Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Willera's SmartrapCore Build

Posted by willera 
Re: Willera's SmartrapCore Build
May 08, 2015 06:46AM
moving my printer from my mates house to mine has had the effect of going back to square one with calibrating! yay......

however added up the cost for all my parts and it comes to £160! not bad tbf for the piece of kit I now have! (when it works of course aha)
May 08, 2015 08:21AM
willera
[attachment 53995 _20150502_193825.JPG]

Finished yoda, one ears abit funny bit otherwise good!smiling smiley happy

That's an awesome first print!

Which version of voltage regulator or voltage divider for the inductive sensor signal did you use?
May 08, 2015 11:22AM
The sensor I bought (from the guys at smartfriendz) came with the two sensor wires having resistors on them, so I just plugged it in and it worked. not sure which one it is! i guess its the divider tho?? not really sure
May 08, 2015 11:40AM
Thanks - I'll assume it's the divider.
May 08, 2015 06:58PM
it is smiling smiley

it's just two 10k resistors to have a 5v signal .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
May 08, 2015 07:35PM
Thanks, I've got a 33k and 45k ready to get 5V from 12V signal.
May 09, 2015 06:18PM
Best spool holder ever....

May 09, 2015 07:54PM
Sweet! What speed are you running prints at and how's the noise?

Are you in UK (you used £ costs)? I'll be getting some IRLB8743PBF to upgrade the RAMPS soon from a bigger Farnell order and am happy to get some for others and post at cost. They are 65p each on Farnell and £2 on eBay but I know I'm getting genuine parts from Farnell - ebay is a counterfeit lottery as far as I'm concerned. Let me know if you are interested.
May 10, 2015 06:17AM
noise is bearable when i'm in the room with it, however went downstairs last night and you can hear it vibrating through the floor quite a bit, i did orginially have the current turned down so it was quieter but it was drifting while printing.

yeah i am in the UK, what does that part do?
May 10, 2015 09:10AM
Yes, it's the vibration nose transmitted through the house that I'm concerned about. I do lots of my printing after my wife and children have gone to bed and a couple of them are very light sleepers.

What is your VREF set to now and what did you have it on when you were getting drift? Also could you just confirm you're using A4988s with nema 17 motors?

The IRLB8743PBF is a MOSFET. They are the two switches which are near the heated bed and hotend terminal on the RAMPS board and look like this [uk.farnell.com]
They allow the pins on the arduino which can only supply 10s of milliAmps to turn on and off large currents and also at voltages which the arduino can't handle.

The MOSFET comes with its own resistance when on, called RdsOn in the datasheet, and this is the number you use to calculate how much heat will be converted from electricity in the MOSFET and need to be dissipated from the MOSFET, using the formula heat power to dissipate (unit Watts) = RdsOn x Current squared (^2 in spreadsheet formula). The MOSFET is only rated to a certain temperature so if you can't adequately dissipate heat the temperature may rise close to this limit and start to damage the component. You can add a heat sink in good thermal contact with the MOSFET (the hole in the aluminium tab is so you can screw it to a heat sink) and although this is standard practice for stepper motor drivers, in the brief period I have been following RAMPS I haven't heard of people doing this for their MOSFETS.

Given that the power is proportional to the square of the current and only directly proportional to the RdsOn, the current is the most significant factor in this issue and I understand that the heated bed currents are much higher than the hotend (and certainly the fans) so we ought to focus on the heated bed first.

You could reduce the current going to the heated bed (through firmware) and insulate it better (underneath mainly!), or accept longer heating times and lower maximum temperature. I have just bought a Mk3 bed with the shiny aluminium side facing up, which will minimise radiant heat loss. Enclosing the print space might allow higher air temperature in contact with the heated bed and reduce convective heat loss but then we're into a balance with print layer cooling requirements etc. The print cooling fan will also have an impact. So what else can we do to reduce the thermal stress on the MOSFET (assuming you also don't want hot components near you or a thermoplastic enclosure)?

The stock RAMPS MOSFETS are designed to be cheap and don't have a great RdsOn, whereas the IRLB8743PBF has a very low RdsOn at the voltages and currents we are interested in (RdsOn varies with current, voltage differences between MOSFET pins and ambient temperature). Here's some good research on the best MOSFET for our needs [reprap.org]
You will notice that the pulse width modulation frequency is also relevant and I don't know what marlin uses but arduino pwm functions are usually about 400Hz IIRC, so on the end of the spectrum which is good for MOSFET switching. The datasheet attributes which are relevant to the frequency impact on heating are the times to switch on/off, given as rise time and fall time (usually in nanoseconds).

There are a few other factors to consider when selecting a MOSFET for RAMPS, max DC voltage, max current (note this can be limited by the package or physical size of the MOSFET and need a heat sink to reach the level stated in the datasheet - our needs should be fine with a TO220 package without a heat sink) and VgsThreshold, which is the voltage needed from the switching controller to start turning the MOSFET on (for N channel MOSFET) or off (for P channel MOSFET). This voltage is just the start of the turning on/off so a good rule of thumb is to double this to be confident that the MOSFET can be fully switched on/off by your controller. The IRLB8743PBF has VgsThreshold of 1.8V and we're confident our 5V arduino can achieve double that (3.6V) when it switches a pin to a high state.

Sorry if that was too much detail or patronising.
May 12, 2015 04:52AM
yeah speed wise i'm going at around 15mm/s atm, but for yoda and such i was doing around 20. I've just been messing around with all the settings trying to get a perfect first layer recently. However problems with my computer turning off and my jhead mk v clone just dragging on everything I splashed out on a LCD screen and SD card reader, an E3d v6 (proper one) and some cork board. Should be here by the end of the week! so excited, should improve things by 1000% hopefully using the e3d. Also looking forward to having an sd card reader finally. Will keep you updated on the progress of the upgrades!
May 22, 2015 07:26PM
The IRLB8743PBF mosfets are in. Happy to post at cost to anyone who wants something that is going to heat up their RAMPS 1.4 less. PM me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login