Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First few layers drag confused smiley

Posted by joecarpita 
First few layers drag confused smiley
May 29, 2015 01:45PM
So here's a new problem I'm encountering, I'm finally up and running pretty well, and for the most part my prints turn out okay...once they get past the first few layers. See the photo for what I mean.

It appears as though the head is dragging along on the first layers, I suspect it has something to do with the z-offset, but I figured I would check with you all for suggestions first.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0028.JPG (345 KB)
Re: First few layers drag confused smiley
May 29, 2015 02:24PM
Looks like one of your axis is skipping steps. Also, either you are under extruding (Extruder steps not correct) or your nozzle size is not correct when slicing ( Your fill is not complete)
May 29, 2015 02:39PM
It's your belt with good tension? i have uses with this on my Prusa i3...

Maybe Smartrap Core needs a system to put tension on the belts.
May 29, 2015 03:51PM
Celeda -- Belt tensions is pretty tight, tighter than on my Kossel della style printer, that doesn't seem like it.

Duranza -- Nozzle size is correct, and extruder steps are correct per rcjoseb's great guides on calibration. How would I know for certain that one of the axis is skipping steps? Any other things to look/listen for?
May 29, 2015 04:21PM
If the nozzle size is correct and the e-steps are too, then there should not be any gaps on top and bottom layers. Maybe you are printing too hot and too fast.

You can tell one axis is skipping because of the steps/ slanting you see on your prints. This might be caused by either your z offset being too low and the print head drags on the bed. This causes friction and overloads the driver making it skip. Or the other thing might be the z axis steps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 04:22PM by duranza.
May 29, 2015 05:15PM
Ok, another possibility, you have adjusted the current of the drivers?

if the motor is over powered, or under powered, in both cases you can loose steps...

The ideal power rating is obtained from the formula: 0.707106781 * max rating power of the motors.

It happens to me.

Hope can help...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 05:17PM by CeledaBcn.
May 29, 2015 06:28PM
If you are using DRV8825 stepper drivers, do not set the jumpers so that the motors are at 1/32 stepping. The RAMPS cannot handle it and will skip steps. I had the same issue when I first built my SmartRap. 1/16th is best for axis and either 1/16 or 1/8 for the extruder.
May 29, 2015 06:40PM
I solved my own problem. The Z Probe Offset instructions here did the trick: [build3dparts.com]

I've got a great print going right now. Thanks for the advice and input everyone, it looks like I've got a great working smartrap on my hands.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0033.JPG (466.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login