Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Hotend possible

Posted by regpye 
New Hotend possible
August 21, 2014 09:06PM
I have been working on a new design of hotend and if there is enough interest I will start a production run.
This hotend is based on my previous design that has been very successful.

Expressions of interest please so I can determine if I should go ahead with a small production run.

Differences with the new model.
It will be much shorter in total length.
It will be fitted with a 16mm diameter mount that has a groove that fits E2D and J-head designs.
Can be fitted with a Quick Connect Bowden hose fitting if needed or used without for Wade type mounting (no Bowden)

Same good features'
Still will be all CNC machined.
Still will retain the heat break design.
Still will use the male thread type nozzle fitting and sealing lands.
Still will have the heater block that takes either a power resistor or a cartridge heater.

I am also working on another design that will be first fully tested before announcement.
That model will be an all metal hotend for higher temperature filaments, it will be a different type of heat break from the Genie MK1 and MK2 models

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: New Hotend possible
August 22, 2014 07:27AM
regpye

Hi Reg,
in your opinion, what is the difference in terms of printing? Besides of course the fact that the hotend is lighter (which is good for the smartrap, given its design).

The "cold zone" seems shorter, maybe also the "melt zone"? What would this imply when printing?
August 22, 2014 06:28PM
cristian
regpye

Hi Reg,
in your opinion, what is the difference in terms of printing? Besides of course the fact that the hotend is lighter (which is good for the smartrap, given its design).

The "cold zone" seems shorter, maybe also the "melt zone"? What would this imply when printing?

The hot end of the hotend is actually the same as the MK1. Only real difference is that the cold end of the hotend has been shortened and a different (alternative) mount end has been used. The earlier mount ends will also fit if required The idea behind the changes were to shorten the overall length and to lighten the total mass.
The fact is the cold end on the MK1 is too good, and not needed to be so big.
Printing should be the same between the MK1 and MK2.
MK3 is another story, that model I still have to prove yet and do many tests to make sure it is good enough before I release any details about it.
It will be very different and much to test and adjust on the MK3 which is all metal.

[regpye.com.au]
August 22, 2014 09:09PM
Genie has a cute little brother!

Nice evolution Reg!
Less weight and more print space.
September 04, 2014 03:59AM
BackEMF
Genie has a cute little brother!

Nice evolution Reg!
Less weight and more print space.

But apparently not much interest?
I will only make these as a "supply as wanted" item, no production run, hence no, lower price possible.
The MK1 fits the i3 machines nicely, the MK2 would be too short, but ideal for a SmartRap I would have thought.

[regpye.com.au]
September 04, 2014 04:14AM
I want 5 units, lots of people wanting smartraps for Christmas =)

/Pontus
September 04, 2014 04:50AM
SweetPeas
I want 5 units, lots of people wanting smartraps for Christmas =)

/Pontus

I can make you up 5 units when you are ready. Just send me a PM and we can arrange it for you.
I would need details of shipping destination,
5 units would most likely post for the same price as 1 unit, so it would be a saving overall on them.

[regpye.com.au]
September 04, 2014 09:28PM
Interested here, but the shipping costs are terrible. The calculator says it is almost $15.00. Is that Australian or US dollars?

Milt
September 04, 2014 09:59PM
mondo50m
Interested here, but the shipping costs are terrible. The calculator says it is almost $15.00. Is that Australian or US dollars?

Milt

Yes the shipping I can't do much about.
The cost of sending one is too much, because the weight is calculated in increments of 500 grams, so 5 or 6 could be sent for the same price as one, or anything else that comes to the same weight.
I have no control over the prices that Australia Post put on the postage costs, we all complain about it here too.
Average cost in AUD is about $18.20 which would be about $15 USD.

I have already reduced the price down by $6.00 of an already very cheap quality hotend to try and offset the postal costs.
Any further reduction would make it not worth making as there is very little to be made at these prices and high risk when doing a CNC production.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 10:51PM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
September 05, 2014 03:40PM
I wasn't complaining about the prices. And I apologize if I came off that way. Your hot end is a very good price. I was merely wondering if the prices were stated in Australian or U.S. dollars. Even with the price of the shipping, your product is very much in line with all of the others.

Milt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2014 03:41PM by mondo50m.
September 05, 2014 05:40PM
mondo50m
I wasn't complaining about the prices. And I apologize if I came off that way. Your hot end is a very good price. I was merely wondering if the prices were stated in Australian or U.S. dollars. Even with the price of the shipping, your product is very much in line with all of the others.

Milt

I understand you now, yes the prices are in AUD.

[regpye.com.au]
September 16, 2014 04:25AM
The new Genie MK2 Hotend is now available and on Special until the end of October this year.
Still in limited supply as parts are still being manufactured, some by hand, some by CNC.
Soon the parts will be all CNC machined.
The new hotend also sports a J-head or E3D connector, so it will fit many existing machines already built.
It will however also take the Genie MK1 grooved nut, so it will also fit any models using that connection style.

Thank you for all those that have pre-ordered, all ordered have now been posted out or ready to go out.

[regpye.com.au]
September 29, 2014 08:14AM
Got my hotends and I must say they look great.
I have a lot on my hands right now but i will start working on the printer in a few weeks.
I'll try to upload pictures on the progress.

/P
September 29, 2014 12:49PM
SweetPeas
Got my hotends and I must say they look great.
I have a lot on my hands right now but i will start working on the printer in a few weeks.
I'll try to upload pictures on the progress.

/P

Good to know you got them already. Will you be making 5 printers? (one for each hotend?)

[regpye.com.au]
October 04, 2014 06:58AM
Reg,

I will be making at least three new printers, one for each of my children and one extra for myself.
I often find myself waiting for a print to finish and that I want to try something new out sad smiley

One of the hotends will go to my existing printer and the last one will be a spare.

