Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smartfriendz - please fix your repo

Posted by thetazzbot 
Smartfriendz - please fix your repo
July 13, 2015 06:20PM
Trying to use either the Openjscad or the openscad and getting frustrated with irreconcilable differences.

Look at the two images attached

the openscad is not rendering the whole part

if you change the wall thickness to 19 in openjscad, it renders the part joined in the middle, useless.

I'm using the "Edit in OpenJSCAD" link from youmagine

The parts are not rendering complete in openscad
Re: Smartfriendz - please fix your repo
July 14, 2015 03:40AM
After you click on the Edit in OpenJSCad link

1. select printed parts plate next to what to show
2. Set your parameters for rods, board width and motors
3. set 32 as the resolution
4. Click on update

Once the entire printed parts plate appears:

1. Click on get stl.
2. Once the stl file is downloaded to your pc give it a name like Master plate.
3. Open it up in Cura.
4. In Cura right click on the part and select separate object into parts and give it some time
5. Once done delete parts that you do not want or delete parts to fit on the plate. For example keep only the motor mounts.
6. Save it as a plate. For example save it as motor mounts.
7. Reload the master stl and repeat the process until you have stl files with parts you want

These are the steps I explain in my video. You cannot edit the parts in openscad otherwise there would be an edit in openscad link. All you can do is take openscad source code and copy into openjscad, not the reverse.
July 14, 2015 01:15PM
Thank you for the education on Cura.

Now, I shall education you on the repo smiling smiley

Smartfriendz publishes a Github repository where their "open source" code is stored.

[github.com]

There are three flavors, blender, openscad, and openjscad.

Using the "OpenSCAD" application you can open the smartcore.scad file, set some parameters, and generate parts either as an assembly or as an individual part.

Alternatively, you can go to the youmagine site and open the project in their online openjscad tool

What I was pointing out in my original message is, that if you're going to publish "open source" code maybe it should be consistent across the flavors (openscad/openjscad) and keep the repo maintained, this means fixing bugs such as the one with the "joined at the hip" motor mounts I reported above.

I've forked the repo and once I find the offending lines I will issue a pull request to them hopefully they will incorporate the bug fix.

Regards,
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 01:16PM by thetazzbot.
July 14, 2015 04:42PM
You are right mark, the github, thingiverse and youmagine are absolutely not synchro lately. We have made big ( and small ) changes and we need to clean this up . Now we have a good version in production .

On the other side, I think i will remove most of the options for now ( wood thickness, rod size, diferent sizes, Z system with screw, etc.... ) . I really tried to make it work but we are too small team to maintain that by ourselves. At every new design, I would need to rework the all options because as you have seen, lot of them don't work anymore.

I'm really sorry for that but i think we will only publish our basic version and let the community make their own options , so the work is more shared , for the best of all smiling smiley

We are thinking maybe publish all in onshape . It's so easy to copy and change parameters .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
July 14, 2015 05:05PM
I'd best hurry to save copies of the files with my options then! I am not yet skilled enough to increase the dimensions of the walls or rods on my own. Even if they prove flawed, at least they will be a better starting point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 05:26PM by MichaelBrock.
July 14, 2015 11:54PM
rcjoseb
Once the entire printed parts plate appears:

1. Click on get stl.
2. Once the stl file is downloaded to your pc give it a name like Master plate.
3. Open it up in Cura.
4. In Cura right click on the part and select separate object into parts and give it some time
5. Once done delete parts that you do not want or delete parts to fit on the plate. For example keep only the motor mounts.
6. Save it as a plate. For example save it as motor mounts.
7. Reload the master stl and repeat the process until you have stl files with parts you want

I find this process very time consuming when splitting large plate into individual stl. Found the python-stlsplitter very handy.
July 15, 2015 01:00AM
Well im glad i got the sources now then lol

Yhank you for publishing the design. Personally i think you overwhelmed youself by supporting too many cad formats. Focus on openscad should be sufficient. Thingiverse customizer uses it.

I am not yet in love with openscad but it has its merits
July 18, 2015 10:16AM
@smartfriendz Please keep the options in openjscad! I would like to change wood and still be able to make new prints of version 1.2. Can you leave in openjscad as it is and only focus on the simplified options for the next version (1.3?)?
Thanks, Simon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login