Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning PLA, ABS, and Nylon

Posted by MrDoctorDIV 
Burning PLA, ABS, and Nylon
August 14, 2014 03:48PM
Did some testing today. Nylon seems to be the least flammable, PLA is closer, and then there's ABS that loves to burn all the things. I had three different PLA manufacturers [only two made it to video], but only one of ABS and Nylon. Each PLA burned different from the others. PushPlastic's seem to have a lot of sparking in it, while Chinese was very even and consistent. ABS seems to burn closer to that of wood, giving off little, black pieces of ashes. Nylon will burn, but it needs a more burn friendly shape and environment; PLA burns just a bit better.
I did this mostly to see for myself how they burn. I'm a very hands-on learner, I like to touch and feel how things work; see them in motion. Anyways, here for your visibility. 'Scuse the heavily scientific environment and phone camera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 03:51PM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Anonymous User
Re: Burning PLA, ABS, and Nylon
August 14, 2014 08:16PM
This gives me an idea. 3D printed PLA candles. Smells like pancakes.
August 14, 2014 10:26PM
I actually thought about that too, but it burns away too quickly and a wick would just light the rest on fire. It did have a relatively sweet scent to it though.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
August 14, 2014 10:58PM
MrDoctorDIV
I actually thought about that too, but it burns away too quickly and a wick would just light the rest on fire. It did have a relatively sweet scent to it though.

the idea does have some merit, in a long string like filament it would burn quickly, however if you printed a high density cylinder with a small hole through the middle for a wick it would pool around the wick like it should and take a lot longer to burn, hopefully in practice the molten pla does burst into flames before it gets sucked up the wick

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Anonymous User
August 14, 2014 11:11PM
I'm less concerned about whether it can be done. More concerned about whether burning pla releases carcinogens or other noxious fumes.
August 15, 2014 01:49AM
AmericanAnimal
I'm less concerned about whether it can be done. More concerned about whether burning pla releases carcinogens or other noxious fumes.

i don't think it does, but it would obviously be worth checking before actually doing anything like a 3d printed candle

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 15, 2014 09:50AM
I did in fact wear a HEPA mask while performing these tests, just in case.
"PLA also will not emit toxic fumes when incinerated" so says here.

A2
August 15, 2014 02:56PM
The fillers might not burn clean.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login