Advanced

Printing quality: pursuing perfection

Posted by cristian 
Re: Printing quality: pursuing perfection
November 21, 2014 09:43PM
cristian
BackEMF
why not use GT2 belt?

The only Smartrap design I saw so far with belts on the Z axis is one of Reg's designs, so he can better tell the pros and cons of using it. The reasons why I did not use gt2 belts are that
  • I should have changed considerably the design of my printer, in particular I should have used some geared system to increase the step resolution along Z;
  • I should have bought belt and pulley;
  • I had already fishing line here.
On the other hand, with fishing line no change was necessary, it took about 10 minutes to mount everything after printing the two plastic supports I needed, at nearly zero cost.

Actually I don't understand why people don't try as much as possible to use fishing line instead of belts: it is so convenient and cheap...

What I found with the GT2 z belt drive.

The weight of the assembly is too much to hold in position with a belt drive. I used a method of holding the belt tight and restrained with an additional idler bearing. This allowed the assembly to hold its position and could be moved up and down by hand without too much effort, BUT when using the stepper motor it cause all sorts of problems, like binding, jumping position on the belt and also the build was very complicated and in my mind not worth the trouble of doing.
After spending a lot of time and money on the experiment, I abandoned it as not being practical.
There is one other way of doing it that would mean a lot more in the design and also the adding of multiple bearings to make a looping system, but it would take up a lot of extra room, the design is very complicated and the expenses is simply not worth it in my mind.
Of all the systems I have used, the best has been an M6 threaded rod as the drive mechanism I chose M6 over M5 because the thread is usually more straight, better formed thread and has a 1mm lift per turn. (makes it easy to calculate steps per mm)

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
November 22, 2014 05:22AM
i'm working on a gt2 z belt system
November 22, 2014 07:06AM
fabrice974

I am sure it can be done. I will look forward to your experiments.

[regpye.com.au]
November 29, 2014 09:07PM
fabrice974
How about driving a pulley with a second belt?
One from the motor to a double timing wheel, and from the second timing wheel a belt to position the Z axis.

[regpye.com.au]
November 29, 2014 09:09PM
BackEMF
That's an interesting idea that i sure want to try.

looks like that coupling does something similair, but then with a plastic 'spacer'. It would eventually be printable aswell.

And what about setting the Z drive shaft in bearings? this way the shaft cant wobble, but the coupling has to be flexible to compensate for misalignment.

That could be printed no problem.
The ends are both the same and could be printed from PLA. The centre could be printed from Ningaflex of something similar.

[regpye.com.au]
November 29, 2014 10:47PM
regpye
How about driving a pulley with a second belt?
One from the motor to a double timing wheel, and from the second timing wheel a belt to position the Z axis.

good idea
but i'm finalizing my version and will show it this week
will see if it can be improved after
maybe start a new thread to discuss z belt system (and not polluting cristian's thread )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login