Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building Makerbot in North Carolina

Posted by spacexula 
Building Makerbot in North Carolina
November 08, 2009 10:03PM
I am in Winston-Salem NC. Anyone else within an hour drive working on CNC or 3d printing?
Re: Building Makerbot in North Carolina
January 23, 2010 09:54PM
Makerbot built, now working on my mendel. Anyone in the area interested in building one themselves?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
March 10, 2010 02:30PM
Hi, I'm in High Point and have almost got my CNC Router completed. And I think next on my list is either a cupcake or a Mendel. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Mendel.

Of course it's one of a couple of projects I have going right now, which is about normal for me smiling smiley
RepStrap
March 10, 2010 03:26PM
I'm in the Charlotte area, just moved here from Winston-Salem (Mount Tabor). I'm in the process of creating a RepStrap (similar to the WolfStrap design). I'd love to get together and pick your brain... And perhaps printout some extruder parts....

Thanks,
Christopher

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 03:28PM by RepRapNC.
Re: RepStrap
March 11, 2010 01:11PM
I need to get something up and running first smiling smiley I finished the major assembly of a CNC router that I purchased from Bluumax yesterday. I just have to permanently mount the driver boards, and then configure the PC I'm going to use to control it and do some tests. Then I've got some stuff I'm wanting to make with it for some projects I'm working on. An instrument panel for my Jeep Cherokee, a new dash for my motorcycle, some signs and other stuff as well.

But I'm definitely interested in meeting other people in the area once I get mine up and running. I wonder how many other people are out here that just lurk?

Here's a link to the build pictures, once it's up and running I'll probably take more pictures and videos.

Oh yeah, I'm wanting to do some circuit boards too smiling smiley

[picasaweb.google.com]
March 12, 2010 11:58PM
Great pictures! Let me know how it goes. I hope to have something to show off soon. I'm in the final design phase, a friend is drawing it up for me. He's much better at Solidworks than I am... What is your take on the best extruder for a RepStrap?

Christopher
March 20, 2010 03:12AM
1 guy out of RTP built a Darwin, then sold it to a student. The hackerspace over in RTP ordered a bunch of Makerbots, but I understand they have went out of business. There are a few guys in southern Va, but that's about it. Been looking for people intersted in working together for months now...

Hit me up if you guys want to get a RepRap group going for the area, I don't mind sharing access to my printer.

March 20, 2010 11:37AM
I'm interested in starting up a group for the area.

I finished my router, and have posted a few more pictures, and a video with really bad aim smiling smiley

Pictures of the machine and my first project

Video of a test engraving with the default text from EMC2

So that's the good news. I tried to do a larger piece last night, and I had the z-axis coupler come loose because I had played around with it trying to get it to line up right when i was assembling it. I'm going to pull it out this afternoon and use some silicone adhesive to make sure it stays attached to the shaft of the motor while still remaining flexible.

I've also picked up some limit switches, hall effect transistors and some e-stop and power switches which I want to add to the machine. I think I'm also going to add a mercury switch as a shock sensor, so if something goes nuts with it (like the z-axis coming loose and gouging into the workpiece smiling smiley ) it will shut off automatically.
March 20, 2010 05:34PM
Dude, you need to post a blog about that. It would be informative for the community.

March 21, 2010 04:20AM
Dude, you need to post a blog about that. It would be informative for the community.

spacexula, wiki pages are much more useful.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 22, 2010 09:11AM
I'm trying to get a site setup, just haven't heard back from the hosting company yet. Once I do I'm going to have some pages up describing the projects I'm working on (Jeep, Motorcycle, this stuff, my RC stuff, )
March 22, 2010 05:06PM
spacexula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hit me up if you guys want to get a RepRap group
> going for the area, I don't mind sharing access to
> my printer.

Sorry I have not gotten back up with you guys, crazy around here the past few days.... I'd love to start up a group (like minds and all).

As for my lovely RepStrap, I've got a few more things to grab from "The Home Depot" and assembly can being. Although the longer I wait the more design change seem to happen....

What extruder choice did the two of you make? As well as material of choice; ABS,PLA,etc?

Thanks,
Christopher
March 23, 2010 10:02PM
If you are using a makerbot extruder, ABS is the best choice, a reprap extruder PLA is the best choice.

I only have a makerbot operational... so ABS for me.. I have 15 lb of the stuff

March 23, 2010 10:03PM
Blogspot is free, and what I use. The RepRap wiki is a great place for any innovation.

December 17, 2010 02:26AM
The lurkers, like me, probably don't have repraps... yet.

Also, I'm remembering a CNC milling machine being used to create a circuit board by the application of a layer of metal (and cover) and the subsequent milling of said layer before the application of another layer.
December 19, 2010 12:48PM
Milled PCBs is certainly one of the avenues they've been researching. Full copper PCBs are easy and cheap enough to get, there should be no need to apply metal to the board in a milling process.
May 02, 2011 11:14AM
Just place the last parts order for my Mendel. I've started to get the packages and hopefully I'll be able to start my build of mine soon.
hey anyone in nc have a working printer? id like to build one but dont want to buy into the ebay mania for the printed parts. would anyone print me a set of parts i allready have the motors arduino boards and controlers in my parts box
spacexula,

I am trying to find someone local (Winston – Salem / Greensboro) to collaborate with on projects that has a 3D printer. If interested please drop me an email – gtamfo@yahoo.com
May 17, 2012 10:09AM
You should stop by the Fablocker hackerspace sometime. All the guys who have printers are usually there either tweaking their current ones, or building new ones. Monday's are open house nights, Thursday's are building printers and classes on how to use a RepRap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login