Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Generic Genie Hotend Mount

Posted by regpye 
Generic Genie Hotend Mount
October 29, 2014 10:12PM
A number of people have asked me about a mount for the Genie hotend and as there are so many different machines out there, I decided to make a generic type that can be bolted with just two bolts onto any flat surface.
This means that a very simple design for mounting the mount on can be made and suit many different machines.
The Genie mount has provision for a 30mm fan for active cooling of the hotend and also has a printed bracket for mounting a miniature servo for auto bed leveling.
The mount will accept both MK1 and MK2 hotends and is ideal for a Bowden setup. (Will also accept E3D hotends too and any other that has a similar mounting end)
Another Genie mount is also available for i3 machines using Bowden, anyone interested please email me for the STL file.

Available for free download from my website here

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Generic Genie Hotend Mount
October 30, 2014 10:36PM
Thanks Reg! Although I read it too late... Yesterday I printed a new X end for my Smartrap to mount your hotend and at the same time to remove all the moving parts of the head. Now everything is fixed with screws, even the rods. I think that printing quality improved remarkably, tomorrow I'll post some pictures.

With your hotend and PLA I managed to print at 0.05 layer height (and even 0.03, both with 0.5 nozzle!), but I suppose to have orthogonality issues, then: since the X axis is not perfectly orthogonal to Z, the nozzle is slightly turned and creates many tiny plastic wires which are ruining the very beautiful effect of a perfectly flat surface (I cannot see layers at naked eye). But at 0.1 it works very well, and layers are barely visible anyway.

However I really want to test your hotend to the extreme: I plan to make an adjustable X end which allows manual tuning of the direction of the hotend, to see if I can get perfect results at 0.05 and less.

And all this because your hotend is so reliable that I don't even care about how low the flow of plastic is, it doesn't clog up!
October 30, 2014 10:58PM
cristian
Thanks Reg! Although I read it too late... Yesterday I printed a new X end for my Smartrap to mount your hotend and at the same time to remove all the moving parts of the head. Now everything is fixed with screws, even the rods. I think that printing quality improved remarkably, tomorrow I'll post some pictures.

With your hotend and PLA I managed to print at 0.05 layer height (and even 0.03, both with 0.5 nozzle!), but I suppose to have orthogonality issues, then: since the X axis is not perfectly orthogonal to Z, the nozzle is slightly turned and creates many tiny plastic wires which are ruining the very beautiful effect of a perfectly flat surface (I cannot see layers at naked eye). But at 0.1 it works very well, and layers are barely visible anyway.

However I really want to test your hotend to the extreme: I plan to make an adjustable X end which allows manual tuning of the direction of the hotend, to see if I can get perfect results at 0.05 and less.

And all this because your hotend is so reliable that I don't even care about how low the flow of plastic is, it doesn't clog up!

That is very good to hear Cristian. I have not had the time to experiment to the extremes that you have, so it is very much appreciated by me at least, I am sure that others are also very interested in what you have been testing. Anyway, I just want to say thanks.

[regpye.com.au]
November 01, 2014 07:45PM
I have added a better link within the main menu system now Cristian, still not updated the page though, too much work on at present, but it will be done soon.
The later method of assembly is so much easier, and also works the same for MK1 and MK2 hotend models, so I need to get this done ASAP.

[regpye.com.au]
November 01, 2014 08:16PM
Yep, much more visible now. I am very curious to know the new assembly procedure...
November 01, 2014 08:18PM
cristian
Yep, much more visible now. I am very curious to know the new assembly procedure...

I will work on that tonight and post it. Too much to do today, but it will be worth the wait, believe me.

[regpye.com.au]
November 02, 2014 08:39AM
Hi Reg,
The hotend arrived and I am ready to fit the unit. What X-end do you recommend to fit the Genie to the Smartrap 4.9 (6mm rods)?
Thanks
Mike
November 02, 2014 08:44AM
mikefiatx19
Hi Reg,
The hotend arrived and I am ready to fit the unit. What X-end do you recommend to fit the Genie to the Smartrap 4.9 (6mm rods)?
Thanks
Mike

I have made a generic one that can be used if you can get a flat plate printed that fits the 6mm rods.
It is only held on with two mounting bolts that hold the mount together and can also be used for fixing to a flat printed plate.
The STL file is in the first entry to this thread.

It may already fit one of Serges prints, maybe he can tell you if he has received his hotend yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 08:45AM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
November 04, 2014 05:17AM
regpye
A number of people have asked me about a mount for the Genie hotend and as there are so many different machines out there, I decided to make a generic type that can be bolted with just two bolts onto any flat surface.
This means that a very simple design for mounting the mount on can be made and suit many different machines.
The Genie mount has provision for a 30mm fan for active cooling of the hotend and also has a printed bracket for mounting a miniature servo for auto bed leveling.
The mount will accept both MK1 and MK2 hotends and is ideal for a Bowden setup. (Will also accept E3D hotends too and any other that has a similar mounting end)
Another Genie mount is also available for i3 machines using Bowden, anyone interested please email me for the STL file.

What is this circular thing on the top left?
Is that for an induction sensor? Or is it for cable management?
November 04, 2014 05:29AM
mandrav
regpye

Cable loom connects there.

[regpye.com.au]
November 04, 2014 06:16AM
regpye
mandrav
regpye

Cable loom connects there.

Thanks for the quick reply Reg.
Btw, I just completed an order from your site. I didn't really *need* another hotend right now but I wanted to show my support for your work and contributions so there you go smiling smiley
I hope I won't have to wait for too long now until I get this baby on my hands winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login