Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenJSCAD v1.01 v 1.2

Posted by MichaelBrock 
OpenJSCAD v1.01 v 1.2
July 10, 2015 11:21PM
I am in the process of planning my first 3D printer build and the SmartRap looks like an excellent option. I am still in the "read everything I can find" stage and I have been tinkering with the OpenJSCAD files. One thing that looks "awkward" to me with this design is the cantilevered bed so I'm planning on going with the two z axes, and probably with the screw rods. The OpenJSCAD file for version 1.01 has the option for adding a second z axis assembly and the option for the threaded rods. However, the 1.2 version does not. Was there an issue with the addition of the second z-axis assembly that caused Smartfriendz to take it out of the 1.2 design? Also, with the addition of the second z-axis assembly the v1.01 design moves the z-axis assembly to the sides rather than front/back (like rcjoseb did in is marvelously well documented build).

Michel
Re: OpenJSCAD v1.01 v 1.2
July 10, 2015 11:39PM
Thanks for the compliment.

If you are going with a double z axis for either a threaded rod or lead screw you can get the redesigned parts from jerry on the youmagine website. [www.youmagine.com]

If you want to use a belt system, then just print two of each of the z axis parts. The single z axis and double z axis both get mounted in the front or back. For the front you can easily mount the parts by puting braces in the front of the box at the top and bottom. That is why I built my box using vertical and horizontal pueces instead of full sides or fronts.
July 11, 2015 10:39AM
It is becoming pretty clear that step one of building a 3d printer is to find a friend that has a 3d printer smiling smiley

Looking at the redesigned parts, I think I understand now how they would work.

If you want to use a belt system, then just print two of each of the z axis parts. The single z axis and double z axis both get mounted in the front or back. For the front you can easily mount the parts by puting braces in the front of the box at the top and bottom.

Would the same thing be true for using two of the threaded rods for the z axis? i.e. duplicates sets of the z-axis parts, one each for the front and back? I would assume so as I can't think of any reason they would be different.

Thanks for the reply!
July 11, 2015 01:14PM
Yes two of each part, whether mechanical, ie. motors, screws, nuts, bearings, etc. or 3D printed part.
July 11, 2015 11:42PM
Hi Michael,

I'm in the process of putting one of these together too.

Having problems with their STL generation from openjscad. it wants to put some parts in an impossible arrangement to print.

and im wondering if the output from openscad and openjscad and blender are the same...I think they take the "open source" a bit far... pick one and stick with it and maintain it is better than trying to maintain 3 from different maintainers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2015 11:43PM by thetazzbot.
July 12, 2015 12:06PM
You're quite a bit a head of me! I have never seen a 3d printer in use (in person at least). I'm still trying to sort out the various software tools. I downloaded the stl files from OpenJSCAD.org but OpenSCAD apparently can't edit an STL file as far as I can tell. So I'm useless! Hopefully one of the more experienced members will step in and provide answers.

Michael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login