Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NC area 3D printing...

Posted by Aahz 
NC area 3D printing...
August 16, 2010 07:21PM
Hello all in NC (and the rest of you too).

I'm interested in the various types of 3D printing: extruded, fused powder(s), etc.

I've been trying to get involved with people local for advice on kits and obtaining kits/parts. I've not had much success. Luckily for me I've now located this forum in the RepRap forum.

Where do you meet? When? Etc. I'd love to meet up with folks in the Winston/Greensboro area, or the Raleigh/Durham/etc area. I live between those areas, and work in RTP. I'm willing to drive further if need be...

At moment I'm trying to decide where to throw my cash at, Min $$ for maximum 3D printing versatility of end product.
A 3D printer with parts printed, laser cut, or CNC is fine by me. I've looked at various kit sites and frustrated by the lack of a REAL address / contact information - besides email. I'm moving more and more away from the idea of extrusion because the resolution is lowish from the the printed parts I've seen to laser sintering... but... not really sure that's the best route to go either.

Suggestions? Ideas?

~Will
Re: NC area 3D printing...
August 17, 2010 05:28PM
As far as I know there are only 3 Makerbots/RepRaps in the State. Stefan in Charolette, Me in Winston Salem, and Jeff in Durham. I think I am the only one that really is very open with the hobby.

If you want to see the printer operate, or learn to operate it yourself just contact me. I am off M-Th, so any time day or night is cool with me.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
August 30, 2010 05:34PM
Make that a fourth Makerbot!!!

I'm in Winston-Salem. Spacexula, I've been a huge fan of yours on Thingiverse for months! If I had only known you were local, I might've talked to you about printing reprap pieces before I bought my makerbot!!!!

To think, all those months I was saving up and planning to get a makerbot, lusting over the printed parts you were posting on thingiverse and wishing I could!

I plan to be pretty open with my plans. Get from the community, give to the community, that's my motto!!!

My makerbot is 95% operational, Mk4 plastruder with the Mk5 drive wheel. The Z driver has a few issues but makerbot is sending a replacement today... I also have an engraving laser I got for it that I plan to print a mount for once the z driver is good...

I'm totally down with meeting up and collaborating.
September 15, 2010 10:04AM
Hello!

I've obtained a lots of parts over the last few weeks. Metric drill bits/6224ZZ bearings were a pain to obtain locally. I had to order some to be shipped to me. I had one more 624ZZ bearing to obtain, and had to buy $25 worth of materials from the company. Sooo, I've got 24 left over.

I just got the remaining tools, today, to start working on the Mendel printer. I hope, if the weekend isn't to busy to have it assembled, minus a print head by next week. I'm trying to decide which print head to purchase at the moment. I hope to have one purchased/shipped to me by the time the Mendel frame is assembled and tested.

I'll keep you all updated.

~Will
September 15, 2010 05:24PM
Hey Aahz!

I met spacexula last week, he actually helped me with my hot end issues and I've printed a bunch of stuff since then! My advice on printheads is limited but I will say that makergear seems to be the place to go... I had some fairly common issues with gaps and filament stripping in my stock makerbot hot end. I had already ordered the makergear operator's pack when I saw spacexula's makergear hot end... but it definitely vindicated the purchase. Plus, the nozzle diameter can be ordered smaller (I got a .35 but they stock a .25 as well) and approaching the accuracy of the linear axes (about .3 from my understanding) of the makerbot... longer but better prints is my hope...
September 15, 2010 05:35PM
Well isn't this timely... I close this window, then go to makergear to look up the instructions for the operator's pack... and they have their new plastruder for pre-sale!

It is VERY compact. And it uses a Wade-style driver. And a brutstruder, designed by our very own spacexula! Congrats man, I know you've been working hard on this. Anyways, even though it's an 'unproven' design at this point, I'd put my money on it being the cheapeast best extruder you can get right now. Makerbot's Mk5 plastruder might be more reliable but neither machine has enough field hours to really be able to claim anything definite on that one yet... and for the price difference, it doesn't seem worth it...

On the other hand, Bre vlogged about the abp and Mk5 this week and makes some pretty impressive claims...
September 16, 2010 04:21AM
I designed that Extruder for for Rick, we are still putting the final touches on it.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
December 07, 2010 12:57PM
Ah, Will I replied to you in that other thread. Guess that teaches me to post before reading. Glad to see there's some activity going on in the area.
December 10, 2010 01:03PM
Hey, Guys,

I'm new to this, but am considering building my own Mendel. Before I dive in, I'd like to attend some meetings and talk to some folks to learn the ins and outs. I live in Youngsville which is North of Raleigh. So, the RDU area would be best for me.

Are there any meetings coming up soon?

Thanks in advance,

SandMan
December 17, 2010 02:14AM
I live hours away from all of you and cannot get anywhere... yet. Though I am very glad to see that makerbots/repraps exist in this state.
December 11, 2011 10:24PM
I'm in North Raleigh, and finally printing with a Sells Mendel. Once I get a week or two more experience calibrating and printing, I'd be happy to entertain some onlooking.

