Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What material are the Smartrap Alu printed pieces are made of and other questions

Posted by John Cummings 
What material are the Smartrap Alu printed pieces are made of and other questions
December 03, 2015 05:06AM
Hi all

Can someone tell me what material the Smartrap Alu printed pieces are made of? Are they PLA or ABS? If ABS are they printed on a Smartrap without a heated bed?

A couple of additional questions:

• Is there a simple (for beginners) guide on how to add a standard 20cm printed bed to a Smartrap Alu?
  • Has anyone tried using a paste extruder on the Smartrap? Maybe the Reprappro one?

Thanks
Re: What material are the Smartrap Alu printed pieces are made of and other questions
December 03, 2015 05:28AM
i have the same questions as it is my first 3d printer
i already have ordered my kit
Re: What material are the Smartrap Alu printed pieces are made of and other questions
December 03, 2015 03:28PM
Hi ,

All printed parts are made in PLA.. since the smartrap 2013 . We never changed . Maybe because we know perfectly how PLA behave ? for printing, for mechanical constraints, for heat resistance ( low ) . It's not the best but we know it very well.

The smartrapcore alu got a heated bed by default now .. all current kits and future one will have it. It's not really needed foor PLA but still give a better experience and it's really a must have for other plastics, so we made it standard.
LCD 2004 too and we just switched to all 8mm rods .

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
December 03, 2015 03:50PM
smartfriendz
The smartrapcore alu got a heated bed by default now .. all current kits and future one will have it. It's not really needed foor PLA but still give a better experience and it's really a must have for other plastics, so we made it standard.
LCD 2004 too and we just switched to all 8mm rods .
Great news does these updates are applied to the kits ordered on black friday or not?
Hi Serge

Thanks very much for the information, I guess its hard to update the pictures on the site when you're making a lot of changes to the kit to make it better smiling smiley

P.S I just watched the video for the speed test on Youtube and saw the different coloured printed parts, it would be really cool to have a 'rainbow kit' option when ordering the printer where each printed part is a random colour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2015 05:08PM by John Cummings.
December 03, 2015 05:19PM
thank you John,

Yes we are really bad in communication smiling smiley We actually sell kits with more features than advertised at the same price .. but at the same time , i like it . It's good to have good surprises sometimes ?

We will update pictures and infos.. I need badly to make a new video for the assembly with the last verrsion ! We are also pre-assembling modules now , so it's far more simple to build than before.. every part comes with screws , t-nuts , pulleys already attached to it . We need only one screwdriver and an allen key to build everything now .

We are quiet late in production because of black friday and christmass coming soon.. but I will take time this week end to make those really needed videos !

It's very good idea to have two or three colors kits.. we are starting to print all in 2 colors in the farm..maybe it will naturally mix at the end ? who knows smiling smiley

the Smartrap project

[smartfriendz.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[reprap.org]
[github.com]
doc assemblage: [reprap.org]
NEW: Forum smartfriendz: [smartraptalk.smartfriendz.com]
Thanks Serge

Nice to see the print farm on the Youtube channel today.

One last question, what brand of wood glue to you use for your print surface? I have tried a few different ones and none seem to work very well.
December 04, 2015 10:58AM
Hi Serge,
What is the expected date to start shipping smartcore alu kits ordered on blackfriday?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login