Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Madmike8's Funbot build #2

Posted by madmike8 
Re: Madmike8's Funbot build #2
May 08, 2015 10:53AM
I knew I'd seen discussion about these mosfets before. Seems like they won a shootout a few years ago here: [reprap.org]
Seems like a sensible move and they're on my shopping list now.
May 08, 2015 10:54AM
That explains it.. I might have to do that, because I have to keep a fan on mine at the moment.

Thank you sir
May 08, 2015 11:14AM
Glad I could help! smiling smiley
May 08, 2015 11:47AM
Looks like I got more Mosfets to order along with some sort of terminal connection for the hotends, thermistors, and fans. Kinda think I want to be able to swap out my chimera for a j-head easily. Still have some testing to do on my knockoff and this makergeeks pla just hates me on the chimera
May 12, 2015 09:00AM
does the pla keep jamming in the chimera?
May 12, 2015 09:13AM
Yeah but only the makergeeks stuff
May 12, 2015 09:52AM
Post up your ideas on quick change hotend, I'd be interested in that.

I'm using some Esun Silver PLA from Hobbyking.com in Funbot#1 right now. Seems to be working good @190C.

On the knockoff all metal hotends. I like the ones with the ptfe tube in the threaded nozzle, but you need to disassemble and check to make sure everything looks right and reassemble before use.
May 12, 2015 09:54AM
I will be using terminal blocks like this one pictured for all connections between the ramps board and devices. I am not sure about using it for the hot end connection.

May 31, 2015 06:52AM
About the MK3 heatbed:
What do I have to adjust to use it?
Do I need longer rods for the X and Y axis?
How exactly do you mount it?
May 31, 2015 09:42AM
I bought one of the aluminum bed plates from folgertech on eBay. That was pre-drilled for the heatbed. Then used the Funbot Bed Drill Guide #1 to drill the mounting holes for the Funbot. That aligns it correctly for the Funbot. I had bought 12" x 3/8" K&S rods/tubes from eBay (you can usually get them at your local hobby store too). When I drilled my base with the paper base drill guide, I drilled all holes normally except the Y base mounts. I marked those with a pencil, and then used a straight edge ruler to Mark a line through them to both ends of the base plate. I measured from the outside edge to the mounting holes of each Y base mount. I then measured and marked the plate along the previous lines for the mounting holes. Then I drilled those holes. This allowed me to move the Y mounts to the very edge of the plate.

For the X axis. I mounted the X end pulley mount on the very end of the tubes. (Don't forget to slide on your X carriage bushings.) I then slid/tapped them into the Z carriage enough to get coverage of the print bed and tightened the X rods set screws. I use a level to make sure the rods are vertical before tightening the set screws completely. I then drill a slightly smaller then 3mm holes in the X end to tighten the rods there too with M3 screws that self tap into the plastic.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 05:37PM by madmike8.
May 31, 2015 11:20AM
Thanks, it should indeed.
I ordered two of the pre-drilled bed plates from Aliexpress (as two gave a better price and I'm already planning the next printer, lol), and one MK3 aluminium heatbed.

But I have another question:
How do you mount the steppers? It seems that it is planned to use two of the stepper's own screws each, but the screws from my steppers come loose already when I unscrew them for a few millimeters, meaning they're much too short to mount the stepper to anything.
I can get short UNC 4-40 screws here (for PC use), but it's next to impossible to get long ones.

Any ideas?
May 31, 2015 04:25PM
Ok, found a solution. It's actually possible to drill a M3 thread into an existing 4-40 one.
So I converted two of the stepper's threads to M3, and can now use as long screws as I want.
May 31, 2015 05:40PM
My steppers used m3 threads. I used a m3x50mm screw to replace the stock stepper screws. Screw them from the bottom to the top of the stepper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 05:41PM by madmike8.
June 01, 2015 07:52AM
One additional question:
What dimensions did you use for the base plate?
The same ones (280x240mm) that Cliff used? Or bigger, because of the MK2 heatbed?
June 01, 2015 08:04AM
p.s., how are the adjustment screws mounted?
Head of the screw on top, then the spring, then the aluminium plate with threads?
Or the other way around?
Or do you use threaded bolts in between?
Maybe a detailed picture of one screw would be nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 08:19AM by uhrheber.
June 01, 2015 08:40AM
I'm using a 11 3/4" D x 12"W board.

The heatbed is mounted screw through top of heat bed, the nut, then 15mm length of 3mm high temp silicone tubing, then bed plate, then adjusting wing nut.

June 01, 2015 10:02AM
Ah, ok.
Clever to use silicone tubing.
Many thanks for the photo.
June 03, 2015 09:36AM
Here mike is my progress on funbot pro smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]
June 03, 2015 10:00AM
Looking Good Cliff.
June 04, 2015 01:21AM
good job
you really need to move the gt2 pinion closer to the bearing to avoid flexion in the rod!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 01:25AM by fabrice974.
June 04, 2015 06:11AM
fabrice974
good job
you really need to move the gt2 pinion closer to the bearing to avoid flexion in the rod!

It will have 2 more bearings in the front like the back have but haven't done a design for it so far smiling smiley
Buk
June 08, 2015 04:47AM
I have started my Funbot build but the holes in the Z axis base seem to small for the 3/8" solid aluminum rods that I purchased. So much that I have to hammer them in with a hammer. The first rod I tried is in about half way. Should I continue or back it back out and drill the holes out bigger? If I continue hammering the rod in do you think the plastic will split? I have chamford/beveled the rod ends but that didn't help.
June 08, 2015 09:30AM
You can drill out or use a lighter to gently heat up the plastic so it will expand. If not the plastic layers will separate
June 08, 2015 10:07AM
I had to tap mine in. I set the base on a table and tapped them in from the top. You can take a smaller drill bit and just lightly ream around the holes to clean them up a bit. The taller new version base was a bit harder to get the rods in to though. I don't think it will split as long as your tapping down while it's on a hard surface, but if it does let me know and i'll print you another one...
Buk
June 08, 2015 02:57PM
Thanks for the info Mike, I'll continue with the tapping and see what happens.
June 11, 2015 05:30AM
I can hear the sound of cracking plastic in the back of my head.
Kinda creepy.
June 11, 2015 09:18AM
Huh? If your plastic skull plate is cracking, you might want to have that looked at...
June 17, 2015 08:12AM
Here is the promised video with it in action smiling smiley
Pro gets closer to release winking smiley
[youtu.be]

its first ever print smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2015 08:13AM by Cliff Mellangård.
Attachments:
open | download - title.jpg (408.9 KB)
July 21, 2015 02:51PM
Well, I finally got #2 up and printing. Feels good to get some of these back logged projects finished up.

Everything is working well, but I don't like the PLA Bushings as well as I like the Bronze Bushings in #1.
I might change those out in the future.

July 21, 2015 03:26PM
Sadly so do the printed ones nead some grinding before they are well.
As soon as I have moved to my new place so will I start on all the upgrades and updates smiling smiley
Should be earlu august smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login