Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X and Y axis not square

Posted by mikelamike 
X and Y axis not square
July 27, 2015 02:34PM
Hi Smartrappers,
I have built a smartrap (not the core xy version) a few months ago and i have a strange thing happening on the x, y axis. When I print a square it comes out looking like a square but its actually a bit diamond shaped. I never saw this in the parts until i tried to build some 90 degree brackets and i saw that when they were finished they were not square when they were next to each other.
Is there any way to have the printer compensate for this in the firmware so I dont have to build all new printer parts? I.e. have it move 1mm in X direction for every 20mm in Y direction etc. to compensate.
I hope that all this makes sense.
Cheers
M
Re: X and Y axis not square
July 27, 2015 03:08PM
Sounds like your X axis (front to back) that holds the hot end is not perpendicular to the Y axis (print bed) that goes left to right. It's quite easy to fix. Since the X axis rides on the Z axis up and down, if the Z rods go out of alignment, it reflects on the X axis. Looking from above, gently hold the X axis asembly at the motor that moves the X axis back and forth. Do not hild it at the hot end. Gently twist the assembly left or right until the X axis rods are perpendicular to the print bed.

You can prevent that from hapening in the future by building a support structure for the Z rods that keeps them in place.
July 28, 2015 01:15PM
Thanks rcjoseb, that has moved the axis but now I am worried that this will keep happening. I will look into making a support like you said.
M
August 02, 2015 09:09AM
i have built a support here that should help you : [github.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login