Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Um, I call it FunSmartBotspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by madmike8 
Um, I call it FunSmartBotspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 26, 2015 10:45PM
Well, you should all know by now that I'm not very mentally stable...

So, I crossed the Funbot with the Smartrap. No moving build surface. It uses bronze bushings of course, and trying to keep the Y Axis light as possible. 3/8" drill rods on the Z axis. 3/8" Aluminum tubes .049" thick walls on the X axis. The Y axis uses 5/16" Aluminum tubes .049" thick. I'm using a lite Nema Stepper on the Y axis too.

Re: Um, I call it FunSmartBotspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 27, 2015 05:18PM
If you are not mentally stable, I would hate to see your prints spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nice work. I like the Z axis setup you made. Looks really simple!
September 01, 2015 05:57AM
heeee, that's MY idea smiling smiley lol

I hope you go to the printing test with it ? I really imagined doing this for a smartrap V2 ! But i would make the X ( or Y ? ) not sliding ..just the head sliding on the axis, so we would take only the bed space ?

Very nice design.. strong and simple . congrats smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
Re: Um, I call it FunBot Simplespinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 03, 2015 02:15AM
I hooked up the X and Y steppers and gave it a test run. Since I don't have endstops on yet, I was pretty limited with what I could do.
Everything is kinda throwed together at the moment. I slso took some better pics of the Y axis.

Funbot Simple Test Run Video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 02:27AM by madmike8.
September 14, 2015 01:39AM
I've made some changes, and it's gotten better, but the Y axis still droops on extension. I think adding a horizontally mounted rod along with the vertical paired X axis rods would help this. I'm working on modifying the Z axis carriage for this and to be able to use a T8 leadscrew. I've also modded the base to remove the old Y axis stepper mount. I will update more when I get these mods done.
September 14, 2015 07:49AM
Wow.

I love this printer. Good design is simple design!!! and you can't get much more simple than this.

The biggest issue I see is getting the X and Y movements totally level so your print is level and square. However, I think your idea of adding the third rod on the x axis will help with this... all you need is the 3 rods to be minutely adjustable for length and be placed in a triangle, and you will be able to adjust level perfectly. I think that placing two rods on top and one on the bottom will make this easier.
September 14, 2015 11:38AM
I'm no designer by any means, but here's what I'm testing next. I added a spot for the T8 leadscrew nut on bottom, and the extra rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2015 11:41AM by madmike8.
September 14, 2015 12:19PM
I clipped off the mount for the old funbot Y stepper off the Z base mount. This will allow it to be moved to the corner of the base board

Moved things forward on the X Carriage. Added mounts for both X and Y endstops. Added 3rd X rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2015 12:46PM by madmike8.
September 14, 2015 01:49PM
COOL !!! See this is what I think the SmartRap, Funbot , Printrbot, etc. type of printer is all about. Certainly a big part of me choosing to build a RepRap and a SmartRap in particular was this easy update/modify ability.
Thanx MadMike this just gives me more incentive to get my SmartRap done in the next week or two and start printing.... and modding... and enjoying.

Tinpau
September 15, 2015 06:24PM
I got a couple of the new parts printed today.

Still need to get the X carriage printed.
October 06, 2015 10:50AM
Bump. Did you make any more progress? I am really curious.
October 06, 2015 11:56AM
Progress... Yes and No...

V2 adding the 3rd rod to the X axis worked great! Really stiff, and no droop on the Y axis... Bad news is I'm not a mechanical engineer... LOL... and putting the 3rd rod further from the belt path causes binding...

So... onwards to V3... trying to get the belt path as closer to the center of the rods.

I haven't printed these yet. I'm waiting to finish a 8mm version of the Funbot, and some more filament.
October 06, 2015 01:44PM
Sounds great! I cant wait to see the new revisions. If you havent already, I recommend creating a new page on the Reprap Wiki so you can document your process, and when you are done, post the final build process / BOM.
October 26, 2015 12:45PM
I broke this down to send parts to a friend for him to build a funbot. I will reprint it with updates though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login