Using lead screws for the Z axis on the Smartrap Alu
December 07, 2015 04:52PM
Hi all

After reading this

[www.3ders.org]

I wondered if anyone had tried to replace or had thoughts on what would be needed to replace the Z axis threaded rod with lead screws on the Smartrap Alu? It seems to reduce backlash and wobble, I'm not sure if there is a large price difference.
Re: Using lead screws for the Z axis on the Smartrap Alu
December 08, 2015 12:20AM
Although my threaded rod was rough and my lead screw is smooth, I think adding the second threaded rod on z axis made the biggest difference to my print quality - really reduced the ripples due to bed lateral vibration during fast direction changes (infill). See Mandrav's build or my build log for pictures. Cost of a lead screw with nut is under £10 I think. You could buy three for £15 when I last looked, if you can wait for mail from China. I imagine if you are with the Smartcore community, you're probably an expert in waiting for parts from China! Don't forget you need to adapt/redesign your printed parts. I got away with adapting the one I had for a single screw but decided to completely redesign the z bracket for my 2 stepper system. Files are shared in my build log and I think they're on Thingiverse if you look for my same username. Main benefit for me was spacing the smooth rods further apart for more lateral rigidity. Obviously a second z stepper really benefits from a second pair of smooth rods (more cost) but I wouldn't rule out seeing some improvements from just having the second lead screw. Perhaps not worth the extra cost of lead screw and stepper if you're not going to add the extra rods though. Rambling now, so will off to bed.
December 08, 2015 05:05PM
Hi guys,

Another solution is to upgrade to AndreasL Z axis for the SmartRapCore : [www.thingiverse.com]

++JM
December 11, 2015 11:24AM
I am building one with a leadscrew.
My Z axis setup is inspired by the G&C printer but with the motor at the bottom and printed parts for the linear bearings and smoothrod holders.

I am currently waiting for the leadscrew and few other parts to arrive from robotdigg, then I will start a topic to present the build.
[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2015 05:47AM by s0me.
December 11, 2015 05:09PM
Amazing, please do post when you've done it smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login