Posted by ejbantz 
Advice on power supplies
March 28, 2015 06:52PM
Hot end:
[www.ebay.com]

Motors:
[www.robotdigg.com]

Using Arduino Mega and Ramps 1.4.

So the hot end would be 3.3 amps. 4 motors would be 4.8 amps. Total 8.1.

The controller board will draw some, but can't imagine a lot.

Is an xbox slim power supply good enough:
[www.ebay.com]

It says it does 10.8 amps. Do I need a larger buffer?

I'm using a full xbox 360 power supply right now and it gives 16.5 amps, but I wonder if that's over kill.

What sort of power supplies are you all using... and what is that black sealed power supply I see in the all the Smartrap pictures and videos?

E. J.
--
Re: Advice on power supplies
March 28, 2015 07:23PM
I've been using the 203W Xbox power supplies, but recently bought one of the 8.5A Laptop Blackbox power supplies. It wasn't up to the task. I would go with one of the 10A ones at least or the Xbox slim.
March 28, 2015 09:09PM
Thanks!
March 28, 2015 09:49PM
Both the hotends and motors look super sketchy. Going higher quality (genuine hotends, pololu motors) will save you money in the long one. I'd recommend just getting an old ATX power supply Works great for both my printers.
March 29, 2015 11:08AM
If you are not using a heated bed, you can use a 12V 6A laptop style power supply. That's what I use. On that hotend, make sure you place a fan across those heat sink fins that is always on or else you are going to get pla jams/clogs.
March 29, 2015 05:59PM
Ordered one of these:
[www.ebay.com]

They'll be a little less expensive than the xbox 360 slim power supplies for the group build.

Here are the specs:

Dell Power Supply, Model F180FU-00
Input: 100-240V, 3.2A
Output: 12V, 15A

Here is the guide I'll use when modding it:
[lbmakersociety.org]
March 29, 2015 06:43PM
Well, as luck would have I have 3 of those laying around... Thanks for the link... smiling smiley
March 31, 2015 10:37AM
Your motors musnt need that high current. 200 mA is enough, unless you have two Z motors (400mA) and the extruder (400 mA)
I use a 12 wats heater resistor, and its really fine, and no heatbed, just tufnol. That way you save a lot of energy! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login