Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stabilizing X Axis on 0.4.7 and Earlier Designs

Posted by x86Daddy 
Stabilizing X Axis on 0.4.7 and Earlier Designs
July 30, 2014 12:34AM
I built my SmartRap using mostly a set of parts based on the 0.4.6 version. I may upgrade to newer parts over time. The main thing that bothered me was the amount of bending upward the X axis does during Z-homing, exacerbated by the fact that I'm using a servoless probe method. I figured out a quick 2-cent solution, literally, and figured I'd share. I haven't tested it much yet, but so far, I'm impressed with the improved rigidity. Hope this helps someone. smiling smiley

Re: Stabilizing X Axis on 0.4.7 and Earlier Designs
July 30, 2014 12:39AM
x86Daddy
I built my SmartRap using mostly a set of parts based on the 0.4.6 version. I may upgrade to newer parts over time. The main thing that bothered me was the amount of bending upward the X axis does during Z-homing, exacerbated by the fact that I'm using a servoless probe method. I figured out a quick 2-cent solution, literally, and figured I'd share. I haven't tested it much yet, but so far, I'm impressed with the improved rigidity. Hope this helps someone. smiling smiley

[attachment 37492 2cent.jpg]

Can't use that idea in Australia any more. They took the 1 cent and 2 cents out of circulation and are now talking about removing 5 cents as well.
$1 dollar is double the size of our $2 (go figure)
I guess we would have to use a washer instead ha..ha..

Yes a good idea, I used a piece of scrap PLA to wedge in mine when I built the .46 model, it worked too.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
July 30, 2014 05:11AM
You can also put some paper, or soft plastic between the LM8UU and the top clamp.
the 0.47 has 3mm holes on the sides there so that you can clamp it down by screwing M3 's in.

LOL @ Reg, it's cheaper to drill a hole in a coin then actually go to the hardware store to buy a washer.
July 30, 2014 05:18AM
BackEMF
You can also put some paper, or soft plastic between the LM8UU and the top clamp.
the 0.47 has 3mm holes on the sides there so that you can clamp it down by screwing M3 's in.

LOL @ Reg, it's cheaper to drill a hole in a coin then actually go to the hardware store to buy a washer.

Not in my case. I have over 60,000 washers in stock already. The coins are not available here any more that will fit.
I biggest problem is to package the washers, nuts and bolts ha..ha..
I overcame the problem with the Z axis by designing a new one and turned the rods around 90 degrees.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login