Advanced

Where did everybody go?

Posted by BackEMF 
Where did everybody go?
August 17, 2014 08:06AM
MadMike, MarkStephen, Verteez, Cliff?
Re: Where did everybody go?
August 17, 2014 11:49AM
Wondering the same thing. The forum has been really quiet..
August 17, 2014 01:37PM
Holidays? smiling smiley
August 17, 2014 01:45PM
I was myself half in holidays and half working.

I'm sure it will restart soon smiling smiley

I will have some updates to do on my side too.

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
August 17, 2014 04:48PM
BackEMF
MadMike, MarkStephen, Verteez, Cliff?

I am here as usual.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
August 17, 2014 08:40PM
Yeah holidays that was also my guess, but somehow seems too quiet I also expected people to reprap during the holidays. :-)
I hope they all had a good one.
August 18, 2014 06:29AM
BackEMF
I also expected people to reprap during the holidays

If only low cost airlines allowed 3 more kilograms of baggage weight, I'd have my smartrap with me!
August 18, 2014 10:57AM
I am still lurking! I have a busier family life now that the wife and pets finally been able to join me in the new location. smiling smiley So, I no longer have the "bachelor" life to spend all hours with my 3D printer. smileys with beer

But I just fired up my SmartRap today to test out some new ideas for the PVC SnapRap.

Hmm, Judging by the groans, my SnapRap needs regreasing after three weeks idle.
August 18, 2014 04:25PM
I'm still here. I have been really sidetracked. I know, "bad Mark"... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Should have a new mod to the dual hot end setup. The old hotend retainer mount was / is a bit weak, but i think I have a plan to fix it right up

Mark

From FreeCAD To The Real World- Demo video using FreeCAD and featuring the Smartrap 3D Printer
August 18, 2014 07:21PM
Sounds like there are some cute projects in the pipeline!

Haha Christian what about designing a Quechua style rap. That fits in a back pack just shake it out of the backpack and it springs up in a workable machine. POOF! (maybe iv'e watched to much sci-fi?)
I now have a future vision of people on a beach and repraps that build the sand castles.... (all solar and wind powered etc) :-D

That PVC SnapRap sounds very interesting CellJeffe! :-D

Sidetracks kinda grow easy in this tech field. I'm currently on the FreeCAD rollercoaster. And those video's helped me many times already Mark.
August 19, 2014 03:47AM
all that sounds good.

On my side, i'm about to update thingiverse and github files :

- new default jhead lite ( for now) . We're dealing with regpye to integrate his heads , which are very good of course. maybe two options ? I like also to have different options for people.

- new lm6 clamps in case the hard-to-adjust lm6 holders are printed too big. Those clamps are just snapped and maintain the guides quiet good.

- some little changes to make life easier and try to reduce num of screws.

for some weeks or months now i'm updating the same model until it works really good . Smartrap v2 will come later smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
August 19, 2014 07:05PM
Serge,
Why not simply use a 'blank' end on the x axis with 2 mountholes so that whatever type of hotend can be mounted. (or a plotter pen or any other kind of head)

This separates the basic frame design so then you don't have to redesign the the hotend mount, and everyone can just give you files for whatever they mount to the smartrap.

I'm currently busy with the ATX PCB once i have that sorted then i have to checkout all your updates. Looking forward to that!
August 20, 2014 01:08AM
Hi Backemf,

You're right, I should do that with a standard connection, so everyone can design an adaptable support like duranza did with his end. I see I have 3 jhead type at home and three different sizes for the support smiling smiley

updates are really just some tries to make it more easy to build (as always) and more stiff. I'm working on something to make the Z rods more stable , and adjustable , for cases where we are not very orthogonal..

in the pipe :
- standard optical end stops for X Y
- proximity sensor for autolevel ( i got one an it works great ! ) . that will let us re-do the head fixed.

after that , we start to have a solid model.. so we can think about V2 smiling smiley the goal is to have a different frame , printed , and minimum change from actual parts (no printed) for people to easy try and upgrade without buying too much stuff .. not easy , hu ?

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
August 20, 2014 02:29AM
Yea it's lots of things to keep in mind. You did a nice job i'm sure you will continue to do so and even improve that.

I also experimented with proximity sensor I like the accuracy of the detection, but you really need a metal bed and it also adds more weight to the X axis. The sensor i have is as big as a hotend and smaller ones are exponentially more expensive. So that still puts me off a bit.

It's good to get the most out of this before you start V2 and have a final design for V1

All the things i learned on my smartap journey are to much to remember. This trip had a lot of value!
And i've learned most form my own mistakes haha!

Viva la SmartRap!
August 22, 2014 02:35PM
My build ended up to not be an smartrap version so I didt feel right about posting it here anymore smiling smiley
It uses the same logic and design of the smartrap but more to the Wallace and prinrbot design.
Its almost ready for release now and hangaround the reprap facebook group nowdays smiling smiley

Who should I contact to get it entered to the reprap wiki and forum ????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 02:36PM by Cliff Mellangård.
Attachments:
open | download - tinkerbot i1.jpg (489.4 KB)
August 22, 2014 08:36PM
Nice tinkerbot Cliff!

Maybe you should ask one of the Admins how to enter it to the wiki.
[reprap.org]
August 23, 2014 02:13AM
The train is rolling now smiling smiley
[www.thingiverse.com]
August 23, 2014 10:41PM
Cliff Mellangård
The train is rolling now smiling smiley
[www.thingiverse.com]

I like it Cliff.

I have a design for the direct drive extruder that you are using that can be printed out in PLA if you want it.
Same design as you are getting from China, but you can make your own easier and cheaper.
All other parts can be sourced cheaply from ebay, aliexpress or many other places. Only one part to print out.
Drive wheel I made myself too, cheap.
I had a lot of success with it before I changed over to geared type extruders.

This photo is of the direct drive that I was making several years ago, it worked quite well for the money it cost to make and was light too.

Here is another shot of the same extruder type. I used a metal mounting plate that has two knurled nuts to quick release it from the carriage. It made working on the extruder very easy to do and convenient as well. The Knurled nuts I printed (in green) and they have a captive nut inside.

Here are two used together for a Bowden setup.

[regpye.com.au]
August 24, 2014 05:53AM
Could you post a link to the stl so will I give you all credit for it on my thing page smiling smiley
Or you have a thing page to it I can link to???
August 24, 2014 03:01PM
Cliff Mellangård
Could you post a link to the stl so will I give you all credit for it on my thing page smiling smiley
Or you have a thing page to it I can link to???

The STL file can be found here on my website.

Direct Drive Extruder Body

Print it in PLA at 50% infill or more.
Tap holes for grub screw. Polish end of grub screw so that it isn't sharp anywhere.
All other parts can be purchased online from many places.
40mm fan, 40mm heatsink, NEMA17 stepper, Drive Cog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 03:15PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login