Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Science!

Posted by pbrstreetgang 
Science!
July 05, 2014 10:02PM
What's really lacking from the reprap project is scientific data. There are so many projects out there that claim major advances in rapid prototyping, but there is NO scientific data. NO actual information. It's one thing to post a product's design. It's another to understand and proselytize the product's limitations. Let's get some charts and graphs. Actual information, raw data on the gear we are using. It is critically important that we know the actual capabilities of the products we are using.
Re: Science!
July 12, 2014 10:26PM
Anything in particular that you want. If I design a printer, I can publish the speed, resolution, accuracy, acceleration, volume, materials, max extrusion rate, print quality, etc. Most all of that is objective fact. Print quality is a little tricky and we post pictures of prints.

I have seen many examples of great science in these forums. People have tried many solvents on PLA. People have tested the strength of the parts. etc.

When I am designing, I hide a lot of the science. (Mostly out of laziness because good writeups take time. If anybody questions a design decision, I usually have 20 reasons why I did it that way.) I should probably share more. I will have a design challenge. I will run the numbers and do simulations. I will test mockups and prototypes. A lot of what I do is the end product of a lot of science. +1 on the idea that we should make decisions based on science and not just on "conventional wisdom".

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
July 14, 2014 03:36AM
I'll post a couple excel files once I get my tests done. That's the last thing I really wanted to accomplish. Seems like independent developers are held up to higher scrutiny than the big names. Anyway I'm gonna cease developement and production for a year or so. Maybe go back into construction or general machining. There's too many snake oil salesman out there like prusa and his $100 POS. Best take a step back and wait till the market purges these bafoons.
July 14, 2014 10:15AM
@pbrstreetgang: There will never a shortage of people that make false or misleading claims. You might be in for a very long break if you wait for them to go away. I think the best approach would be to educate the public.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login