Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS Outgassing

Posted by foul_owl 
ABS Outgassing
July 01, 2015 05:50PM
Hi folks,

I have heard that ABS outgasses for a bit after the print is completed. How long should I let the completed print sit in a ventilated room? 24 hours? Is there a way to mitigate this outgassing? The parts tend to lose the chemically smell when I wash them in water I have noticed.

Thanks!
Re: ABS Outgassing
August 08, 2015 06:15PM
Bump.
Re: ABS Outgassing
August 10, 2015 12:41AM
I don't have a lot of knowledge but I thought once it was cooled, it stopped outgassing about as much as its going to. when I've vaccum formed 2part silicone molds the outgas phase is super quick. like 2-5 min? at that point its set up and unless I stick my nose to it I don't smell anything even if I store a bunch of them in a closet for weeks. *after I wash off the release agent- it smells and is greasy.

I personally don't worry about most chemicals/materials after they've "set up". Some adhesives I've worked with were drawn out, but, they also had VERY SLOW setup & cure times(24-48hrs+). Some chemicals will (i don't know if its the right word) leach out of plastics when heated/cooled... but its not outgassing... some processes when working with plastics require heat/wash cycles before you try to bond/work with the material.

I think its about when its hot & being worked that it outgasses, after that I think its as safe as any other abs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login