Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tinpau's SmartRap - A first 3d printer build

Posted by Tinpau 
Tinpau's SmartRap - A first 3d printer build
July 22, 2015 10:01PM
Well after a few months of planning, saving and having a great guy (EJ Bantz) print the plastic parts, I am finally on my way to building my first 3d printer a SmartRap. Ordered some/most parts this weekend and received a bunch of it today. I got the Mega board, the Ramps board, stepper sticks, nema 17 motors, belts and gears, rods, LCD, Heatbed, and have the E3D Lite hot end coming.... Just need a little more $$$ to get the bearings (Linear and roller) and hardware (Screws and nuts) to start putting it together. Wish me luck...I'm sure I'll be asking questions.... I will try to keep this updated with my progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 10:02PM by Tinpau.
Re: Tinpau's SmartRap - A first 3d printer build
July 26, 2015 10:47AM
Guess what came in the mail, yesterday ???

Will be collecting/ordering final parts this week. Found some nice wire and some of the tools I'll need. Should be able to start building next week !!

I will probably be asking lots of questions.

Thank you RCJoseB for the build vdeos, I am reviewing them this weekend.

Tinpau
Attachments:
open | download - gummmi.jpg (95.9 KB)
July 26, 2015 12:18PM
Looking forward to seeing build pics!
July 30, 2015 01:23PM
Question for all of you that have built the "original" Smart Rap printer. (whatever version). I have a 8x8 heat bed that I bought as some of my parts I am collecting. Could I (of course I can), but would it work ok if I increased the Y rod length and had a 12 or 18" wide bed with the heat bed under the center. Idea being that I would use the center area (8x8) when needing a heated build surface and then use the whole 12 or 18 x 8 area when not. Thinking a piece of glass on the heat bed, hanging out on each side of it. giving me a rectangular print area. Hope that I explained that well enough. If not ask and I will try again. LOL

Tinpau (Paul)
July 30, 2015 05:24PM
I used a 8x10 picture frame glass on my original Smartrap. I'm not sure I would try much larger than that. You might could add an extra Y support bearing for it. Your just gonna just give it a go, and see how it works.
July 30, 2015 09:03PM
Yeah... I guess I will have to give it a try. Part of the reason I chose the SmartRap was the ability or possibility of modification and being creative. Thanx MadMike8

Tinpau
July 31, 2015 02:32PM
I used the glass from a 10" x 10" picture frame that I purchased at Hobby Lobby as my printed bed (non heated). I increased the Y and X rods accordingly and added two additional bearing supports at the very front of the glass bed for support. The supports are 3D printed parts with 608ZZ bearings to keep the glass from angling downward.
August 02, 2015 05:05PM
Well hopefully this week I can get the rest of the nuts and bolts and order the remaining bearings. I plan on getting some extra 608ZZ "skate" bearings to use in a few of those supports. That's what I like about this printer... very easy to modify and try things. I just ordered extra 8mm and 6mm rods to give me some flexibility when I start to put this all together. Part of my delay is I'm trying to move into the 3rd bedroom of our new place (had to repaint and fix it up some) to use as my computer/printer room.
August 30, 2015 11:17PM
Well , I am getting ready to start assembly ... Cut the rods tonight and started to sort out the parts . Here are a few pics of what I am starting with. i am out of town for work this week so assembly will have to wait til next weekend. Hopefully my MK7 drive gear will arrive by them.

Tinpau
Attachments:
open | download - Smartrap parts 1.jpg (355.1 KB)
open | download - Smartrap parts 2.jpg (314.5 KB)
September 19, 2015 01:49AM
ARGH !!... I seemed to have lost or never received (probably lost) the other half of the extruder bearing holder for the original SmartRap . Would anyone have an extra one or be willing to print one for me ??? Or if you think there is a better/improved bowden extruder I should be using, and can print the parts. please let me know. I certainly have no problem paying for the plastic and shipping to Wisconsin. Guess I will have to work on other parts of the printer till I get this solved.

Tinpau

ps.. included is a picture of the half I have... just so you know what I am looking for,

Thanx again
Attachments:
open | download - bearing holder half.jpg (262.5 KB)
September 19, 2015 08:38AM
I love this extruder - better than the smartcore one link
September 19, 2015 10:08AM
Smerrett79 - I was looking at that one.... it looked real simple and not a lot of bits and pieces. Only problem is I can't print it. I will have to check Ebay and see if someone is selling the kit. I thought I saw it. Thanx for the recommendation.
September 19, 2015 07:51PM
Tin? You located in the U.S?
September 20, 2015 12:37AM
Thanx to everyone for offering help and support here and on Facebook. MadMike8 you rock!! RC Jose you rock !!

