Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mini mendel

Posted by Thav 
Mini mendel
April 29, 2010 02:45PM
So I've been thinking the easiest way for me to get a Mendel going and being able to start producing parts locally to RTP. Once I get that together, I figure I can start working on printing full sized Mendel parts (the ultimate goal) and sell the mini off.

Niel, have you looked at the mini mendel design at all, or played around with shelled parts? Part of the goal is to not ask you to spend 60 hours printing parts for the full Mendel! Could even be a weekend project. (by the way, I was the guy in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles t-shirt at maker faire).

Anyone else interested in this in the area? I saw that Darwin for sale as an opportunity to get RP in RTP up and running, but it didn't sound like the part quality was high enough for self replication.

-Tony
Re: Mini mendel
April 30, 2010 05:44PM
My mini mendel parts are done, I use a local supplier (Automotive Fasteners) for my threaded because they are cheaper than McMaster Carr, but they have a month lead time on rod so I am JUST now ready to put it together. I am just waiting for the wife to let me set up my video desk again before I start construction.

I actually made the 1st Mini Mendel production set, but deleted it last week because the new version is better. Mini Mendel is interesting, but it has drawbacks. It's costs within $50 of the full size Mendel, it requires the slightly less reliable bowden style extruder (you will have slight, but fixable oozebane setting issues), and it's a non suppoted design (not that that really matters at this point).

I have printed off 1/2 of a mini Mendel in shelled parts, if you need a set give me a PM and I will sell it to you cheap, somewhere around $100. The shelled parts MIGHT work out fine, but Marcus's shelled parts are still VERY beta.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 01, 2010 12:56PM
I figuered the savings in the RP parts would make for a little more than $50 in savings. If the full Mendel is a 60 hour print, and mini is even a 30 hour print (wiki promises something like 20, but I imagine that's optimistic), I figured one could at least get half off the normal $300+ of the Mendel RP parts, and then it seemed like the rest of the parts would be the same or cheaper. Maybe my research isn't thorough enough though! I'm still figuring out where to find the information I'm after.

I may work out the fastener and rod BOM cost for each through Fastenal and Wilder's here, then see about how feasible home etching will be for the electronics.
May 01, 2010 06:30PM
Problem currently is the mini Mendel parts are not available at any price.

I made the Electronics page in the BOM, it works out to $150 for a self sourced set of boards.

We now have 2 lasercut sets for Mendel, if these work out... well your not going to have RP problems for long.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
May 09, 2010 10:06AM
Even Isaac is looking pretty promising for getting prices down. Will need to review their design more though (as if I understand the other designs to begin with)
May 18, 2010 12:36PM
Just wanted to post to say I'm still thinking about this, but obviously there's a ton of reading to catch up on on the forums to get up to speed. Also been hanging around in IRC a bit.
June 10, 2010 12:32PM
Looks like some Mini-Mendel parts went for $130 on ebay, so I guess you got the pricing about right there ;]

Will be meeting with Steve this weekend to look at his Mendel parts. If that works out I will certainly be dropping this mini-mendel business for a while.
Mendel Kits ?
August 16, 2010 07:03PM
Hello all in NC (and the rest of you too).

I'm interested in the various types of 3D printing: extruded, fused powder(s), etc.

I've been trying to get involved with people local for advice on kits and obtaining kits/parts. I've not had much success. Luckily for me I've now located this forum in the RepRap forum.

Where do you meet? When? Etc. I'd love to meet up with folks in the Winston/Greensboro area, or the Raleigh/Durham/etc area. I live between those areas, and work in RTP. I'm willing to drive further if need be...

At moment I'm trying to decide where to throw my cash at, Min $$ for maximum 3D printing versatility of end product.
A 3D printer with parts printed, laser cut, or CNC is fine by me. I've looked at various kit sites and frustrated by the lack of a REAL address / contact information - besides email. I'm moving more and more away from the idea of extrusion because the resolution is lowish from the the printed parts I've seen to laser sintering... but... not really sure that's the best route to go either.

Suggestions? Ideas?

~Will
December 07, 2010 12:56PM
Hey Will,

If you ever do come back, it looks like the Huxley kit by techzone is a pretty good all in one kind of price right now. I'm in Raleigh and wouldn't mind talking to people and showing off my Mendel once I build it up.

-Tony
December 10, 2010 01:05PM
Hey, Tony!

I live in Youngsville and am new to all of this. If you wouldn't mind, would it be possible to come see your Mendel?

Thanks

SandMan
December 19, 2010 12:50PM
At this point I have almost all the parts I need, I just have to start building. I'm going to post a build log when I do get to it, and then I'd be happy to show it off once I have it running.

-Tony
January 14, 2011 11:24PM
Hey Thav,
I live in Chapel Hill and am currently in the middle-stages of building a repstrap from a cnc mill. On the off chance I get it to work, I was wondering if you found a good place to source parts locally? I'm interested in building perhaps a prusa mendel if I get the millstrap to work. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.
February 06, 2011 09:36AM
I haven't used any local source for hardware, but I know about

Wilders
2406 Alwin Ct
Raleigh 27604
833-2761

You could probably come in with the BOM and have them order something for you. A bit of a drive, it's sort of East Raleigh, near the junction of 440 and Capital Blvd.

There are a few Fastenal locations as well

[www.fastenal.com]

I've been recommended ADR Hydrocut for thick sheet, will be calling this week.
[www.adrhydrocut.com]

No good local electronics suppliers (or none that I know of). The folks at the splat space might have some more ideas [splatspace.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login