Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any way to attach thermistor and heater besides tape?

Posted by foul_owl 
Any way to attach thermistor and heater besides tape?
July 02, 2014 04:06PM
Hi folks,

I currently have my thermistor and heater attached to the hot end via kapton tape. It's working, but it looks like the tape is loosing its adhesion.

I would like a much cleaner solution. Is there a better way to do things here? Maybe a metal bracket that clamps these parts in place?

Edit:
Here's one extremely compelling reason I want a better method than tape to attach the thermistor:
[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 04:13PM by foul_owl.
Re: Any way to attach thermistor and heater besides tape?
July 02, 2014 04:19PM
On my Prusa both heater and thermistor is placed in drilled holes in the hot end body. Don't know if that is possible to implement on yours
Ha det gött
Bosse

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
July 02, 2014 05:10PM
It is one reason I like the new E3D v6. The thermistor is locked firmly in place.
[e3d-online.com]
July 02, 2014 06:20PM
Does the E3D v6 work with the i3 and the mendel90?
July 02, 2014 07:20PM
E3D v6 will definitely work with the i3, at the very least. You may need to print a new extruder, but the v5 designs on thingiverse will work without modification.

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 03, 2014 06:40AM
I have an E3D v6 in my Mendel90. Here are files for the parts I modified for it:
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 03, 2014 11:23AM
I use high temperature silicone: [uk.rs-online.com] for attaching both thermistor and heater cardrige.
July 03, 2014 01:44PM
Ralph.Hilton
I have an E3D v6 in my Mendel90. Here are files for the parts I modified for it:
[www.thingiverse.com]
A little uneducated ... winking smiley
Will this work on my Prusa I3 Reworked ..... Got a little not perfect printout for extruder in my kit
Ha det gött
Bosse

Prusa i3 Reworked, Delivered March 28 2014, RAMPS 1.4
Göteborg, Sweden
July 04, 2014 07:19AM
Zennmaster has a good article on using exhaust repair putty for holding a thermistor in place. Not sure how well it would work for a heater.

Zennmaster Blog

I've done this with an E3Dv5 and it works great.
July 04, 2014 04:34PM
I use Permatex ultra-copper to set the thermistor and resistor in place, then wrap with kapton a couple turns. I've experimented with then putting a single turn of copper tape around the kapton and securing it at the seam with a drop of solder. Works pretty well and keeps the kapton from unpeeling.
July 04, 2014 04:57PM
just some steel wire....
July 04, 2014 08:05PM
Thermal epoxy. If you want something a little less permanent, mix in some thermal grease with the thermal epoxy.
July 07, 2014 06:07AM
Fire cement

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 07, 2014 08:39PM
Thanks folks.

I'm planning on getting a Mendel90 with a E3Dv6 for my next printer, but I would like to refine my current Prusa i3 + Greg's Accessible Extruder + J head mk V. (Not sure exact revision)

I like the idea of using high temp epoxy/putty/etc. I suppose if the thermistor fails I can always drill it out.
July 08, 2014 06:38AM
Tap your heater block for M3 threads. Dig one of those little brass hex-head chassis standoffs out of your parts bin. Glue your thermistor into the top (threaded hole) end of the standoff. Thread the standoff into the tapped hole in your heater block. Never seize on the threads may aid with future removal. For the pennies that a standoff costs, this should be the standard on all hotends for safety reasons.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login