/Pontus
October 04, 2014 07:11AM
SweetPeas
Reg,

I will be making at least three new printers, one for each of my children and one extra for myself.
I often find myself waiting for a print to finish and that I want to try something new out sad smiley

One of the hotends will go to my existing printer and the last one will be a spare.

/Pontus

I think you are going to be pretty busy.
I was looking at your design of single Z motor for the i3 .
I am thinking about trying that as well, but putting the motor at the bottom and also the belt at the bottom too.
Many ideas from working on the SmartRaps can also be incorporated with other machine designs.
The SmartRap work I did with the Bowden and the extruder I am making use of, with a few changes for my i3s also
Makes designing an exciting exercise, for me at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2014 08:00AM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
October 18, 2014 05:04AM
Hi Reg,
With your hotend do you offer the option of the regular cooling fan for the top of the hotend and also the option of cooling the printed part for bridging etc.?
Regards
Mike
October 18, 2014 06:41AM
mikefiatx19
Hi Reg,
With your hotend do you offer the option of the regular cooling fan for the top of the hotend and also the option of cooling the printed part for bridging etc.?
Regards
Mike

I have just started making some Bowden i3 machines after learning so much about Bowden with the SmartRaps.
The latest version of the i3 has a 30mm fan for cooling the top of the hotend. I am using Genie MK1 hotend for that.
The fan for cooling the part as printed is another fan that I can position by hand where it is needed, I use an 80mm fan for that or even two of them
The slicing software takes care of when the fan comes on and how strong the fan blows (RAMPS D9). The 30mm fan for cooling the hotend is on 100% of the time and at full power and connected to the 12 volt supply directly.
I am using the Genie MK1 for most of my builds, however I do have 500 Genie MK2 which are shorter, but not made any fan hardware for those yet.

[regpye.com.au]
October 18, 2014 06:26PM
I had a look at the I3 on your website. I dont think fitting the 80mm fan like that would be an option on the smartrap due to the space needed.
Regards
Mike
October 18, 2014 07:49PM
mikefiatx19
I had a look at the I3 on your website. I dont think fitting the 80mm fan like that would be an option on the smartrap due to the space needed.
Regards
Mike

Yes you are quiet right. I use a stand that is movable on the SmartRaps, I can place the stand where ever convenient
I am also thinking about what is the best way to mount a piece cooling fan, it is not an easy solution.

[regpye.com.au]
October 18, 2014 09:56PM
I use a 80 mm fan like that on the Smartrap and there is always a way to make a fancy fan duct. If you need to..

Or do something with bernoulli in mind.
October 18, 2014 10:10PM
BackEMF
I use a 80 mm fan like that on the Smartrap and there is always a way to make a fancy fan duct. If you need to..

Or do something with bernoulli in mind.

Yes You are right Mano, and on the MagicMakers I placed a fan behind the nozzle, mounted on an aluminium plate that was bent about 45 degrees and put a 40mm fan on that.
It blew across the piece as it was being printed and also controlled by the Mega.

Maybe something like this could be made for the SmartRaps?

[regpye.com.au]
October 19, 2014 08:10AM
The lazy way: a 2mm aluminum wire to hold the fan. It can be attached anywhere on the X arm and it allows re-adjusting the fan in all the positions and directions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 08:12AM by cristian.
October 19, 2014 07:43PM
cristian
The lazy way: a 2mm aluminum wire to hold the fan. It can be attached anywhere on the X arm and it allows re-adjusting the fan in all the positions and directions.

Sometimes simple is best ha..ha.. Good one Cristian.

[regpye.com.au]
October 20, 2014 07:10PM

so then you can place the fan at the end of the printbed and still have enough airflow.
You can print one, or just buy one very cheap and assembled from China
October 21, 2014 03:35PM
Hi Reg,
Genie Mk 2 ordered.
I found a fan at [www.thingiverse.com] and it worked well on my Jhead lite for cooling the hotend and the part.
But i want to upgrade anyway as I sometimes have issues with the extruded plastic not coming out straight down and it tries to curl up the side of the nozzle.
Looking forward to trying the new Genie Mk 2 when it arrives.
Regards
Mike
October 22, 2014 01:45AM
mikefiatx19
Hi Reg,
Genie Mk 2 ordered.
I found a fan at [www.thingiverse.com] and it worked well on my Jhead lite for cooling the hotend and the part.
But i want to upgrade anyway as I sometimes have issues with the extruded plastic not coming out straight down and it tries to curl up the side of the nozzle.
Looking forward to trying the new Genie Mk 2 when it arrives.
Regards
Mike

I am sure you will be pleased with it, everyone else has been.

[regpye.com.au]
October 25, 2014 01:02AM
I have added a section on my website showing how to re-assemble a Genie MK2 hotend, just in case someone needs to know how to do it correctly.
The link is on the hotend page, part way down the page.
There are a few things to watch, so that you get the best performance.
The same information can be used on all MK1and MK2 hotends that will be sent out from now on, as the improvements are being added to both models.

[regpye.com.au]
October 30, 2014 10:55PM
regpye
I have added a section on my website showing how to re-assemble a Genie MK2 hotend, just in case someone needs to know how to do it correctly.

Thanks Reg. I have to admit that the link is not that easy to find...
October 30, 2014 11:00PM
cristian
regpye

Thanks Reg. I have to admit that the link is not that easy to find...
Yes I am aware of that, but I will be making changes soon and making in the main menu system.
Also I have found a better way to assemble, so I will be changing the whole of that assembly page.
I will try and get it done over the weekend if I can.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login