Smoke detector selection
October 10, 2014 10:29PM
Seems like mounting a smoke detector near the printer is a good idea. The two major groups are photoelectric and ionization. Has anyone looked into which type is better for this use, in terms of both sensitivity and false alarms? Does it differ for ABS vs PLA vs Nylon? I haven't tried burning any of them. Or a printer.
Re: Smoke detector selection
October 11, 2014 07:58AM
Whatever you do, stay away from the Nest wifi units. The reviews on Amazon say that they have serious problems with both false alarms and not alarming during actual fires.....
October 11, 2014 09:02AM
vreihen
Whatever you do, stay away from the Nest wifi units. The reviews on Amazon say that they have serious problems with both false alarms and not alarming during actual fires.....

Sounds like this xkcd review
October 15, 2014 09:35PM
tray
Seems like mounting a smoke detector near the printer is a good idea. The two major groups are photoelectric and ionization. Has anyone looked into which type is better for this use, in terms of both sensitivity and false alarms? Does it differ for ABS vs PLA vs Nylon? I haven't tried burning any of them. Or a printer.

Haven't tried it with filament, but a photo smoke is FAR less likely to false-alarm than an ion. A photo responds to to smoldering fires and is much more likely to repond to a real fire before an ion will.

Just my 2 cents....

"I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that
we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street"

-Stephen Hawking
October 18, 2014 07:02PM
I have installed an ionisation type fire detector that has a relay and cuts power to the printer. I have been using it for over 6 months without any problems. I tested it with a lighted match but it has never been used in anger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login