Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who's in K-Falls?

Posted by TheGuy 
Who's in K-Falls?
November 10, 2007 10:44AM
I live in southern Oregon, would love to communicate with any fellow raprappers in this part of the world.

The Guy
Re: Who's in K-Falls?
November 11, 2007 01:03PM
The Guy,

I'm in K-Falls. Where you at? I am going to OIT as a Mechanical Engineering student, 2nd year. I didn't expect other people to be RepRapping around here! Great to know someone is close by.

I've helped a buddy start on a McWire RepStrap up in the Portland area so there are at least three of us in Oregon. Also, I just got OIT to pay for my McWire RepStrap so the college will shortly have such capabilities available for a wider audience to use--namely, the student body and professors--so we should be able to get quite a few parts made once other people start becoming involved.

Cheers!
Me Too!
November 24, 2007 04:10PM
I'm in ashland, or I dont have a RepRap but i'd love to get involved!
Re: Me Too!
November 24, 2007 04:12PM
Would you all have any tips on startup/ getting parts?
November 24, 2007 05:20PM
I would do the McWire RepStrap if you wanted to get started right away. Read this forum--longest we have, I think!--and try that out. Post if you have problems. I have a half completed McWire design and another Frankenstein machine that is half done from scavanged parts of a Universal Stereoplotter from OIT.

Can you machine your stuff or will you be ordering the extruder from the RRRF store? If you want to machine, I have the AutoCAD files I'm using for mine. Had a heck of a time extracting the dimensions from the files others posted--not that I'm not greatful!--but they are much better now. Let me know if you need them or need help.

Also, wait on the steppers until we get them in the RRRF store. Should be cheaper there.
Anonymous User
November 24, 2007 08:53PM
I cna't machene anything that can't be done in wood...i guess i'll have to get an extruder from the RRRf store. How much would you estimate the project will cost and where do you get your printing plastic/ what kind?
November 24, 2007 09:51PM
So far I've spent about $600 but I had to buy tooling and such for this project. Didn't have clamps and stuff I needed, pipe wrenches, drill bits, taps, etc. Subtracting tooling costs out of this I would say closer to $500.

I got my plastic--that I hope to use soon!--from the RRRF store. I haven't even looked around anyplace local yet. I suppose it can be had pretty cheap anywhere. I'm going to use HDPE for my first tries. I like that no one has printed in hdpe at room temperature before. Makes the whole thing much more worthwhile for me as it hasn't been done before.

I recommend getting any kind of kit things you need from Zach through the RRRF store. He will be having a McWire RepStrap kit available fairly soon so if you aren't too keen on spending (read: wasting) money learning things then do the kit through RepRap. However, if you don't mind taking a bit longer and learning a bit more in the bargain, I would say start now! I like doing it the second way.

Demented
Anonymous User
November 24, 2007 11:13PM
Yikes! i wasn't expecting a bill that high! what were the aproxamant costs of the various parts? i might be able to find some deals out and about. P.S. is there a PDF of the plans?
Thanks
Will O.
Anonymous User
November 26, 2007 12:05AM
Nevermind about the plans PDF (i found the instructible). I checked and my dad has most of the pipe needed and says the channels can be pretty cheap out in white city. If I use some type of wood composite lamanate (which we have some of) for the platforms, I might be able to get the extruder/steppermotors/ control units for Xmas presents and get a working McWire Repstrap by Mid-january! Exciting!

Will O
November 26, 2007 12:55AM
Cool. Posted the stuff anyway. No problems.
DentroMan
November 26, 2007 01:17PM
ya. We posted within 2 min of each other... Thanks though!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login