Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SmartRapCore dual Z axis with 2 motors issue

Posted by rcjoseb 
SmartRapCore dual Z axis with 2 motors issue
May 30, 2015 08:30PM
I loaded Repetier firmware to run the printer which is moving all the axis in the correct direction and the NPN NO endstop (inductive sensor) is working perfectly.

However, when I home Z the axis, the z axis motor nearest to the sensor (x = 0, y 0, z = 0) stops when the sensor is triggered while the other z axis axis motor keeps going.

I would think that both Z axis moors would stop when the endstop is triggered.
During motion, the printed bed is level so it does not appear that one motor is going faster than the other.
Motors are each connected to their own header on the RAMPS and being driven by one driver.

Any ideas?

p.s. I like the Repetier firmware better than Marlin. Thanks for the tip, Jerry!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Re: SmartRapCore dual Z axis with 2 motors issue
May 31, 2015 09:49AM
Doh... Need coffee...

Not sure why that doesn't work correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 09:50AM by madmike8.
May 31, 2015 11:55AM
Motors are connected togheter ?
I mean red with red, blue with blue etc. ?
A friend of mine, who sell 3D printers, do the same and get trouble too.
Remove one motor and us a shaft to connect the first motor to the second belt.
One motor is better, at least this time winking smiley
May 31, 2015 08:20PM
I got it resolved. Stupidity on my part. eye popping smiley The inductive sensor was not actually triggering and stopping the front side of the bed. It was physically stopping it and hence the back kept going. eye popping smiley

I am using an NPN NO inductive sensor and after watching Tom's Sandlerer's video, listening carefully to what he said and some testing, I figured out that my LM7805 was wired incorrectly. When using an NPN NO inductive sensor, only connect the output pin of the LM7805 to the signal pin on the y-min endstop header. If you attach both signal pin and a ground, it will either cause the RAMPS to fail or it will never recognize the voltage drop to 0 which is how that inductive sensor works. Once I set it up correctly, the Z homing works and both axis stop. Now I just have to play with the auto level stuff.

I am using repetier firmware, which is great so far. I have attached the configuration.h file in doc format. If you wish to use it, just rename it to configuration.h

Repetier has a nice setup tool for configuration. [www.repetier.com]

[smartrapbuild.files.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 08:20PM by rcjoseb.
June 01, 2015 03:46PM
rcjoseb

I am using an NPN NO inductive sensor and after watching Tom's Sandlerer's video, listening carefully to what he said and some testing, I figured out that my LM7805 was wired incorrectly. When using an NPN NO inductive sensor, only connect the output pin of the LM7805 to the signal pin on the y-min endstop header. If you attach both signal pin and a ground, it will either cause the RAMPS to fail or it will never recognize the voltage drop to 0 which is how that inductive sensor works.

Forgive me, so u attach the ground of 7805 to general ground (supply ground) ?
As i'm still waiting for belt (it comes from china!) i try to collect more info as i can so I can minimize the mistake winking smiley

Thanks !!!
June 01, 2015 04:39PM
Yes, you are correct

The Black signal from the inductor goes to input (left) leg of 7805.
The 12V supply ground goes to ground (middle) leg of 7805.
The Y-min header signal pin goes to out (right) leg of 7805.

When I attached the ground leg of the 7805 to the ground pin on the RAMPS and the ground pin on the header, the board would power on but not the LCD and the RAMPS was not responsing. I do not know if I could have just attached the 7805 ground to the ground pin on the y-min header and skipped the ground on the 12V supply completely.

Also, with the way I connected it, I did not have to disable the y-min endstop pullup resistor in the firmware. (#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MIN true)
June 04, 2015 12:54PM
Also discovered something new :-)

On a dual belt axis, increase the torque of the Z motors by using 1/8 stepping. With either a thin piece of hardwood or glass as the print bed, the axis would grind to a halt using 1/6 stepping. With the new stepping, it works beautifully.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login