Will probably post progress to Google+ [plus.google.com]
May 17, 2012 06:33AM
spacexula,

I am trying to find someone local (Winston – Salem / Greensboro) to collaborate with on projects that has a 3D printer. If interested please drop me an email – gtamfo@yahoo.com
wjohn
January 11, 2013 05:01PM
Hi Thav. I am on the south side of Raleigh and i am thinking of purchasing a 3d printer. Just not sure which one. How are things going with the one you own?
February 01, 2013 03:44PM
Hello All,

I am looking for a company/knowledgeable party to work with to develop 3D printing materials in North Carolina. I work for a custom resins and fibers company and have some ideas of how to expand into this market.

We are based in Raleigh and Chapel Hill.

Send me an email at petergallo@globaldirectionsllc.com if you are interested! Thanks.
February 23, 2013 06:50PM
Wow, not much activity on this forum.

I'm currently finishing a Mendel build using Gen 6 electronics and Lulzbot hot end.

haven't printed anything yet, but close.

Ken
February 28, 2013 04:07PM
I can't help but ask what sort of polymers are used for 3D printing. I spent a decade in fiber extrusion and developing additives for fibers, so I wonder what sort of polymers are in use. And, given the resolution of a 3D printed object, am I safe in guessing that colored polymers have to be fiber-grade if pigmented rather than dyed, as opposed to injection-molding grade colors?

Regards,
mc
February 28, 2013 04:09PM
Never mind my question confused smiley I should have googled before asking.

Regards,
mc
March 07, 2013 12:46PM
wjohn,

Plastibot is located in Raleigh, NC close to the RDU airport. Plastibot offers a 20 hrs workshopt that comes with all the materials to build a reprap mendel like printer. More details on www.pastibot.com

Luis Freeman
March 21, 2013 01:27PM
Need help with diagnosing a problem with my new gen6 board with latest version of Marlin.

Getting compile errors when trying to change and compile the configuration.H file.

Anyone in NC available for help?

Also building a RoStock Max 3d printer

Ken
March 29, 2013 01:06PM
I am just learning about 3d printing and I would love to see one at work please contact me at timewise3805@gmail.com
June 05, 2013 04:58PM
Just registered on this forum...I am in Western NC...I have been working on a Delta style bot for about 2 months and have the basic machine built and working mechanically and electrically except for the hotbed and the hot end. I will be working on the hotbed details next but can not decide which hotend to use. The J head hotend looks good for my application but I have read about a new hotend called the Pico which looks very good but there is no release date for it as yet. Does anyone know when it may be available to the public?

Thanks

SR
Looking for someone in Triad Area with 3D printer to produce prototype parts.
2 unique parts - 3 of each - 6 pieces total all 1/2" high.
Honeycomb interior preferred.
Will pay for printing material plus a reasonable service fee.
August 04, 2013 12:14AM
JB, it's been over a month since your post, but I'm in Winston and I have a Plastibot Prusa/Mendel printer... still need those prints?
August 15, 2013 02:32PM
Wissing,

I´m looking to get a print out of a custom made wedding ring, maybe you could help me with this? Have a solid works model of the ring.
August 16, 2013 11:01PM
Hmm... sounds like a hi-res print. Tell you what, send me the file at prototypesplusnc@gmail.com and I'll print you a free sample - I can't imagine it would take too long.
December 26, 2013 09:37PM
Hi,

I am here to announce that NC now has a professional 3D printing service! X9 Technologies
We have a full range of 3D Printers and design services ranging for everyone from hobbyist & maker to enterprise prototyping.
Check us out and mention this ad for a special discount.

Thanks
David Bates
September 21, 2014 06:32PM
I'm looking for someone in the Raleigh area who is able to calibrate these things. I'm having no luck. If anyone is willing to meet up and show me what I'm doing wrong, I'd greatly appriciate it.
November 19, 2015 01:04PM
Hey everyone! I purchased my first printer, a 6th generation Electron3D Prusa i3 from 3dprintersonlinestore.com. At first, the customer service was quick in making sure everything came in with my order, but I have not heard from them since. I live in Raleigh near NCSU and do mechanical design work in RTP. Going through a lot of initial questions and would love any assistance available. I also like to drink a beer while I work on my printer. A local group with reprap experience would be great! Thanks!
December 23, 2015 11:59AM
tamills
Hey everyone! I purchased my first printer, a 6th generation Electron3D Prusa i3 from 3dprintersonlinestore.com. At first, the customer service was quick in making sure everything came in with my order, but I have not heard from them since. I live in Raleigh near NCSU and do mechanical design work in RTP. Going through a lot of initial questions and would love any assistance available. I also like to drink a beer while I work on my printer. A local group with reprap experience would be great! Thanks!

tamills
there r a few ppl trying to get a group together here. I can't say I am an expert but all my knowledge comes from building my own coreXY machine, watching my prints print, and reading a lot of forums and posts. It is an active sport that cannot get better without experience. Every model has its own printer tweak requirements, and every printer is different. I am a retired EE and live in Cary. Be glad to share any info that may help you.+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login