Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS power connection for simple 12V 6A a/c adapter

Posted by rcjoseb 
RAMPS power connection for simple 12V 6A a/c adapter
December 28, 2014 11:15AM
Hi.

I have a 12V 6A a/c adapter that I plan on using with my smartrap, which will not be utilizing a heated bed. Should I connect the a/c adapter wires to the 5A connection or 11A connection on the ramps?

Thanks,

rcjoseB
Re: RAMPS power connection for simple 12V 6A a/c adapter
December 28, 2014 11:31AM
5A. However, AC sounds terribly wrong. Are you sure about that? It should be DC, and RAMPS is quite iffy with polarity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 11:32AM by loidor.
December 28, 2014 12:00PM
Yes, my bad. i meant DC. Thanks for the info.
January 02, 2015 07:12PM
I run my smartrap off of a 6a computer power supply with no heated bed and have had no issues. I would just connect the 6a.
January 02, 2015 09:33PM
knife-edge
I run my smartrap off of a 6a computer power supply with no heated bed and have had no issues. I would just connect the 6a.

Me too, but I do have a heated bed, and it is mains powered. I connect a solid state relay to where the heated bed connects on the RAMPS board and it takes almost no power to run that. The heated bed gets hot very quickly and has given no problems on all my machines. The power supply I use is a small LED supply rated at 6 Amps I have built 63 machines now that way.
Sometimes I use a bigger supply, depends on what is available at the time, however the 6A supply works fine.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
January 03, 2015 12:36AM
regpye
knife-edge

Me too, but I do have a heated bed, and it is mains powered. I connect a solid state relay to where the heated bed connects on the RAMPS board and it takes almost no power to run that. The heated bed gets hot very quickly and has given no problems on all my machines. The power supply I use is a small LED supply rated at 6 Amps I have built 63 machines now that way.
Sometimes I use a bigger supply, depends on what is available at the time, however the 6A supply works fine.

Mine is the laptop style? Is yours the same? Just out of curiosity because mine was also stated as being for LED's but I've never seen LED's that have pulled 6 amps haha.
January 03, 2015 04:09AM
regpye
Me too, but I do have a heated bed, and it is mains powered.

And I'm curious on what bed you're using =)
January 03, 2015 07:58PM
knife-edge
regpye
knife-edge

Mine is the laptop style? Is yours the same? Just out of curiosity because mine was also stated as being for LED's but I've never seen LED's that have pulled 6 amps haha.

I will take a photo so you can see it.
The LEDs that they are used for are strings of LEDs for lighting large areas, these types of LED strings can draw much more than 6 amps if chained together.
Also under water LED lighting is pretty powerful too like as used for swimming pools. Under ground footpath LED lighting is another and some spotlamps that are LED powered need heavy heatsinks to conmtrol the heat given off.

[regpye.com.au]
January 03, 2015 08:01PM
loidor
regpye
Me too, but I do have a heated bed, and it is mains powered.

And I'm curious on what bed you're using =)
I had the heated beds especially made for me, the thermistors I supplied and they were inserted into the the silicone bed as it was being made. They have been made to fit my aluminium bed plates that measure 225 x 250mm and have an adhesive back that will stick firmly to the aluminium plate.

[regpye.com.au]
January 03, 2015 08:50PM
Here are some photos of the LED supplies that I use.
Some are 12.5 amps when I can get them, and others are 6 amp as shown in the RAMPS tester that I have.
Both seem to work without any issues at all. The 12.5 amp ones of coarse can be used with the normal heated beds that are available in 12 volt (I never use them)

The RAMPS tester simulates a complete machine and has all the same characteristics of a machine, with hotend, heated bed, all motors, limit tests, electronics fan, part cooling fan, the servo, LCD controller and anything else that is used on a complete machine.
I use this setup to test a batch of RAMPS-Arduino boards when they come in, so I know that all are functioning correctly, and at the same time I program the board and set the voltage references for the stepper drivers.
It means that the setup is ready to put straight into a machine after building and it will only need small adjustments like the extruder steps and Z offset being changed, all of which can be done with the LCD controller.

I also have a built-in voltage reference tester that can check the voltage references and set at the same time. The probe that touches the pot centre is also the screw driver for making the adjustment.
One of these devices would not be practical for someone that is only building a machine or two, but when getting 10-20 boards at one time, it can save a very lot of work and worry, especially if you are not sure about the boards being supplied. (best to check them as soon as possible so that if any crook ones, get them replaced)

[regpye.com.au]
January 04, 2015 12:29AM
Yes mine is sold for LED use and uses a laptop brick style. Works great on the 5A connection.

Jose
January 08, 2015 11:35PM
Mine looks like a laptop brick style as well. It's great for going places with the printer especially when you add an lcd so you can print wirelessly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login