While waiting for replacement parts I am still working oin other parts of the printer and it is coming together nicely.
Sure is fun seeing it come together....

here is the latest picture

Thanx again everyone !!
Attachments:
open | download - SmartRap Mega coming together.jpg (375.3 KB)
September 20, 2015 03:41PM
i would have sent you one , but i think i would use a local prnier if you're in usa ( too much shipping for this small part ) .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
September 23, 2015 02:51PM
Doh, forgot to mention. extruder should be there tomorrow.
September 23, 2015 05:53PM
Thanx MadMike8. I will let you know. Just looking at getting an inductive sensor and setting it up for bed leveling instead of the microswitch & hotend pressing on bed to level. I see a lot of people have done that.

Figured out some things last night and looks like printbed size will be 16"wide x 12" deep. could probably got slightly deeper but I am concerned about the arm length and possible droop.

We shall see....

Tinpau
September 23, 2015 07:36PM
My experience with the original Smartrap. Droop will happen. The auto level works pretty good, after you get the Z offset correct. The problem is if you move the machine at all, your going to have to redo the Z offset. Once dialed in, it prints wonderfully... Until you move it again. Of course my Smartrap wasn't mounted on a base which probably didn't help.
September 23, 2015 11:08PM
Well I have a huge base I have mounted it to. I am trying to make it as stable as possible and then I figure I will do some tings to make it even better (I hope) Whatever happens I am hoping to enjoy this experience. I will have to work on dialing it in I'm sure. I bought 4 colors of PLA to start and wondering what I should start with. I got white, black, green and blue... Are colors easier to dial in or white ?? Got to start getting the wiring taken care of soon... and the extruder... LOL. I am getting more and more excited.
Going to the Milwaukee Maker Faire this weekend. I'm sure that will get me ready to finish it up.

Thanx again everyone for the help and I'm sure I will be looking for more help in the coming days.

Tinpau
September 25, 2015 12:16AM
MadMike8 - Got the extruder today !! Thanx so much. I just got time to work on it a little and got it mounted. Looks like it will work really well.

Getting late and I have work tomorrow, But thanx again

Tinpau
September 25, 2015 07:26PM
RC Jose - Thank you for sending me the extruder !! Man this community is great. Thank you gain .. I have Mad Mike's extruder mounted now and will be testing that one. I will keep yours for testing at a later date...

Thank you also for your great videos.... I am watching, following and learning all the time.

I sure I will have more questions soon... I am starting the electronics this weekend

Tinpau
September 28, 2015 10:55AM
My Pleasure!

Good luck with the build! Yes, this community is great. I wish many more would be like this.

Jose
October 04, 2015 06:21PM
Well I am following RCJose's great Blog about the Marlin firmware and flashing the Arduino board. When do the "Verify/Compile" I get an error.

'DEFAULT_kp' was not declared in this scope

And then I get the line hightlighted in red.

float Kp=DEFAULT_Kp;

I am stuck.... can someone tell me how to solve this problem ??

Thanx

Tinpau
October 04, 2015 08:45PM
GOT IT !! just reloaded RC Jose's Config.h file and re-modded it for my stuff and then it worked. I had done something last time to mess it up... a mis-type probably.

Here is a picture after flashing Marlin.

Best part is NO MAGIC SMOKE !!!

Now to start hooking up the stepper motors , etc

Thanx again everyone for all the help with parts and advice and guidance.

Tinpau
Attachments:
open | download - Smartrap Display test.jpg (558.1 KB)
October 31, 2015 08:19PM
QUESTIONS ----

I can move all the axis x,y,z, and extruder using the manual controls in Repetier . I just sliced a stl for a dry run and the printer did move.

Also it seems the endstops have no effect .. I enter a command M119 and it will report the endstops. When I do it says triggered when they are depressed and open when they are not.

I really want to get this thing printing and I know I am close..... So how do I get the printer to know where 0,0,0 is ??

Thanx in advance

Tinpau

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 09:52PM by Tinpau.
November 04, 2015 08:35PM
UPDATE - I got it homing now... took some advice I got and re-flashed Marlin and then modified the set up for my hardware. So that works and the end stops are working too. Just installed my inductive sensor for bed level and z-stop. now to get the 4 plot points into Marlin and test. Should be printing soon !!! Thanx for all the help EVERYONE. I read alot of the threads here and they all seem to teach me something.

Tinpau
November 04, 2015 10:38PM
I can't wait to see your first prints...
November 12, 2015 01:21PM
Well it prints !! So now comes the calibration ..... Tips for a good 'ol smartrap ??

And again thanx to everyone here for the help

Tinpau
November 14, 2015 12:36PM
Can't give you the perfect settings but richrap.blogspot.co.uk has a great extruder calibration guide in his Slic3r is Nicer - Part 3 post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login