Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Float glass vs. Borosilicate glass for FDM printing

Posted by AndrewBCN 
Float glass vs. Borosilicate glass for FDM printing
March 22, 2015 08:47PM
I would like to start a debate over the use of float glass vs. borosilicate glass in our FDM printers, and any related safety issues.

Any comments and opinions on this matter? Thanks for posting them in this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 12:32PM by AndrewBCN.
Re: Float glass vs. Borosilicate glass for FDM printing
March 23, 2015 07:41AM
Can you also include the use of round glass mirrors in this discussion? They are available for peanuts in dollar stores as party/home decoration supplies, being used as center pieces for table ornaments, candle holders, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/Set-10-Diameter-Mirrors-Centerpieces/dp/B001E00IKM/ref=sr_1_29

I've seen several Delta printer owners using them as build surfaces...both with and without heat. The glass they are made of is thin, sometimes under 3mm thick. You can order a 10-pack of 12-inch (~300mm) mirrors from Amazon for a few dollars more than a single 300mm borosilicate glass disc, and I can see how people are tempted by the price.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 07:48AM by vreihen.
March 23, 2015 12:39PM
vreihen
Can you also include the use of round glass mirrors in this discussion?
Definitely yes, mirrors are another inexpensive alternative. There is an IKEA square mirror that is exactly 200x200 and so perfectly fits over a MK2B heatbed, and it costs less than 2€/unit (however it comes in packs of four).
I have bought a pack but have not tried them yet.
March 23, 2015 02:05PM
I ordered a bunch of 1.9mm thick picture framing glass. It works flawlessness despite being thin. Never breaks. And because it is thin the weight of the Y carriage is reduced. I did tear out chunks of glass when removing parts printed with ColorFabb XT and Taulman T-glase; they adhere brutally. Likely I should have turned down the temp of the heat bed. Float glass has been fine for me.

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login