Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning down the house.

Posted by ShaolinSolidus 
Burning down the house.
September 17, 2015 04:28PM
Ahhhhh watch out.... lol sorry. Anyway this morning I woke up to my smoke detectors going off. I had been printing PLA for the past couple of days on my brand spanking new printer, a diy prusa i3. I decided I would switch to trying ABS, well with doing so I had to increase the temp of my heated bed and my extruder. I hammered off a couple of cooling ducts and some parts for my NES pi case, no problems there. So I started an iPhone dock for my brothers car and let it print over night ( having done successfully with PLA for the past week ). From what I can find it looks like the wire from the power supply to the MKS GEN board had melted through and finally failed at the boards connector. I had stupidly trusted every aspect of this printer and the assumed testing the supplier should have done. After closer inspection, the 12v power wire a pears to be no larger than either an 18 or 16 gauge, and considering the power supply is rated at 30A I should have run parallel feeds or up sized the power wire, I should also have supplied fuses (which are mysteriously absent from the kit) anyway just thought I would share the tragedy that befell my poor little printer. And now for some of the aftermath picture

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 04:30PM by ShaolinSolidus.
Re: Burning down the house.
September 21, 2015 11:34PM
I don't think ABS had anything to do with it... the short just happened while printing it.

Fuses are good and 18 or 16g should be good to plenty to carry 30amps @ 12v for a couple of feet.

Lots of kits are pretty scary though... hot smiley

Pretty sweet fire though... smiling smiley

Thanks for sharing.
September 22, 2015 12:02AM
$1.50 at Lowes or Home Depot
will get you 2ft by 2ft ceramic tile
to put your fire starter -- oh I mean your electronics -- a top
to prevent torching your wood bench

A couple of spacers under tile would make it even more better

All my battery charging is on ceramic tile or cement board

The only thing I have had is the bad smell
from letting magic smoke out of components!!!

confused smiley
October 17, 2015 11:06PM
I had to up my heated bed wire gauge after I found my plastic wire wrap was melted. Replaced 18GA stranded withe 14 or 16 solid.

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
May 17, 2016 11:08AM
Dude that is crazy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login