in the design.

Hey Talle, can you take a picture of your actual hot end slide. I would like to see how it turned out.

I use Vaseline to make it slide better, but silicon spray works wonders too..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2014 01:04PM by duranza.
August 14, 2014 11:35AM

Great mod !

i'm looking for the .stl to print this plate with GT2, is it available somewhere ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 11:36AM by Glook.
August 14, 2014 11:44AM
Have you looked there already?

[github.com]
August 14, 2014 11:47AM
oops ! sorry, i don't understand how GitHub works, thanks !

nope, just a repository from Smartfriendz directory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 01:14AM by Glook.
August 22, 2014 01:12AM
i answer to myself winking smiley

one "duranza" head is included in the 4.9.1 smartrap blender file...
April 14, 2015 08:44PM
Anyone using opto switches with their smartrap? I'm trying to use one I pulled from a printer with my ramp 1.4 board
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login