Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

terminal got burnt

Posted by sarf2k4 
Re: terminal got burnt
May 03, 2015 04:35PM
Those are exactly what I was recommending, and considering that there are two working in parallel, can already take 16 amps. Removal of the slip connection removes the point of failuren- the next most likely failure point will be the PCB itself, and a connector won't fix that, so I think you are fine.

Most of the plugin failures I have seen are in applications at far less than 8 amps . . .

- Tim
May 04, 2015 07:18AM
tadawson
Those are exactly what I was recommending, and considering that there are two working in parallel, can already take 16 amps.

The two ground connections on a RAMPS work in parallel, but the +12V connections do not. One feeds the bed heater circuit, the other feeds everything else. So if a 10A bed heater is used, the 8A terminal block is being overloaded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 07:18AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 04, 2015 07:24AM
dc42
tadawson
Those are exactly what I was recommending, and considering that there are two working in parallel, can already take 16 amps.

The two ground connections on a RAMPS work in parallel, but the +12V connections do not. One feeds the bed heater circuit, the other feeds everything else. So if a 10A bed heater is used, the 8A terminal block is being overloaded.

Thank you for the further explanations, I did a continuity test and a bit surprised on the ground ports, but I guess both are okay since it is a ground anyway but another 2 pair did have a current for about 2 second then no more. It doesn't matter I guess cause its probably how the board works, the board didn't explode when I tried with the 8A block while heating up the bed only.

Regards
Sarf
May 10, 2015 12:25AM
For what it's worth, I got lazy (no parts in stock) and completed my build with the included connector (supposedly 16a). Well, 10 hours of use later, one melted pin and an intermittent connection (no board damage - caught it in time). No way I was over 10a on the pin, much less 16a . . . A close examination of the failed part revealed a distinct lack or markings for any certification standards or maker - just a '16a', unlike an authentic part I have (wrong pin count . . . ) leading me to believe that the Chinese have poorly knocked off yet another component to inferior standards, and likely this is a reason for so many failures. (This one just overheated and melted the shell, which got into the pins, and acted like an insulator, the net result of which was my hot end temp dropping like a rock mid print . . .

- Tim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login